Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Vader says to Leia that they intercepted a transmission going to "this ship". But in Rogue One, the transmission went to the Rebel Flagship, and Leia's ship was docked inside.

Also, in RO Vader CLEARLY sees the Blockade Runner ship leaving the Rebel Flagship. But in ANH he indicates that Leia's ship was on a fake diplomatic mission, obviously not part of a battle.

Sounds like Lucas intended for Leia's ship to be in deep space when it received the transmission, then for Vader's ship to track down the destination for the signal and start chasing the suspicious "diplomatic" ship in the general area.

It's more exiting the way it happened in RO, though.

Then again, the scene in ANH isn't really consistent with itself. If the rebels were pretending to be on a "diplomatic" mission, why would they start shooting at the "cops" that pulled them over? Why would Leia herself shoot a cop trying to hit her with a "stun" weapon if she's trying to sell the fact that she's on a diplomatic mission? I never really paid attention to these details until just now.
Good point

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I was under the impression the guy Cassian shot was about to throw a grenade where Jyn was crouched

If it was they needed to make it clearer. Dude was definitely about to throw a grenade but I never saw it as him about to endanger Jyn. :jbhmm:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Can we talk about how almost 75% of the teaser trailer got cut out of the movie?

Here's a great article on it: https://www.inverse.com/article/25246-rogue-one-trailer-scenes-missing-from-final-film-star-wars

Was anyone disappointed by any of the cuts? The only ones I really missed was Forest's "What will you do when they catch you" speech. That sounded so badass in the trailer. And I liked his voice better in the trailer too. It was too whiny and weird in the movie. The shot of Krennic walking through the water with his cape dragging was kinda cool too, that would have been nice to see.

On the other hand, I think it was refreshing that the marketing for the film ended up being completely different than what we got in the final cut. I hate how I end up seeing 50% of the movie before the actual movie drops. I wonder if it will start a new trend in deceptive trailers :jbhmm:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
After watching this a second time, I have to agree. I don't get the complaints about pacing and it being slow in the first act. People can't complain about lack of character development one hand and then the exposition and interactions needed to build characters on another. The third act wouldn't have even made sense without the first act.

too many of the characters is in this movie are introduced in a huge expository mess.

when we first meet han solo in ANH he's not reciting his role in the story for us, he's there just doing his own thing hanging out in the cantina. it's the audience that barges in on him. after 5 minutes we already know that he is a pilot, a smuggler, an a$$hole, and a killer who is on the run because he owes money to a gangster. his entire story is laid out for us from the moment we meet him.

the defect imperial pilot... the kid was a good actor and i enjoyed watching him... but who is he? why did he defect? what stake does he have in this war personally? the movie only scratches the surface of who these people are and doesn't really explore them much as characters. he's... courageous? that's about all i can say.

it's not like there's much plot going on anyway (there's a war going on, there's a death star being built)... so why waste all that time setting things up when they can spend that same time on developing the characters? if they had gone the extra mile of really building each character and fully fleshing out the entire crew, this movie could have been on a whole other level of greatness.

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
too many of the characters is in this movie are introduced in a huge expository mess.

when we first meet han solo in ANH he's not reciting his role in the story for us, he's there just doing his own thing hanging out in the cantina. it's the audience that barges in on him. after 5 minutes we already know that he is a pilot, a smuggler, an a$$hole, and a killer who is on the run because he owes money to a gangster. his entire story is laid out for us from the moment we meet him.

the defect imperial pilot... the kid was a good actor and i enjoyed watching him... but who is he? why did he defect? what stake does he have in this war personally? the movie only scratches the surface of who these people are and doesn't really explore them much as characters. he's... courageous? that's about all i can say.

it's not like there's much plot going on anyway (there's a war going on, there's a death star being built)... so why waste all that time setting things up when they can spend that same time on developing the characters? if they had gone the extra mile of really building each character and fully fleshing out the entire crew, this movie could have been on a whole other level of greatness.

I actually kind of agree. Outside of Jyn, everything we know about the background of the other characters is extremely surface-level.

I think if we knew their stories, their deaths would've had much more of an emotional impact than they did.

But I expect the comics and novels to establish their backgrounds at some point.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True but once they knew the fleet was up there it was a safer bet to transmit it. If they tried to escape with L that chaos goin on there's a good chance they get shot down or caught before they even make it to a ship

If I was not mistaken, the stormtroopers were swarming around K2 and K2 had to lock the vault so it was no OTHER alternative anyway.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If there was a Jedi around to teach him and train him he could be probably become one.

That's what I was thinking. Being that this was 20 years after Episode 3, he would of missed his opportunity had he was discovered to of being force sensitive.