Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Feel like they were taking out Star Destroyers a little too easy in the final act. They took one out with an ion bomb run and another 2 with a small ass tugboat ship pushing them together. It was like they werent even a threat. They also went a little too heavy with the force talk. In this joint damn near the whole rebellion was talking about the force but in the OG joint it was seen as make believe voodoo magic.

I want to see a movie of Vader hunting down all the Jedi.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
. They also went a little too heavy with the force talk. In this joint damn near the whole rebellion was talking about the force but in the OG joint it was seen as make believe voodoo magic.

By the Empire/average citizen. The Rebellion been on the force's tip since Star Wars, they love the Jedi style.

Which makes sense considering Bail not only knew that Obi-Wan was a alive but knew where to find him. So I'm guessing the Rebellion always kept that knowledge of the Jedi with them.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
By the Empire/average citizen. The Rebellion been on the force's tip since Star Wars, they love the Jedi style.

Which makes sense considering Bail not only knew that Obi-Wan was a alive but knew where to find him. So I'm guessing the Rebellion always kept that knowledge of the Jedi with them.

The rebellion was using "May the force be with you" as a rallying cry in this film, in episode 4 nobody in the rebellion mentions it at all. If it was more in the background it woulda blended in more but it was pretty jarring how much they were talking about it.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
The rebellion was using "May the force be with you" as a rallying cry in this film, in episode 4 nobody in the rebellion mentions it at all. If it was more in the background it woulda blended in more but it was pretty jarring how much they were talking about it.

:dwillhuh:

They literally say "May the force be with us" before they head out to fight the Death Star.

Edit: couldn't find it on Youtube but the script:

Luke is sitting next to Wedge Antilles, a hotshot pilot about sixteen years old.
WEDGE
That's impossible, even for a computer.
LUKE It's not impossible. I used to bull's- eye womp rats in my T-sixteen back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.
DODONNA Man your ships! And may the Force be with you!

The group rises and begins to leave.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Saw this last night and it's taken a while to really get my thoughts together but this was phenomenal. From top to bottom, there's really only one thing that didn't work for me and that had more to do with technology being what it is than anything else. It took a throwaway line from episode 4 and turned it into freaking gold.

The character dynamics were on point and Jen is a great character who I'd love to see more of. Also Diego Luna's spy. The Ocean's 11 rag tag crew they got together had great chemistry and each of them got little moments to inform you of who they were, what they were about, and what they wanted.

From a bad guy standpoint, it felt like classic star wars. Stiff upper lip british types just following orders but with their own separate motivations within this ridiculous bureaucracy. And they managed to make Vader scary again, which I didn't think was possible. He's probably got 5 min of screen time and that 5 min undos all the damage done with the prequels in terms of serving his character well. The castle, the threats, and the last 5-10 min of the flick?:whoo:

The segue to the beginning of new hope was also perfect.

This is easily my favorite star wars flick since Empire and I hope we get more of this now that episode 7 laid that initial groundwork in getting cats excited about the franchise again. Props to everyone involved for making this feel like the lived in, dingy, dirty world of the first three movies while also making it feel unique and have the feel of a war movie and heist movie and a spy movie all in one. I love it and will definitely be seeing it again
I completely agree. After reading reddit sometimes I wonder if I saw the same movie as other people, I see people saying they thought the movie was fukking BORING, like what the fukk? I'm convinced people go into movies ready to hate it. This movie was fukking AWESOME. I also keep seeing people say they felt no connection to the characters which I also don't really understand...I realize other then Jyn we don't get a huge backstory but why do you need that to care about a character? Obviously the idea here is to show all the sacrifices that had to be made. Vader was fukking terrifying, everyone gave a great performance, I loved Donnie Yen's character. The seemless transition to a new hope was fukking genius.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
:dwillhuh:

They literally say "May the force be with us" before they head out to fight the Death Star.

Edit: couldn't find it on Youtube but the script:

Luke is sitting next to Wedge Antilles, a hotshot pilot about sixteen years old.
WEDGE
That's impossible, even for a computer.
LUKE It's not impossible. I used to bull's- eye womp rats in my T-sixteen back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.
DODONNA Man your ships! And may the Force be with you!

The group rises and begins to leave.

Hmmm, you may be right. Just seemed like they said it way too much, guess it was overload from the chinese guy saying it over and over.

Another question, so the secret mission for the main guy was to kill the guy who worked on the Death Star so that the empire couldnt finish it. But at the time the guy makes it there to shoot the engineer they already know the weapon is finished so at that point your only option is to try and capture him to confirm the weakness. They should have called off the assassination mission.

Last edited:

calh45

Cal
Daps
I completely agree. After reading reddit sometimes I wonder if I saw the same movie as other people, I see people saying they thought the movie was fukking BORING, like what the fukk? I'm convinced people go into movies ready to hate it. This movie was fukking AWESOME. I also keep seeing people say they felt no connection to the characters which I also don't really understand...I realize other then Jyn we don't get a huge backstory but why do you need that to care about a character? Obviously the idea here is to show all the sacrifices that had to be made. Vader was fukking terrifying, everyone gave a great performance, I loved Donnie Yen's character. The seemless transition to a new hope was fukking genius.

Yes. People on Reddit actively find things to hate in everything. Most of those folks over there hate their lives so they're incapable of liking most things all the way through. They built up enough of a story to support why everyone on that shyt would be willing to die for the mission.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Yes. People on Reddit actively find things to hate in everything. Most of those folks over there hate their lives so they're incapable of liking most things all the way through. They built up enough of a story to support why everyone on that shyt would be willing to die for the mission.
I mean, look, the movie isn't perfect by any means, but holy fukk it's positives FAR outshine it's negatives. Boring though? Boring? wtf

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
shyt was dry as hell for the beginning but then it got interesting. The ending :gladbron::damn:!

The CGI on the faces was :ohhh: was wondering were they gonna just completely not use characters due to the actors being dead or older. I liked Force Awakens better than this but this was an entertaining flick.

One thing that annoyed me was everyone mentioning the force :dame:
i seriously didn't know they used CGI on their faces just thought they got actors that looked like the people. Then I go on reddit where everyone is like "Those CGI faces were so uncanny and awkward looking, it looked really bad" :beli:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After watching this a second time, I have to agree. I don't get the complaints about pacing and it being slow in the first act. People can't complain about lack of character development one hand and then the exposition and interactions needed to build characters on another. The third act wouldn't have even made sense without the first act.

This been my biggest gripe about so-called critics. This character development is the most OVERRATED critique to use. Character development only is important if it serves the plot and story overall. If this was a character study, then character development of course be important. Such as a movie like "Moonlight" which is a character study about a black man's conflict with his sexuality. Understanding the characters development that affect that premise would be important. But not for an ACTION WAR FILM. Rogue One is an action war film! It's premise isn't about CHARACTER, it is about accomplishing an near-impossible mission. It's about a band of rebels UNKNOWN to the Star Wars lore and were unsung heroes to what may orf been the turning point of the entire saga. We don't NEED to know their history and be all deep into their background and so forth. All we need to know is how they came together, and how they were able to accomplish the mission. Their personality and a small background was just enough. You still FELT them emotionally in what they were able to pull off.

Also, this thing about pacing. I can understand that on the 1st viewing it's a bit jagged... but I don't feel it at all being slow... you have to have to introduce these characters and set up the mission. It's why the 3RD ACT was so satisfying. It wouldn't be as good if it's been nothing but MICHAEL BAY fireworks and lack of story. Shoot, A New Hope 1st half of the film was boring AF.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Brehs. It just hit me. All these years we wondered ANH "how did she get the plans?" "Who did it?" "How did they get by Vader" "Where were they comming from in the Opening scene of ANH?" I never dreamed i would see that on the big screen. This is the Major Key that binds the Saga. PS i still wanted to see MORE Prime Vader in Action lol
yes. I really love the context that this brings to ANH. This is an underrated aspect of the film.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
i seriously didn't know they used CGI on their faces just thought they got actors that looked like the people. Then I go on reddit where everyone is like "Those CGI faces were so uncanny and awkward looking, it looked really bad" :beli:
When I saw Tarkin I was like :wtf:, then Leia had me like what kind of sorcery is this :mindblown: