Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I don't know how anyone could think they were real people :dwillhuh:
they used actors and added cgi to their face. idk brah I thought it was really well done, I didn't notice any uncanny valley shyt.

550w_soaps_holby_guy_henry.jpg

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
Saw this last night and it's taken a while to really get my thoughts together but this was phenomenal. From top to bottom, there's really only one thing that didn't work for me and that had more to do with technology being what it is than anything else. It took a throwaway line from episode 4 and turned it into freaking gold.

The character dynamics were on point and Jen is a great character who I'd love to see more of. Also Diego Luna's spy. The Ocean's 11 rag tag crew they got together had great chemistry and each of them got little moments to inform you of who they were, what they were about, and what they wanted.

From a bad guy standpoint, it felt like classic star wars. Stiff upper lip british types just following orders but with their own separate motivations within this ridiculous bureaucracy. And they managed to make Vader scary again, which I didn't think was possible. He's probably got 5 min of screen time and that 5 min undos all the damage done with the prequels in terms of serving his character well. The castle, the threats, and the last 5-10 min of the flick?:whoo:

The segue to the beginning of new hope was also perfect.

This is easily my favorite star wars flick since Empire and I hope we get more of this now that episode 7 laid that initial groundwork in getting cats excited about the franchise again. Props to everyone involved for making this feel like the lived in, dingy, dirty world of the first three movies while also making it feel unique and have the feel of a war movie and heist movie and a spy movie all in one. I love it and will definitely be seeing it again
/Thread.

Daps
Reppin
Chi City
i'm actually kinda shocked to see some of the fans arguing in favor of an opening crawl. i thought the way they did it was perfect.

this was unlike your typical star wars movie in so many ways, i don't even know if the scale is big enough to warrant such an epic and encompassing lead-in. i say reserve the crawl for the 'actual' star wars movies... the big, grand operatic films that they are.

I was cool with the whole no opening crawl thing.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sidious likely knew about the shrine underneath. So establishing the Imperial Palace there not only symbolically destroys the Jedi Order but also allows Sidious to be in close proximity to the shrine.
That explains why he set up shop in the temple after Order 66. I thought it was him pulling the ultimate :win::umad:to the Jedi.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
i'm actually kinda shocked to see some of the fans arguing in favor of an opening crawl. i thought the way they did it was perfect.

this was unlike your typical star wars movie in so many ways, i don't even know if the scale is big enough to warrant such an epic and encompassing lead-in. i say reserve the crawl for the 'actual' star wars movies... the big, grand operatic films that they are.
Yup. that's what they're doing, none of the spin-off films will have crawls. only the main episodes.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I didn't think it was possible but this movie made me hate TFA even more.

I was saying the exact same thing yesterday. Also, the Death Star was sabotaged intentionally. What is the stupid "Starkiller Base's" excuse?
(You can say the same thing about the Death Star 2, but I have too much nostalgia for RotJ to say it).

That's what I was thinking. Being that this was 20 years after Episode 3, he would of missed his opportunity had he was discovered to of being force sensitive.

I know it would have violated canon, but I half way expected his body to disappear when he died. But I like the way that they kept his knowledge of the Force as "religion" instead of "superpowers". When the stormtroopers were missing him, it reminded me of Jules from Pulp Fiction.

Feel like they were taking out Star Destroyers a little too easy in the final act. They took one out with an ion bomb run and another 2 with a small ass tugboat ship pushing them together. It was like they werent even a threat.

As I was watching the battle, I was ready to have the same criticism. But, then I totally forgot about it when the Flagship of the Rebellion got taken out. No wonder we never heard from that non-Akbar Mon Calamari Admiral again. The fight was too easy at first, but in the end they just barely got away. They needed to set up the fact that VADER is the game-changer.

Besides, in Empire Strikes Back you can also argue that the it was stupidly easy for the Rebel base on on Hoth to disable a Star Destroyer with just TWO SHOTS from its cannon. Even the Executor in RotJ ended up getting taken out by a kamikaze attack from a small fighter. From what we have actually seen on screen, Star Destroyers are kind of fragile.

idk brah i thought it was really well done, i didn't notice any uncanny valley shyt

When I saw the CGI, I accepted it as CGI. I actually had more of a problem with the fact that the guy in the Vader mask on Mustafar didn't move like David Prowse or Hayden Christiensen. Looked like a random guy in a Vader costume that didn't fit right, with the weird red reflection (lava?) in his eyes.

But again, I couldn't criticize that scene too much, once it occurred to me that Vader built his fortress probably on the exact spot he got burnt up in Episode III.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
maybe it was just my theater or the fact that i saw it in imax 3d but i thought tarkin looked fukkin spectacular. i knew the second i saw his face that they were pulling tricks with cgi because there's no physical way i could be staring at peter cushing, but if i wasn't one of those people i might not have even considered anything. at least not right away.

also this is very a bold step in the way of cgi effects. kinda scary too, but if used sparingly i think it can be really great. this movie truly felt like the return of tarkin, which i'd never thought i'd see.
Tarkin in ROTS was :scust:. They tried too hard with the prosthetic makeup.

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
true, but i want a movie that focuses only on vader's rise.....meaning: a movie that takes places between 3 and 4, that shows how vader became known as that muthafukka you didnt want no problems with....everyone was scared of him as soon as new hope starts; hell, everyone was scared of him in this movie....i just want a movie that shows details of him doing shyt to show why everyone scared.....

plus, i can never get enough vader lol..
The novel Rise Of Darth Vader is :ohlawd:. Would make a dope ass movie.