Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Official Thread]

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Saw this last night and it's taken a while to really get my thoughts together but this was phenomenal. From top to bottom, there's really only one thing that didn't work for me and that had more to do with technology being what it is than anything else. It took a throwaway line from episode 4 and turned it into freaking gold.

The character dynamics were on point and Jen is a great character who I'd love to see more of. Also Diego Luna's spy. The Ocean's 11 rag tag crew they got together had great chemistry and each of them got little moments to inform you of who they were, what they were about, and what they wanted.

From a bad guy standpoint, it felt like classic star wars. Stiff upper lip british types just following orders but with their own separate motivations within this ridiculous bureaucracy. And they managed to make Vader scary again, which I didn't think was possible. He's probably got 5 min of screen time and that 5 min undos all the damage done with the prequels in terms of serving his character well. The castle, the threats, and the last 5-10 min of the flick?:whoo:

The segue to the beginning of new hope was also perfect.

This is easily my favorite star wars flick since Empire and I hope we get more of this now that episode 7 laid that initial groundwork in getting cats excited about the franchise again. Props to everyone involved for making this feel like the lived in, dingy, dirty world of the first three movies while also making it feel unique and have the feel of a war movie and heist movie and a spy movie all in one. I love it and will definitely be seeing it again

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Yeah saw this last night. The story was great and I liked the character dynamics. I was actually really surprised by the ending, which actually just made it really have guts/balls. Didn't think Disney would go there. 8.5/10
My only complaints were some weak dialogue and while there is plenty of action it kinda got redundant. If they could have either had less of it or made it more dynamic this movie would be flawless.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I swear motherfcukers nowadays have non-existent attention spans.

I was actually watching the start of 'A New Hope' and was reminded by the sense of 'slowness' and the simple focus on story-telling that you don't really get nowadays. People could actually watch an entire minute of dialogue and not slip into a coma back then though. :stopitslime:
It's not that the first act of rogue one is slow, it's that it's disjointed and doesn't really flow.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
Rogue one was trash I'm sorry

I was actually rooting for the bad guys in this

That Vader scene was godly :wow:

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
So I watched it with my wife, really enjoyed but it starting off slow and pacing seemed off in the beginning a few things that didn't really make sense or hold up to scrutiny, but the 3rd act was really great
I give it 3.5/5 Its definitely top 3 SW movie, I'd say better than the force awakens, better than those trash prequels for sure.
TBT I didn't even know Tarkin was dead ( :rip: ) I'd say CGI was pretty good
Seeing Vader get busy was great, I wish he would've pulled a tetsuo and exploded someone but i guess they needed to keep it PG-13
I actually wanted to see Forest Whitaker in action, from how it sounded he was pretty much a terrorist. From how he was built I though he was going to be the rebels Darth Vader by any means necessary
I think what I liked most about the movie is that the hero actually sacrificed something to achieve there mission, not just one token death either everyone ate it
Donnie Yen was pretty good, they don't really explain why him and his friend joined the rebellion though

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So I watched it with my wife, really enjoyed but it starting off slow and pacing seemed off in the beginning a few things that didn't really make sense or hold up to scrutiny, but the 3rd act was really great
I give it 3.5/5 Its definitely top 3 SW movie, I'd say better than the force awakens, better than those trash prequels for sure.
TBT I didn't even know Tarkin was dead ( :rip: ) I'd say CGI was pretty good
Seeing Vader get busy was great, I wish he would've pulled a tetsuo and exploded someone but i guess they needed to keep it PG-13
I actually wanted to see Forest Whitaker in action, from how it sounded he was pretty much a terrorist. From how he was built I though he was going to be the rebels Darth Vader by any means necessary
I think what I liked most about the movie is that the hero actually sacrificed something to achieve there mission, not just one token death either everyone ate it
Donnie Yen was pretty good, they don't really explain why him and his friend joined the rebellion though

I think for Donnie's character it was all about traveling with the force. The force led him to Jyn and he was going to go where the force took him. Plus its not like they had anywhere else to go anyway. And his man was going to follow because that's his man.

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
I think for Donnie's character it was all about traveling with the force. The force led him to Jyn and he was going to go where the force took him. Plus its not like they had anywhere else to go anyway. And his man was going to follow because that's his man.
Yeah that's what I figured but it's not explained well or even addressed

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Now that I think about it, something about the final battle makes ZERO sense.

Once the shield gate closes, the team kinda accepts they're trapped on the planet and the only thing they can do is transmit the Death Star plans. But soon they find out that to transmit those plans, the allied forces will have to take down the shield gate, the same shield gate that is the only thing trapping them on the planet. So regardless of the scenario (extracting the plans themselves or transmitting them to space), taking down the shield would be a necessity, yet the movie sells it as if the option to extract is no longer a possibility as nothing more than a cheap ploy to sell the "sacrifice" they are making.

I don't know about you guys but personally I can't wait for the 2 hour prequel coming 30 years later to explain this.

I think it was moreso they were outnumbered, outgunned, out resourced. They probably figured that even after the plans were transmitted, they'd be stranded. The fleet would got out ASAP. Few soldiers actually hit the ground.

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Native of the NYC, getting fed in the Big D!
Saw this last night and it's taken a while to really get my thoughts together but this was phenomenal. From top to bottom, there's really only one thing that didn't work for me and that had more to do with technology being what it is than anything else. It took a throwaway line from episode 4 and turned it into freaking gold.

The character dynamics were on point and Jen is a great character who I'd love to see more of. Also Diego Luna's spy. The Ocean's 11 rag tag crew they got together had great chemistry and each of them got little moments to inform you of who they were, what they were about, and what they wanted.

From a bad guy standpoint, it felt like classic star wars. Stiff upper lip british types just following orders but with their own separate motivations within this ridiculous bureaucracy. And they managed to make Vader scary again, which I didn't think was possible. He's probably got 5 min of screen time and that 5 min undos all the damage done with the prequels in terms of serving his character well. The castle, the threats, and the last 5-10 min of the flick?:whoo:

The segue to the beginning of new hope was also perfect.

This is easily my favorite star wars flick since Empire and I hope we get more of this now that episode 7 laid that initial groundwork in getting cats excited about the franchise again. Props to everyone involved for making this feel like the lived in, dingy, dirty world of the first three movies while also making it feel unique and have the feel of a war movie and heist movie and a spy movie all in one. I love it and will definitely be seeing it again
The film definitely had balls. I really enjoyed it as well.

Vader reminding everyone why he's one of the greatest movie villians in cinematic history :wow:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The film definitely had balls. I really enjoyed it as well.

Vader reminding everyone why he's one of the greatest movie villians in cinematic history :wow:

Yeah a lot of juevos for a Disney flick. Well a recent Disney flick. Back in the day they had them in spades. Props to them for letting Lucasfilm and Edwards do their thing