Rise of the Tomb Raider [Official Thread] PS4 finally experiencing greatness

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I thought the tombs have been fantastic and one of my personal favorite aspects of this game.
Maybe I'll give them a try later in the week. :jbhmm: I'm kinda gamed out right now. Plus, I wanna start the Witness or Firewatch next week. I want a performance patch for sure though. It's really a letdown that the performance is so poor in certain areas. It kinda distracts me from the game (although I did kinda get used to it).

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Maybe I'll give them a try later in the week. :jbhmm: I'm kinda gamed out right now. Plus, I wanna start the Witness or Firewatch next week. I want a performance patch for sure though. It's really a letdown that the performance is so poor in certain areas. It kinda distracts me from the game (although I did kinda get used to it).
I think I'm gonna put the game to the side and watch for a performance patch. No way I can't even run the game at 60fps on LOW settings(I'm getting 40ish fps even outside.)

GBb2Yc.jpg

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
I finished the game last night and man it's tough trying to form an opinion on it. It's funny because though I agree with most of what @Fatboi1 has said, the game is still in my top 3 2015 games. I think I just have higher expectations from Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider than I do most devs because I feel like they have so much more potential for greatness.

What I think is really going on is we have a great studio that's being limited by the fact that their game has to appeal to casual gamers too. Tombs being sidelined to "optional content" says it all really. And all the checklist shyt in the game's hub sections is just like the other games last year. Just shyt that artificially makes you feel like you're exploring and accomplishing something. This game is better off as an uncharted game with optional tombs if they wanna go the mass market route.

The funny thing about it though is this game opened my eyes to how bullshyt today's Western AAA games are. Everything single western game last year was open world shyt with shallow gameplay mechanics. :dead: It's been a long time coming but I think I'm officially done with these open world games mayne. One of my favorite series falling victim to that design was the last straw. :wow:

With Rise, think I'd give it an 8/10, same score as Tomb Raider. It's better in one some ways, worse in others. I liked the tombs, puzzles and platforming sequences more in Rise, but I preferred Tomb Raider's combat and pacing.

Last edited:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
I think I'm gonna put the game to the side and watch for a performance patch. No way I can't even run the game at 60fps on LOW settings(I'm getting 40ish fps even outside.)
Damn that's rough my dude. No wonder you're not enjoying it so much (not that your gameplay complaints weren't valid). Game's beautiful, playing on low would be a damn shame. :wow:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I finished the game last night and man it's tough trying to form an opinion on it. It's funny because though I agree with most of what @Fatboi1 has said, the game is still in my top 3 2015 games. I think I just have higher expectations from Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider than I do most devs because I feel like they have so much more potential for greatness.

What I think is really going on is we have a great studio that's being limited by the fact that their game has to appeal to casual gamers too. Tombs being sidelined to "optional content" says it all really. And all the checklist shyt in the game's hub sections is just like the other games last year. Just shyt that artificially makes you feel like you're exploring and accomplishing something. This game is better as an uncharted game with optional tombs if they wanna go the mass market route.

The funny thing about it though is this game opened my eyes to how bullshyt today's Western AAA games are. Everything single western game last year was open world shyt with shallow gameplay mechanics. :dead: It's been a long time coming but I think I'm officially done with these open world games mayne. One of my favorite series falling victim to that design was the last straw. :wow:

With Rise, think I'd give it an 8/10, same score as Tomb Raider. It's better in one some ways, worse in others. I liked the tombs, puzzles and platforming sequences more in Rise, but I preferred Tomb Raider's combat and pacing.
When I think of "Tomb Raider"
this is what I visualize:
tumblr_mful4485ah1rxhu0oo1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_mxpoq6yztK1qd00mn.gif

Not

*excuse to post UC4 gif*

Uncharted4SANDBAGS.gif

uc4c.gif
2975655-5608819969-Uncha.gif
If they wanna go this route, it NEED to look like this or better. none of that janky shyt.

:wow:

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Damn that's rough my dude. No wonder you're not enjoying it so much (not that your gameplay complaints weren't valid). Game's beautiful, playing on low would be a damn shame. :wow:
Lol I was just trying something. I can lock it to 30 and play it like that but I figure hey I'm sure the game could run at 60fps with my hardware at least. Idk I flipflop with settings and shyt. I'm also at the worst part of the game performance wise so I'd probably just trudge along.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

What I think is really going on is we have a great studio that's being limited by the fact that their game has to appeal to casual gamers too. Tombs being sidelined to "optional content" says it all really. And all the checklist shyt in the game's hub sections is just like the other games last year. Just shyt that artificially makes you feel like you're exploring and accomplishing something. This game is better off as an uncharted game with optional tombs if they wanna go the mass market route.

Nice breakdown. :ehh: This game is definitely for casuals. That said, I give it an 8/10 too. There were some epic parts. And I haven't even touched 7 of the 9 tombs (maybe tomorrow though)

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
When I think of "Tomb Raider"
this is what I visualize:

Not

*excuse to post UC4 gif*

If they wanna go this route, it NEED to look like this or better. none of that janky shyt.

:wow:
Yep. they gotta choose one direction, not try to do everything. I'ma let them cook and give em a pass on Tomb Raider 3 being like Rise of the Tomb Raider, because honestly the game is likely already entering production and reviews for Rise of the TR were really strong. So they're like, "okay, people liked Rise so we gonna make more of that".

But for Tomb Raider 4 whenever it comes, they need to make it more tense and slower paced, more driven by tombs. Take inspiration from the game design of past Tomb Raider games, Dark Souls and even The Witness (exploration aspect, not the puzzles). Definitely put a good amount of combat in there too, as well as action platforming. But don't make it the focus. You'll have a classic game on your hands. :wow:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yep. they gotta choose one direction, not try to do everything. I'ma let them cook and give em a pass on Tomb Raider 3 being like Rise of the Tomb Raider, because honestly the game is likely already entering production and reviews for Rise of the TR were really strong. So they're like, "okay, people liked Rise so we gonna make more of that".

But for Tomb Raider 4 whenever it comes, they need to make it more tense and slower paced, more driven by tombs. Take inspiration from the game design of past Tomb Raider games, Dark Souls and even The Witness (exploration aspect, not the puzzles). Definitely put a good amount of combat in there too, as well as action platforming. But don't make it the focus. You'll have a classic game on your hands. :wow:
I'm going to play the definitive edition on ps4 while I wait for a patch. I never really played that one for more than an hour or so.

llt23

All Star
Daps
Cant lie the Tomb's while dope dont make sense. None of the other characters ever mention the tombs, they are just there. They serve no purpose to the story. And since they serve no purpose you get situations where characters are like
:damn:"Lara they coming with choppers to our village, help us now!"

"Hold on breh lemme raid this tomb real quick" :skip:

Yeah, Most Tomb's in this game are just ONE puzzle usually. Im sure some of the last Tomb's might be slightly more complex but I'm not counting on it. If they took like a zelda approach, made 5-6 Tombs, but made them big as fukk with tons of puzzles, actually have enemies in them, and a big boss fight at the end....:whew:

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just did 4 of the 9 tombs. They were meh. Don't know if I'll even do the other 5 :manny:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Beat all the tombs and beat the game. :win: (I shoulda did the tombs during the game. Those extra perks woulda made it easier. Oh well, the game was easy enough already though)

Now I can call this done until the next story DLC.

BTW, the latest patch didn't really help out at all :comeon: