Rise of the Tomb Raider [Official Thread] PS4 finally experiencing greatness

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
That's just one of the things wrong with this game. they need to remove the RPG elements, side quests and hub world design and zero in on tomb raidin, puzzles, story, writing and combat. The claims that this was much better were absolutely overstated as I don't see how pushing a cart and cutting a rope is so much better. It's "barely" better. There's no sense of accomplishment either as there are storage crates and junk scattered about to "upgrade" stuff for an already easy game. Why even have such large environments with nothing worth finding? At least with MGSV for example these things added to the gameplay in a logical manner. The game scaled with your playtime and methods. Even if you "ignored" this stuff, the natural progression rewarded you with new stuff in mgs. In this, a new weapon didn't matter because an un upgraded pistol was already powerful enough.

This game is like a slice of pepperoni pizza with anchovies, pineapples, mango, mushrooms, olives and barbecue sauce. Sure you can remove some of it off but bits and pieces remain regardless. This is also a pizza served in a bowl for some odd reason. As is, everything this game tries to do falls completely flat.
Didn't read. Uncharted is better. /thread

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Didn't read. Uncharted is better. /thread
Smh. Grow up man. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you gotta act like a female.I didn't even mention no damn Uncharted. You was the main advocate talking up this title like "Man it's GOTY if it wasn't for MGSV :wow:" so I'm not shocked with your response.

:camby:

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So it should just be another action adventure on rails? Really the only weak points are the story and gunplay (the bow is more her speciality anyway). They wanted to focus on exploration here, which is the reason for the Metroidvania style and open world. I mean there's some pretty cool shyt with the world. Day/night cycles and dynamic weather so you can only hunt certain animals at certain times. But if you just want to go through the story and do Tombs then they give you that option.
The game is already "on rails" in some aspects. I'd rather it be an excellent game "on rails" than to be a bloat filled mashup of crap with no real good execution.

The exploration on here is weak. The maps are littered with supplies, diaries, tapes, items and other superficial things that seem haphazardly placed rather than strategically placed in a way that rewards your exploration. Every time I decide to just look around, I'm finding things that aren't rewarding at all because.. I found 10 of em a minute before.

The animals so far pose absolutely no threat to you because like I said before, the bow and arrow and virtually any weapon are super effective in dealing with enemies. There's no real sense of danger hunting them when an arrow or two can take em out like that. There's far too much ammo already spread out and then there's upgrades to THAT part of the game. It makes it redundant. Compound that with an very easy game then none of this really does anything.

The hub added nothing substantial to the game. It merely added dumb fetch quests, collectibles and other frivolous tasks. I'd rather they had focused on better combat, story and writing than to fill it up with nonsense like this.

Tombs just being so close to each other made "exploring" pointless.

That's what I mean by those things are "weak". You can just "do" the story and tombs but then again, I gotta tread through a overworld for no reason just to get to the next part. The "story" suffers because they designed the story parts around all this fluff and then dumb'd it down(gameplay). The "story" parts aren't good enough on their own hence why I think they added all this extra stuff. The game is just not designed well at all imo. :manny: Tombs are barely better than the ones in the first TR. They just look better but the puzzles are still simplistic.

Last edited:

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
The game is already "on rails" in some aspects. I'd rather it be an excellent game "on rails" than to be a bloat filled mashup of crap with no real good execution.

The exploration on here is weak. The maps are littered with supplies, diaries, tapes, items and other superficial things that seem haphazardly placed rather than strategically placed in a way that rewards your exploration. Every time I decide to just look around, I'm finding things that aren't rewarding at all because.. I found 10 of em a minute before.

The animals so far pose absolutely no threat to you because like I said before, the bow and arrow and virtually any weapon are super effective in dealing with enemies. There's no real sense of danger hunting them when an arrow or two can take em out like that. There's far too much ammo already spread out and then there's upgrades to THAT part of the game. It makes it redundant. Compound that with an very easy game then none of this really does anything.

That's what I mean by those things are "weak". You can just "do" the story and tombs but then again, I gotta tread through a overworld for no reason just to get to the next part. The "story" parts aren't good enough on their own hence why I think they added all this extra stuff. The game is just not designed well at all man.
Well not everything is gonna be crucial. But if you do the crypts, tombs, beast hunts, challenges, plus the main story that adds up to alot of variety which you don't find in many games except full blown rpgs. And maybe they changed it for the pc but I don't remember ammo and weapons being as plentiful till the end when I leveled up to craft them. But there will always be a problem with exploration games, some people will get sucked into the world and try to find and complete everything and some won't.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Smh. Grow up man. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you gotta act like a female.I didn't even mention no damn Uncharted. You was the main advocate talking up this title like "Man it's GOTY if it wasn't for MGSV :wow:" so I'm not shocked with your response.

:camby:
I was messing with you chilllaaaaaxxxxx. I'll come back with a mature response later tonight. My phone is dying and I'm out here eating delicious BBQ ribs and fried plantains

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well not everything is gonna be crucial. But if you do the crypts, tombs, beast hunts, challenges, plus the main story that adds up to alot of variety which you don't find in many games except full blown rpgs. And maybe they changed it for the pc but I don't remember ammo and weapons being as plentiful till the end when I leveled up to craft them. But there will always be a problem with exploration games, some people will get sucked into the world and try to find and complete everything and some won't.
I appreciate the efforts here but it goes back to what I said before, all this sounds great on paper. In execution they're nothing special(so far).

The last "tomb" or w/e I did if it was one was right before you go into that big village area before you meet up with Jacob again. That environment was beautiful and felt more "TR" like. I'd prefer that to be the sole focus on the game. It'd be better if the actual tombs and w/e were HUGE with emphasis on exploration with story beats and other cool shyt happening in between. Instead, it's the opposite. I'm not done yet but I'm honestly struggling to play it because of how bland it feels so far. None of the "moments" I seen people talk about did anything for me. They fell completely flat. I'd rather a brief 15 hour game with laser focus and great execution than a game with a bunch of stuff where nothing is really standout material.

I know it sounds like I'm being very harsh on the game but these are my honest impressions thus far. I'll try and finish it and try out other things if time permits me and see how it is after it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Trust me my man. You're cool in my book. I enjoy your posts. Even though I owe you a dozen negs for disrespecting my goat game MGS. I just mess with you cause you're one of the cadium regulars that I like.
Breh MGSV is trash man wtf :troll:

Next to this game though MGSV is the Citizen Kane of Audio Tapes :wow:

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I appreciate the efforts here but it goes back to what I said before, all this sounds great on paper. In execution they're nothing special(so far).

The last "tomb" or w/e I did if it was one was right before you go into that big village area before you meet up with Jacob again. That environment was beautiful and felt more "TR" like. I'd prefer that to be the sole focus on the game. It'd be better if the actual tombs and w/e were HUGE with emphasis on exploration with story beats and other cool shyt happening in between. Instead, it's the opposite. I'm not done yet but I'm honestly struggling to play it because of how bland it feels so far. None of the "moments" I seen people talk about did anything for me. They fell completely flat. I'd rather a brief 15 hour game with laser focus and great execution than a game with a bunch of stuff where nothing is really standout material.

I know it sounds like I'm being very harsh on the game but these are my honest impressions thus far. I'll try and finish it and try out other things if time permits me and see how it is after it's all said and done.
Honestly I did all the side stuff in each section before continuing the story which is why I was more into the world. The story was always secondary to me. Honestly though I think the game might have had more hype because the One didn't see alot of great exclusives this year because I've seen people on PC with similar opinions as yours. I thought it was a good 8.5 type game one the better games I played in 2015 but the next time out they gotta look at a game like Arkham City if they wanna do a semi open action adventure game at the highest level.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly I did all the side stuff in each section before continuing the story which is why I was more into the world. The story was always secondary to me. Honestly though I think the game might have had more hype because the One didn't see alot of great exclusives this year because I've seen people on PC with similar opinions as yours. I thought it was a good 8.5 type game one the better games I played in 2015 but the next time out they gotta look at a game like Arkham City if they wanna do a semi open action adventure game at the highest level.
Arkham City was scarcely one of the few games that went from a hub style world to fully open world and was still great. That game was amazing. Wasn't too much crap but it was just right.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I thought I'd do the Tombs today, but I don't really feel compelled to. I think I'm done with this game for the time being :yeshrug:

Hopefully by the time I want to get back into it they'll have fixed the performance issues. :sadcam:

The story DLC was good though. You all should play it. Hopefully they'll be more story DLC in the future.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I thought I'd do the Tombs today, but I don't really feel compelled to. I think I'm done with this game for the time being :yeshrug:

Hopefully by the time I want to get back into it they'll have fixed the performance issues. :sadcam:

The story DLC was good though. You all should play it. Hopefully they'll be more story DLC in the future.
I thought the tombs have been fantastic and one of my personal favorite aspects of this game.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

To give you a serious response:
I hear you and agree overall that the side crap is very tedious and inconsequential to the overall experience of the game. The only reason to really do them is to hit 100% completion. I still stand by this game is much better than its predecessor with better moments throughout and crafting had a few cool little twists like the poison arrows for instance. The clothes having different upgrades was cool too. Problem is, the game isn't nearly hard enough to need any upgrades. Its a great looking game, with solid controls, solid atmosphere and has a lot of very fun moments. I don't consider this game average in anyway. I feel it takes hits for trying to do too much at once and not making things matter more. The core game is great and I highly reccomend everyone play it. MGS is goat. You and uncharted suck. Sincerely yours,
That kid Revy

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To give you a serious response:
I hear you and agree overall that the side crap is very tedious and inconsequential to the overall experience of the game. The only reason to really do them is to hit 100% completion. I still stand by this game is much better than its predecessor with better moments throughout and crafting had a few cool little twists like the poison arrows for instance. The clothes having different upgrades was cool too. Problem is, the game isn't nearly hard enough to need any upgrades. Its a great looking game, with solid controls, solid atmosphere and has a lot of very fun moments. I don't consider this game average in anyway. I feel it takes hits for trying to do too much at once and not making things matter more. The core game is great and I highly reccomend everyone play it. MGS is goat. You and uncharted suck. Sincerely yours,
That kid Revy
I say it's average because even all together it's sum is still meh. Like the moment to moment gameplay loop in this game is largely mediocre e.g. (combat encounters, weapons, exploration, crafting) and then the story and characters being meh as fukk only exacerbated my disappointment. There's not even any set pieces that weren't already done to death within the last 5 years by various other games that seeing it happen here was :yawn:

Like I literally went like :dwillhuh: when she was running across the bridge when that Helicopter just came up and started shooting at her and Jacob and you start running and then jump onto the line to slide down while the place is exploding. I was like "man this shyt looks so forced." Like it just felt so predictable and obvious.

I never skip cut-scenes in games but last night I literally just said fukk it and skipped two cut-scenes because I had enough. I can honestly say that TO 1886 had more interesting characters and story despite how short that game was.