Rise of the Tomb Raider [Official Thread] PS4 finally experiencing greatness

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: It's like the devs just filled out a checklist of things to put in the map. This soviet area is FULL of "stuff" all over which makes it not even special to find them. It's like the Mcdonalds of gaming syndrome.

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
So having played more of Rise, @Fatboi1 I see what you're talking about with the combat. It's quite worse than TR2013's. The enemies don't react nearly as nicely to your shots. Not sure how they messed that up, but Ima blame Xbox. :mjpls: Thankfully the game has far less combat than the first game, at least so far. But still, don't take steps backwards devs. Come on son.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I'm almost willing to call this a disappointment. Almost...:patrice:

Gonna finish it though. I think I set my expectations too high. I was really looking forward to it. The optimization problems aren't helping either...

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So having played more of Rise, @Fatboi1 I see what you're talking about with the combat. It's quite worse than TR2013's. The enemies don't react nearly as nicely to your shots. Not sure how they messed that up, but Ima blame Xbox. :mjpls: Thankfully the game has far less combat than the first game, at least so far. But still, don't take steps backwards devs. Come on son.
The combat is definitely weaker in this iteration. In 2016, I expect games to have satisfying shooting mechanics.

I know shyt wasn't going to *queue angry Xbots* look like UC4 :mjpls:
GIF372af6.gif

Dem Hit Reactions
Dem environments
Dem animations
:banderas:

but :manny:

:sas2:

At least there's 20 Soviet Dog Tags to collect and upgrade dat Wool Northface though :wow:

Jokes aside, they need to step it up. This game isn't GTA V where there's a gazillion other mechanics at hand that at least make up for less than stellar shooting. Weapon feedback and combat should have all the makings of what makes "shooting" good in games.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm almost willing to call this a disappointment. Almost...:patrice:

Gonna finish it though. I think I set my expectations too high. I was really looking forward to it. The optimization problems aren't helping either...
I went in with mild expectations and those weren't really met to be honest. The checklist game design(millions of scrap items, journals and tapes/notes), XP bars, simplistic and unnecessary upgrades make any sort of exploration feel weak. The game is easier than a drunk girl that has a crush on you on your bed. No sense of needing real upgrades when you can get the job done with just one weapon pretty much.

I wish exploring meant that you'd undergo some nice platforming and puzzles to get some treasure or gear that allow you to get something worthy. Instead, you find damn near everything within arms reach of each other at almost every turn making any upgrade feel less exciting. I almost for a second thought they were mocking a Ubisoft game. I can't be micromanaging so much things in a TR game as if it's Fallout for crying out loud lol.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I went in with mild expectations and those weren't really met to be honest. The checklist game design(millions of scrap items, journals and tapes/notes), XP bars, simplistic and unnecessary upgrades make any sort of exploration feel weak. The game is easier than a drunk girl that has a crush on you on your bed. No sense of needing real upgrades when you can get the job done with just one weapon pretty much.

I wish exploring meant that you'd undergo some nice platforming and puzzles to get some treasure or gear that allow you to get something worthy. Instead, you find damn near everything within arms reach of each other at almost every turn making any upgrade feel less exciting. I almost for a second thought they were mocking a Ubisoft game. I can't be micromanaging so much things in a TR game as if it's Fallout for crying out loud lol.
For real. I hate the collect feathers and leaves bullshyt. There is too much micromanaging. Plus the upgrades you get suck. They try to make you play all stealthy for no reason. My AK and Shotgun kill the bad guys so easily. There's no reason to go stealth. It's bullshyt ass creed stealth too. After MGSV, and real stealth and amazing gameplay, this falls very short and is weak as hell. The story is weak so far too. A stupid immortal relic cliche messiah story. :comeon:

I couldn't even force myself to play it today. Tomorrow I'll try to beat it though. I wanna get this over with and move on to the Witness and Firewatch next week.

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
Open world bullshyt in games needs to go away period. I don't think there was a single game besides Bloodborne that didn't have this checklist shyt last year. :francis:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Open world bullshyt in games needs to go away period. I don't think there was a single game besides Bloodborne that didn't have this checklist shyt last year. :francis:
Yeah, last year was all open world. This year has some good linear games though. I used to love open world games, but they are getting repetitive. Like Fallout 4 didn't live up to expectations, and some say MGSV didn't either (though I thought it did). Now Witcher 3....that's a game that did it right. You gotta have a good story. You can't rely on checklists and fetch quests.

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
This mine Tomb is sick though. This kind of shyt should have been part of the main story missions. :ohlawd:

That was pretty dope. Easy but at least it got the brain working a little bit. I had heard that this game was more Tomb Raider like than the last one but just because Lara is going through ancient temples and shyt doesn't make it Tomb Raider. Still the same hold forward and climb with the axe occasionally type stuff. There's one non-tomb puzzle near the end that had me :whoo: which disappointed the fukk out of me that the rest of the game didn't even try. Regular ass platformers in the PS2 days had harder puzzles than this shyt here. I don't know what the fukk happened this last generation man :mjcry:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
That was pretty dope. Easy but at least it got the brain working a little bit. I had heard that this game was more Tomb Raider like than the last one but just because Lara is going through ancient temples and shyt doesn't make it Tomb Raider. Still the same hold forward and climb with the axe occasionally type stuff. There's one non-tomb puzzle near the end that had me :whoo: which disappointed the fukk out of me that the rest of the game didn't even try. Regular ass platformers in the PS2 days had harder puzzles than this shyt here. I don't know what the fukk happened this last generation man :mjcry:
AAA games are dumbed down and going after casuals breh. It sucks.:wow:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yeah I'm really starting to dig the game now. That mine Tomb really injected some life into it. :whew:
Where is the mine Tomb? I was gonna beat the story first then do the tombs. But maybe I should reconsider that :patrice:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
Where is the mine Tomb? I was gonna beat the story first then do the tombs. But maybe I should reconsider that :patrice:
It's in the soviet spot where you learn to use the rope swing and molotov cocktails. That tomb is really dope breh. I think Im gonna stop doing all the item collecting and sidequests. Having a blast now that the game is actually moving. :salute: