Rise Of The Ronin (PS5/PC, Team Ninja, 2024) (NO OPEN SPOILERS)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It doesn’t wrap back on itself as much as Soulsborne, or have the amount of secrets, but I’ll give the BOD for it being their first attempt. They actually seem like the first ARPG that truly understands the sauce.

I mean, this is the defining feature of souls games level designs imo, Lies of P tried to kind of imitate it a bit but i found more or less the levels to still be kind of linear and uninspired. It was like here’s an enemy arena area, then it goes into a corridor and then back to another arena. Once in a while they would throw in a shortcut or backdoor to a past area. It’s fine, it’s not bad at all for the type of game that it is but i still think they have a ways to go to catch from.

From can constantly surprise you even in the legacy dungeons how everything intertwines, twists and wraps around, and this isn’t even talking bout the verticality of it all. It’s just on another level and im not gonna hold a smaller developer to those standards. I’d say maybe Lies of P is closer to something like The Surge.

This is dark souls

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2a56a577-5067-4f22-a18f-622bf6100edd_2446x2417.png

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
damn. might hold off on this. cant decide :jbhmm:

Peach Showtime is also getting meh reviews. but ofc that didn't matter much to me cuz im stealing that shyt regardless :manny:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean, this is the defining feature of souls games level designs imo, Lies of P tried to kind of imitate it a bit but i found more or less the levels to still be kind of linear and uninspired. It was like here’s an enemy arena area, then it goes into a corridor and then back to another arena. Once in a while they would throw in a shortcut or backdoor to a past area. It’s fine, it’s not bad at all for the type of game that it is but i still think they have a ways to go to catch from.

From can constantly surprise you even in the legacy dungeons how everything intertwines, twists and wraps around, and this isn’t even talking bout the verticality of it all. It’s just on another level and im not gonna hold a smaller developer to those standards. I’d say maybe Lies of P is closer to something like The Surge.

This is dark souls

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2a56a577-5067-4f22-a18f-622bf6100edd_2446x2417.png
Oh yea I’m not saying they hit the notes, but they at least gave the feeling so you could even compare it to DS. Most don’t even match the essence. That’s why I say the closest is HK, being a MV wrapping on itself, having the builds, death runs, variety, music etc. I was more looking for any good attempts you’ve seen that I may have missed

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Oh yea I’m not saying they hit the notes, but they at least gave the feeling so you could even compare it to DS. Most don’t even match the essence. That’s why I say the closest is HK, being a MV wrapping on itself, having the builds, death runs, variety, music etc. I was more looking for any good attempts you’ve seen that I may have missed

Yeah, HK nails the atmosphere, sense of exploration, and boss fights of souls the most

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Do you think anybody else has come closer to FS? I found them to be the closest I’ve experienced, to the point I think their next game could be the one.

It doesn’t wrap back on itself as much as Soulsborne, or have the amount of secrets, but I’ll give the BOD for it being their first attempt. They actually seem like the first ARPG that truly understands the sauce.

The closest game I’ve gotten Soulsborne feeling from is still Hollow Knight :pachaha:

NVM i get it