RIP MF DOOM

King Ming

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Azania
Damn y'all... imagine if he had done Drink Champs...

This would have been dope! Our hip hop podcasts need to get to them legends and give them their flowers while they still here like Pharrell said... Cant be waiting on Office Vlad getting dudes on!

Would like to see Kool Keith, G Rap etc on DC

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Alright I'm about to get in my hip hop nerd shyt and I can't believe nobody else brought this up

Did y'all ever peep how Viktor Vaughn is MF Doom arch nemesis and fukk with him on damn near every album, you really have to listen, Viktor Vaughn be doing foul shyt and be setting up Doom and Doom always have to explain himself

Or on Fancy Clown how Viktor Vaughn was clowning Doom for being a Simp and falling in love with a Woman who cheated on him

Y'all need to go back and listen to his shyt, lot of shyt flew over people heads
“Everything that we do is villain style. Everybody has the right to get it or not get it. Once I throw it out, it’s there for interpretation. It might’ve seemed like it didn’t go well, but how do we know that wasn’t just pre-orchestrated so that we’re talking about it now? I tell you one thing: People are asking more now for live shows and I’m charging more, so it must’ve worked somewhere…I tell you one thing: when you come to a Doom show, come expecting to hear music, don’t come expecting to see.”

The muthafukka Villain Doom

So this how life imitated art and Doom rolled with it
When Doom was sent back to UK he was hot at that time and was booked for many shows, well he couldn't come back to the United States to meet those obligations so he sent his DOOM Impostors to perform for him, he wasn't about to give up his money

Prince Paul his close friend ask him about it when people started noticing it and he told him yeah I can't go back to the states so they perform for me, I'm not giving up my money

So that's the reason for Doom Imposters

But like a True Villain he kept booking more show's

Doom Really Lived and stayed in Character, he told y'all he's The Villain and that was the mystique of his shows you hope he might be there but you knew there was a chance it might be a Doom Imposter, and when you go and it was a Doom Imposter you be like that muthafukka

That's why I laugh when people get mad even in this forum how Doom fukk over his fans when In Reality he kept it real y'all scream keep it real and Doom did he told y'all he's The Villain
i remember that thread here when it was exposed said the same shyt....it’ DOOM.....you know.. the villain..my sister went to one of the shows but he was really did and I told her you sure:mjgrin:

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
This would have been dope! Our hip hop podcasts need to get to them legends and give them their flowers while they still here like Pharrell said... Cant be waiting on Office Vlad getting dudes on!

Would like to see Kool Keith, G Rap etc on DC

That’s what Drink Champs started out as. But like every other podcast like it, they start doing the usual album press run type people. The last really dope consistent podcast that did it properly was Combat Jack.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
this is true. but take nore out of it. even a nas, jay, face, dmx, snoop, dre, red, etc . it just seemed like the mainstream rappers never really gave him his props or ever shouted him out. not that he was seeking their validation or even needing it. im not taking anything away from dude at all and i didnt intend for it to come off that way. my point was just like damn i only know 2 people in my real life who really listened to DOOM and they were both white. I was just thinkin to myself like damn would i really even have got put on to his music like that if i wasnt browsing internet forums and shyt like that in the early 2000's
This is a fair point. I’m white and that’s exactly how I found out about Doom. Although it was right before Operation Doomsday dropped.
Come to think of it, I don’t remember the Source showing him any love at all from 97-99? And the Underground artists usually got love in sure shot singles and there was one other monthly article the name of which escapes me at this point. Even Cage got a write up in 97.
cage.jpg

Does anyone remember what the Source did in regards to Doom leading up to Operation Doomsday?

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
Does anyone remember what the Source did in regards to Doom leading up to Operation Doomsday?

From what I recall I don't think they did anything at all. I don't even think it got a review. Fortunately, I listened to 89.9 and that's how I got put on to DOOM early. Also hit up Nuyorican a lot and he always used to be there.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
This is a fair point. I’m white and that’s exactly how I found out about Doom. Although it was right before Operation Doomsday dropped.
Come to think of it, I don’t remember the Source showing him any love at all from 97-99? And the Underground artists usually got love in sure shot singles and there was one other monthly article the name of which escapes me at this point. Even Cage got a write up in 97.
cage.jpg

I don't think the Source did anything on DOOM back then

I basically found out about DOOM on the internet. in 99 my homie had gave me his mixtape, and on there was KMD's "It Sounded Like a Roc". when I heard that, the memories came back to me about the shyt that went down with the Black b*stards album (which the Source did cover). the internet had just started popping around then with Napster, Audiogalaxy, etc., and I was thinking I might be able to find some version of the Black b*stards album there. doing some research, I found my homie had got that song from the Fondle Em KMD - Ruffs and Rares EP. I also found out that Zev was still around under the name MF DOOM. I listened to some snippets of his songs (Dead Bent & Gas Drawls) on Sandboxautomatic, and it was like an epiphany: I had to get this music (doing this research I also found SOHH).

turns out this is right when Operation Doomsday had released, and I saw a picture of that album cover. there was this little record shop by me that mostly had house music, with a little hip hop section, and I remembered I had seen that album there when I was browsing like a week before. I pretty much ran over there to cop (I also got Slum Village Vol 1 at that shop, so I think their little hip hop section was curated by someone really into underground hip hop), and the rest is history...

kind of a side note to Cage is he was working with Sub Roc when he died. I always wonder if that music is out there somewhere