RIP MF DOOM

Daps
Reppin
NULL
This. People may not be familiar with specific songs or lyrics, but DOOM is one of the few underground hip-hop acts that was able to break through to that next tier. An "underground mainstream" level kinda thing. He was definitely known in industry circles. You're not getting TV and sneaker contracts if you're a music industry unknown. I've seen cars riding around before with MF DOOM stickers on them. Heard Madvillain over the speakers in a movie theater before. DOOM had an international fanbase and was an icon on certain levels.

NORE ain't exactly a hip-hop historian anyway to be honest.

this is true. but take nore out of it. even a nas, jay, face, dmx, snoop, dre, red, etc . it just seemed like the mainstream rappers never really gave him his props or ever shouted him out. not that he was seeking their validation or even needing it. im not taking anything away from dude at all and i didnt intend for it to come off that way. my point was just like damn i only know 2 people in my real life who really listened to DOOM and they were both white. I was just thinkin to myself like damn would i really even have got put on to his music like that if i wasnt browsing internet forums and shyt like that in the early 2000's

Daps
this is true. but take nore out of it. even a nas, jay, face, dmx, snoop, dre, red, etc . it just seemed like the mainstream rappers never really gave him his props or ever shouted him out. not that he was seeking their validation or even needing it. im not taking anything away from dude at all and i didnt intend for it to come off that way. my point was just like damn i only know 2 people in my real life who really listened to DOOM and they were both white. I was just thinkin to myself like damn would i really even have got put on to his music like that if i wasnt browsing internet forums and shyt like that in the early 2000's

I hear you. But you never know who's listening. One of the things that I was surprised by when Sean Price passed was that tweet Pusha T put out saying he remembers sitting with RZA, Q-Tip, and Kanye when Kanye was recording MBDTF album and they were all talking about how dope Sean Price was. And RZA put out a tweet days later sounding pretty heartbroken over his death.

I'm sure Jay probably knew him personally. They were both Ansaars running around in the NY hip-hop scene in the early 90s. The average person def has no idea about DOOM songs or music, vut the average person isn't deep into the culture like we are.

I am surprised him and Red never collaborated though. Both crazy individual orginals. Woulda been dope hearing them over some Metal Fingers or E double beats.

Ku$h Parker

I'm Nothin Correctable
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside
man I was supposed to trade with Piston Honda for a VHS with the DOOM videos, but he flaked out on me :francis:

yeah, I'm still salty about that shyt :mjlol:

Bro, you were one of the first people I thought about in this thread. I pretty much credit you and @Majestyx for really pushing me hard to get up on the DOOM train back in 2000 right around the time Operation Doosmday dropped. I was up on his Fondle 'Em singles before SOHH but I didn't really see the genius just yet.

And don't be too mad. You could have made a deal with Vanderslice for a trade and REALLY got played out :lolbron:

What was the name of the Subforum on SOHH that had the Underground Stuff that Sentenza Modded?:pachaha:I think NJJ Ran it too

Daps
What was the name of the Subforum on SOHH that had the Underground Stuff that Sentenza Modded?:pachaha:I think NJJ Ran it too

Nah, I ran Know The Ledge, which was one of the precursors to Higher Learning on The Coli. You thinking of "The Spot"? That was the renamed "General Hip-Hop Forum". Sentenza modded that sub-forum.

Wow. We been doing this for over two decades now brehs.

:wow:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Had to listen to Dangerdoom again. I’m so glad Doom was able to do this album during my favorite Adult Swim lineup. They’re never going to touch that lineup btw. I was big into ATHF and Harvey Birdman back then too. Man this song and beat is so hard to me.

love this shyt

Headcase

The Angry Young Man
Daps
Reppin
North Carolina
I was never a fan of Doom, but I can acknowledge his widespread influence, and his death is a huge loss for Hip-Hop. R.I.P.

Also, I'm not one to stir up shyt or accuse someone of exploitation... but I can't help but notice how Rhymesayers started selling limited edition MF Doom Halloween masks this year on October 27th... and continued to sell them after Doom passed on Halloween.