Rich kids run basketball now

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Whats wrong with not being poor?
Nothing. But when they become over-represented in the league then we start to realize that this sport may no longer be merit based. Players like Kobe may have gotten teased for coming from means, but that wasn't why they made it. It was cause they were the best and beat the best. Not just other kids who were allowed in.

Last edited:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Nothing. But when they become over-represented in the league then we start to realize that this sport may no longer be merit based. Players like Kobe may have gotten teased for coming from means, but that wasn't why they made it. It cause they were the best and beat the best. Not just other kids who were allowed in.
what kids are being kept out tho? Especially in the age of the Youtube Mixtape? shyt you got guys like Daniel Gafford who is from bum fukk Arkansas who made the league.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
He’s got a mean streak in his game too. From the videos I’ve seen of him, I can tell
he’s tough to contain him down low because of his size/power :dame: and it’s difficult to defend against him without taking fouls.I also can tell he’s a tough gritty player who loves to play in the sand paper. If he becomes as good as advertised he will be a brute skilled force with speed. He’s tall and agile/ mobile.
Yeah, a lot of American talent are twigs while a lot of European talent are built like tanks (not France). Koa is basically built the same as European talent: play High BBIQ, strongman basketball.

I'd seriously want for more American players to hit the gym with their American Football counterparts. I don't think there's a better strength building program for High School-aged athletes in the world than America's Football programs.

When you watch Deestroying, you see HS WR's/Corners giving some work to college talent and older athletes because these HS football players are so strong and explosive. Don't know why we don't put that in our programs when you see how effective players like Luka and Jokic are at making defenders look weak as they basically toy with them.

Strength is probably the most underrated athletic trait in the NBA but when players got it: Shaq, LeBron, Jokic, Giannis, Luka, etc. they dominate and make it look easy. There's not really much you can do against someone who can basically manhandle you for points or keep you at bay to make a nice pass. That's why I'm high on Paolo Banchero to make some crazy leaps the next few years.

This was dude last year a real 6'8 at 235 lbs. while most Americans are 6'8 200 lbs (like AJ and Boozer):

Doesn't show the playmaking because that's only scoring highlights but it's all there and it's really good.

Last edited:

Karume

All Star
Daps
I could be wrong but I dont feel like pros and former pros were pushing their kids like that in the past. People with connects and money will always have an edge.
could it be that the salary of players rising is what is increasing the 'gap"?

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
They were. Lot of the pros had kids who played college sports. D1 was just filled with better talent at the time, so they didn't get drafted.

In the modern era, the exceptional athletes from hood areas are getting derailed along the way more than before. So the sons of pros have a better shot at making the league and staying than before.
They're getting derailed because nobody is reaching back to grab them like they used to. All the guys we're talking about usually had a guy who went above and beyond to make sure he succeeded. NOW, that same guy is pushing his own kid to succeed once he realized his kid doesn't need to be as athletic, as tall, or as explosive anymore.

Last edited:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Damn, now a bunch of shyt is running through my mind, like I can't remember the last time I seen a video of somebody hooping on an outdoor court in the park. It is usually some state of the art gym nowadays
Man, just look at the hoop mixtapes for these kids and compare them to the ones from the early 2000s. It's all below the rim shyt. We're ushering a generation of rim grazers into the league.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
what kids are being kept out tho? Especially in the age of the Youtube Mixtape? shyt you got guys like Daniel Gafford who is from bum fukk Arkansas who made the league.
We're talking numbers and over-representation of one demographic.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Yeah, a lot of American talent are twigs while a lot of European talent are built like tanks (not France). Koa is basically built the same as European talent: play High BBIQ, strongman basketball.

I'd seriously want for more American players to hit the gym with their American Football counterparts. I don't think there's a better strength building program for High School-aged athletes in the world than America's Football programs.

When you watch Deestroying, you see HS WR's/Corners giving some work to college talent and older athletes because these HS football players are so strong and explosive. Don't know why we don't put that in our programs when you see how effective players like Luka and Jokic are at making defenders look weak as they basically toy with them.

Strength is probably the most underrated athletic trait in the NBA but when players got it: Shaq, LeBron, Jokic, Giannis, Luka, etc. they dominate and make it look easy. There's not really much you can do against someone who can basically manhandle you for points or keep you at bay to make a nice pass. That's why I'm high on Paolo Banchero to make some crazy leaps the next few years.

This was dude last year a real 6'8 at 235 lbs. while most Americans are 6'8 200 lbs (like AJ and Boozer):

Doesn't show the playmaking because that's only scoring highlights but it's all there and it's really good.

Eh, it's because MOST people lose a lot of explosiveness while trying to build strength. All the guys you named had the natural god-given frames to build strength without sacrificing speed etc.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Eh, it's because MOST people lose a lot of explosiveness while trying to build strength. All the guys you named had the natural god-given frames to build strength without sacrificing speed etc.
I mean, Luka and Jokic aren't really twitchy like that. I'd say deceptively quick, but that's a large part cerebral.

I think football programs have a good way of building that kind of athleticism that you're referring to though but you're right: not everyone will see the same results.

I think it'll be interesting to see as Australia/Oceania is getting more popular with basketball via the NBL if we're going to see more Polynesian/Islander talent. Those cats can get pretty tall but have thicker bones and more muscle mass than basically anyone on the planet. Imagine Steven Adams with skills. Pretty sure Koa is half as well.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
not going to look too deep into it but upbringing brings a different personality and maybe there’s a reason why Ant is the NbAs favorite personality right now
:jbhmm:
It's a crapshoot

Cause you got maniacs like Bean, Steph, and others who grew up well to do with dog also

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
The fukk are you talking about? Byrce and Kiyan can really hoop.. prob one of the top players in their age brackets :dahell:
Bryce is not on the level to be at those camps . He’s a mid-major player . if Kiyan Anthony was Kiyan Davis he wouldn’t be there either .hes better than Bryce and should probably be a 2-3 year player at a major school (unless he levels up).

They were both cut for a reason.