Rich kids run basketball now

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Were they? The only player off top I know did was magic cuz he had like a weird 20 million/20 year deal

Some were. Since the NBA’s popularity grew throughout the 80s with Magic/Bird and then MJ in 84’, million dollar salaries probably got much more common later in the 80s than early 80s. Magic’s weird deal was in the early 80s.

By the end of the 80s, the Lakers had 4 players making at least a million, the Celtics had 3, the Pistons and Bulls each had 2.

I also remember reading The Jordan Rules and it was 90’ or 91’ and John Paxson re-signed for over a mil. Jerry Krause said to his face “I can’t believe I’m paying you this much”, which pissed off Paxson and other players.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I mean, Luka and Jokic aren't really twitchy like that. I'd say deceptively quick, but that's a large part cerebral.

I think football programs have a good way of building that kind of athleticism as well.

I think it'll be interesting to see as Australia/Oceania is getting more popular with basketball via the NBL if we're going to see more Polynesian/Islander talent. Those cats can get pretty tall but have thicker bones and more muscle mass than basically anyone on the planet. Imagine Steven Adams with skills. Pretty sure Koa is half as well.

I'd argue that Luka and Jokic are twitchy as fukk. They just don't have traditional straight line speed we're used to when measuring athleticism.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But I think that's why, financially you might as well give it a go and try to become pro since you have all the resources. If it doesn't work out you still rich, but if it does you might be able to make 3/4 times the amount your Pops did.

It's become the family business at this point. Just like Doctor's kids becoming Doctor's, same with lawyers and crehs on Wall Street

Facts

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
I quoted these together because they are tied together.

Team sports is really overrated for the reasons we're talking about.
Someone is gonna get favored because of who their father is, connections or who has Money.
Not really how good you are or how hard you work.
Unless your an unbelievable talent.

Combat sports, where we beat each other's brains in, will be the only thing left for kids in the streets.
And we don't even have free or cheap programs in the centers anymore
Smh

Facts breh

There’s probably a kid crossing the border on his mom’s back right now that’s gonna be fighting for the lightweight belt in like 20 years

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'd seriously want for more American players to hit the gym with their American Football counterparts. I don't think there's a better strength building program for High School-aged athletes in the world than America's Football programs.
I think generally speaking, high school coaches are less about individual skill development and big on team drills/exercises. That'll get you by in football because if you are doing what your supposed to do in football, and follow the training regimen, you're going to look the part at some point, especially if you are going the extra mile to work on yourself or are getting outside help to train.

In basketball that individual skill development is much more important, and coaches are either not equipped to do it, or don't care to. That won't cut it in basketball, and that's why I think on average the average HS football player is so much further along than the average HS basketball player as athletes.

triplehate

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ECU
This is a good thing, name recognition!! I wouldn't care about any of these players if they parents was regular

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is ultimately bad for every sport where money and class is the predominant barrier of entry.

I'm not even sure where the middle class and poor can go to for another avenue toward athletic greatness.

Even E-Sports are dominated by groups of investors and people with lots of money. And lack of quality Internet and other equipment already limits the talent pool there.
Correct me if I'm wrong but this was a big reason England and France took a hit in soccer. The exclusion.... They figured it out and the their teams have gotten back, well France that is, but England has also gotten better... Again, I could be wrong but this is from what I remember.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
We gon act like kids from the trenches don’t get scholarships to the same private schools?

Genetics is a big thing in basketball and add the pressure, stress free environment and having an elite player in your household, that will give you a head start.

But these names are just wild, it must change during college?:skip:

b. woods

Peace
Daps
I still have hope for the ones in tough circumstances.

There is some kid with only a pair of soft ass Reebok classics that smell like parmesan cheese on the inside, who can only afford a haircut every 2 months, that is going to be able to bring generational wealth to his family through basketball

:mjlol:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Correct me if I'm wrong but this was a big reason England and France took a hit in soccer. The exclusion.... They figured it out and the their teams have gotten back, well France that is, but England has also gotten better... Again, I could be wrong but this is from what I remember.
I can't talk too much about it because I don't know.

But overall soccer has historically been a great pathway for the poor to be great athletically and to get out of poverty.

Diego Maradona was famously dirt poor. Literally dirt poor.

I think even Wayne Rooney grew up poor. Or at least in a rough environment.

You could list a whole bunch of guys from Africa.
Samuel Eto'o comes to mind.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Were they? The only player off top I know did was magic cuz he had like a weird 20 million/20 year deal
Mike signed for $24 Ms for 8 years IIRC in the 80s. I know Bird was getting Ms, not sure about the number. You had Juwan Howard getting $100 Ms in the 90s. They not jumping from < a mil to that for a player of that caliber that fast.

concise

Veteran
Daps
Man .....

this is an Under-17 team.
Let's wait and see how these guys at least look in college.

There have been plenty of guys who made theU17 team who did nothing as pros.