Rewatching Game of Thrones from the beginning and..

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This isn’t true.
The only thing we know is George’s idea is King Bran and that’s not a bad idea, it’s the show’s execution of it that is bad.
There’s so many important characters that D&D cut which I understand considering the difference between novels and television but they legit left out some major characters that will have major roles in the story to come.
Dany burning King's landing is George too. He's confirmed it and it's foreshadowed in the books anyway

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Seasons 1-6 are absolutely PERFECT in my opinion.

After season 6 your just better making up your own imagined ending or reading some fanfic instead of continuing. Same thing i’ve been saying for years about Lost. Seasons 1-4 were FIRE but the final two really leave a bad aftertaste

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This isn’t true.
The only thing we know is George’s idea is King Bran and that’s not a bad idea, it’s the show’s execution of it that is bad.
There’s so many important characters that D&D cut which I understand considering the difference between novels and television but they legit left out some major characters that will have major roles in the story to come.

Everything GRRM had for the way the story ends he gave them, its the lead up they had to come up with their own path

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Everything GRRM had for the way the story ends he gave them, its the lead up they had to come up with their own path

I'm not sure where people are getting all that from. The creators said it themselves that GRRM gave them the endings for the main characters. She was always gonna burn shyt to the ground. Snow was always gonna be the savior. etc.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
nothing will ever top the battle of the b*stards and that was season 6, its not like the last couple seasons were a total wash, it had some epic moments sprinkled throughout

I think its just really hard to balance the political drama side with the high fantasy side, and unfortunately the latter had to scale up eventually but made the first few seasons more interesting plot lines seem trivial in the end

House of The Dragon has been balancing it a lot better imo but thats because the Dragons were in it from the start so they didn’t have to do much to work them into the plot line.

theres almost no fantasy in the first 4 seasons of game of thrones. The most you got were the giants at the wall, and hints of white walkers. By season 8 it was like dragons, white walkers, giants, shape shifters, stone men, p*ssy monsters, whatever Gregor ended up as, etc.

Probably why they didn’t bother with Lady Stoneheart.

What you outlined PERFECTLY explains why the series needed at LEAST 3 more seasons with full 10-11 episode orders.

Seasons 1-5. Political intrigue/character building/world building with hints of magic and fantasy

Seasons 6-10. The magic and fantasy take the main stage with clear explanations for the white walkers, they’re motivations, the Gods and their followers, the Starks and Targaryens connections to both, Jon Snow’s importance, etc.

They could have balanced both thematic narrations with more time and better writing. Its not hard. Even Dany eventually burning Kings Landing COULD have worked given more build up and better plotting. Her falling in love with Jon COULD have worked given more time for the characters to interact. Jon Snow not ending up on the Iron Throne COULD have worked (though I think all things considered it would have been to make him the King at the end. I know George R R Martin wanted to avoid cliches but its fantasy, there’s ALWAYS going to be some cliche about the genre)

Hell i’d say a good 90% of what was in the final two seasons COULD have worked had it been fleshed out and not rushed. Bran was absolutely useless in the final battle and honestly his powers were pretty trivial overall (He was basically a walking flashback) the way they tried to pit Arya against Sansa was awful. Littlefinger’s ending was awful. Arya not killing Cersei was bullshyt. Jon not getting the fade with the Night’s King was some REAL BULLshyt. Tyrion falling in love with Dany was dumb. These are the things I DEFINITELY would have changed.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I'm not sure where people are getting all that from. The creators said it themselves that GRRM gave them the endings for the main characters. She was always gonna burn shyt to the ground. Snow was always gonna be the savior. etc.
I haven’t rewatched it but don’t have a issue how it ended I think the issue is and the issue I did have was it wasn’t fleshed out longer to have that ending that’s all maybe more episodes or another season with the same ending it would be received differently imo
Creators themselves fukked it up cuz they didn’t want to do more and hbo did they wanted that stimulus package I think it was for Star Wars so it never got that extended episode count or season to end properly and hbo didn’t want anyone else to pick up the mantle but them and had cave in
I’ll know more if I rewatch it tho how i truly feel

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
The last season is gonna piss you off all over again.

I don't recommend people doing this lol.

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Dany burning King's landing is George too. He's confirmed it and it's foreshadowed in the books anyway

There have been multiple people from George’s camp that have let slip that the show creators did get an outline of what he was planning but they did not follow it as closely as people have been lead to believe.

This is why I’m so adamant about people stopping their blame of George and actually look at the the evidence of what happened.
There was a point where he stepped away from the show which he said was to begin writing again, but it coincided with his displeasure for the characters that had been cut and the changes being made.
There’s shyt that was cut that probably adds a lot of context to why certain things happened, Dany burning King’s Landing doesn’t mean she goes full Aerys. There are multiple things that can lead her to that and it not be the same reason or circumstances of the show.

Arya killing the Night King was completely show made, they said in the bts episode that they chose her because she was the least likely to be expected by fans, so what is Jon the savior of exactly?

Hell, there is no Night King in Asoiaf, we’re still in the dark about the plan of the Others. Which we still don’t know for the show likely because they cut something important or whatever was in-store…they simply didn’t like.
D&D were not beholden to George’s word, and people should’ve known that when they willingly expressed that they wanted to originally shy as far away from fantasy as possible in the beginning of the series.

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nobody was saying season 5 and 6 were "ass" in real time, don't come in here and post revisionist history. I'll be up to that point in the series soon.

not season 6 but definitely season 5…you not being privy to such posts doesn’t make it revisionist history

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
not season 6 but definitely season 5…you not being privy to such posts doesn’t make it revisionist history

I've read the threads and participated in them. A vocal minority is still a minority. I posted the RT critics and audience scores. I posted the IMDB audience scores. I bet I could go find other metrics that show season 5 was overwhelmingly positive.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps