Rewatching Game of Thrones from the beginning and..

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Robert Baratheon literally tells ned in episode 1 or 2 exactly what Danerys will do when they stop for that picnic. Like, he foreshadows everything that will happen if she has a dragon. He didn't need a red witch or to look into the fire...he knew she needed to die ASAP.

I liked Ned at first but after some time and seeing how other characters in a similar position moved, I hate Ned. Man fukked up so many lay ups for honor. :hhh:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
nothing will ever top the battle of the b*stards and that was season 6, its not like the last couple seasons were a total wash, it had some epic moments sprinkled throughout

I think its just really hard to balance the political drama side with the high fantasy side, and unfortunately the latter had to scale up eventually but made the first few seasons more interesting plot lines seem trivial in the end

House of The Dragon has been balancing it a lot better imo but thats because the Dragons were in it from the start so they didn’t have to do much to work them into the plot line.

theres almost no fantasy in the first 4 seasons of game of thrones. The most you got were the giants at the wall, and hints of white walkers. By season 8 it was like dragons, white walkers, giants, shape shifters, stone men, p*ssy monsters, whatever Gregor ended up as, etc.

Probably why they didn’t bother with Lady Stoneheart.
I think that's the issue with the last 2 seasons because nobody was saying s6 was trash when the Battle of the b*stards happened. I think most people were drawn to the political aspect of the show and the unpredictability of characters' deaths. The final 2 seasons had to wrap things up and finally get heavier on the fantasy side of the world. I don't think people mind that the white walkers are finally making moves. However, it was just written poorly and the battle was one of the weaker ones of the show. Also, the behind the scene drama of the creators wanting to end the show early due to Star Wars made people more critical of the last 2 seasons.

I think HBO did a bigger fumble by not finding new creators to extend the show because it felt they wrapped up things too quickly in the final 2 seasons

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think that's the issue with the last 2 seasons because nobody was saying s6 was trash when the Battle of the b*stards happened. I think most people were drawn to the political aspect of the show and the unpredictability of characters' deaths. The final 2 seasons had to wrap things up and finally get heavier on the fantasy side of the world. I don't think people mind that the white walkers are finally making moves. However, it was just written poorly and the battle was one of the weaker ones of the show. Also, the behind the scene drama of the creators wanting to end the show early due to Star Wars made people more critical of the last 2 seasons.

I think HBO did a bigger fumble by not finding new creators to extend the show because it felt they wrapped up things too quickly in the final 2 seasons

Its also partly GRRM’s fault because that is 100% the ending he had in mind and all he had scribbled down for a conclusion for the last book and he let the show runners fill in the blanks and rush through it. Thats probably why he’ll never bother to finish writing it cause he ran out of ideas after book 3 and he’d rather just let hbo take the fall for it.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nothing will ever top the battle of the b*stards and that was season 6, its not like the last couple seasons were a total wash, it had some epic moments sprinkled throughout

I think its just really hard to balance the political drama side with the high fantasy side, and unfortunately the latter had to scale up eventually but made the first few seasons more interesting plot lines seem trivial in the end

House of The Dragon has been balancing it a lot better imo but thats because the Dragons were in it from the start so they didn’t have to do much to work them into the plot line.

theres almost no fantasy in the first 4 seasons of game of thrones. The most you got were the giants at the wall, and hints of white walkers. By season 8 it was like dragons, white walkers, giants, shape shifters, stone men, p*ssy monsters, whatever Gregor ended up as, etc.

Probably why they didn’t bother with Lady Stoneheart.

Seasons 5-7 were not terrible at all. We got some of the most epic episodes during those seasons because they had a bigger budget. Yeah the writing was big as tight, but you can’t front on a lot of those episodes and we did not in real time. We were all going crazy in the live threads and talking about the episodes for days.

Hell, I’d argue the first two episodes of season 8 were great in real time. I think the stench of the ending unfairly paints the later seasons as wack in retrospect. It’s a damn shame D&D will be remembered for fumbling on the five yard line when they really gave us 7 seasons of really great TV.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah Robert was that guy. Tywin is a master strategist when it come to the brick and mortar shyt but he was full of himself not tryin to hear about her little ass dragons, blah blah it's been 300 years.. he wasn't taken it seriously.
:dahell: where are you getting it from that Tywin wasn't taking Dany and her dragons seriously? Just because he wasn't boisterous about it didn't mean he wasn't taking it seriously.

It wasn't an immediate threat in the face of everything else Tywin had to deal with but he still kept Dany in his thoughts

We forgetting about him trying to coerce Oberyn into bringing Dorne back into the 7 kingdoms because Dorne has killed a dragon before?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Nobody was saying season 5 and 6 were "ass" in real time, don't come in here and post revisionist history. I'll be up to that point in the series soon.

But I do want to say something about Martin. That was all HIS ending. Yes, it sucked how they got there so obviously you can make the case that Martin's journey to get everyone to King's Landing would have been more interesting, thoughtful and drawn out and that's important but that bytch is gonna burn down King's Landing, everyone knows it and everyone figured out Snow's destiny a long ass time ago. Stop me when I'm telling lies.

I think that's why he doesn't want to finish the books. He's more interested in these character's journey and layering and layering than he is with any type of conclusion and now that everyone knows the conclusion and some didn't like it, he's like fukk the fans I'm just gonna sit on my pile of money.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody was saying season 5 and 6 were "ass" in real time, don't come in here and post revisionist history. I'll be up to that point in the series soon.

But I do want to say something about Martin. That was all HIS ending. Yes, it sucked how they got there so obviously you can make the case that Martin's journey to get everyone to King's Landing would have been more interesting, thoughtful and drawn out and that's important but that bytch is gonna burn down King's Landing, everyone knows it and everyone figured out Snow's destiny a long ass time ago. Stop me when I'm telling lies.

I think that's why he doesn't want to finish the books. He's more interested in these character's journey and layering and layering than he is with any type of conclusion and now that everyone knows the conclusion and some didn't like it, he's like fukk the fans I'm just gonna sit on my pile of money.
People were definitely calling season 5 bad when it was out. The Dorne storyline is famously panned. Now I can't think of anyone calling season 6 bad and personally season 6 is my favorite season behind 4. In the oral history book about the making of the show they even Juelz about why season 5 was as bad as it was

And there are two major reasons George ain't finish them books

1. He became a celebrity. If most of us became a celebrity in our 60s we wouldn't finish shyt either:mjlol:

2. Book fans don't like to admit it but George wrote himself into a hole with the previous two books. He made too much work for himself plot wise and he knows two more books ain't enough to wrap up the series

Last edited:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
s5 is when it fell off

if you know you know
Honestly the very end of season 4 was the beginning of the trouble

D&D made a major change to Tyrion which had a ripple effect throughout the rest of the show

I got a LONG ass post about this in one of the GOT threads so I don't wanna retype it but the way Tyrion kills Shae and Tywin in the books vs the show is an enormous change

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
I don't give a fukk this is still a GOAT contender because of how fukkin dope all these seasons are. I'll critique the later seasons when I get up to that point but right now I'm at the beginning of season 4 and it's nothing but greatness.

"The Rains of Castamere" is still an all-time great episode of any TV series ever :wow: :wow: fukkin HAUNTING once that beat drops...

I think my favorite character this time around is Tywin. Dude is a menace. Ether in every scene. Servin it. I forgot how badly he was ethering Joffrey :damn:

"I think the king needs a nap" etc... :comeon: Full on Shadow government

AnyChillyHamster-size_restricted.gif
Sigur ros is the best version of Rains.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
We forgetting about him trying to coerce Oberyn into bringing Dorne back into the 7 kingdoms because Dorne has killed a dragon before?

I didn't forget it my point is he wasn't taking it super serious at the time. He was more worried about getting the Tyrells into the fold, marrying Sansa into the Lannister family and paying off the debt to the Iron Bank.

By the way, season 5:

Game of Thrones 93% from critics and 90% from audiences.

Game of Thrones (TV Series 2011–2019) - IMDb every episode above an 8.3 and multiple episodes above a 9.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't forget it my point is he wasn't taking it super serious at the time. He was more worried about getting the Tyrells into the fold, marrying Sansa into the Lannister family and paying off the debt to the Iron Bank.

By the way, season 5:

Game of Thrones 93% from critics and 90% from audiences.

Game of Thrones (TV Series 2011–2019) - IMDb every episode above an 8.3 and multiple episodes above a 9.
That's because all that other shyt was in Tywin's face at the time. You want a scene of Tywin screaming about having to kill Dany way over in Essos? While he just came out of a war? With the possibility of another one starting?

Not to mention his son going missing because of the previous war, a war that put him in inescapable debt because oh yea don't forget, the Lannisters have no more gold

The fukk you wanted him to do?:mjlol:

And the fact that he mentions Dany to Oberyn should give enough credence to the idea that Tywin had Dany in mind during his moves. Trying to bring the Tyrells and Dorne into the fold? That alone shows he was trying his hardest to solidify Westeros before Dany flies over, making demands and claims

It's hilarious that you think the most serious nikka in the whole show, wasn't taking Dany seriously:russ: you need to buy bricks before you build a house

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
We should rly do a rewatch, like with the sopranos. GOT us stil one of my fav shows, sad how Hbo couldnt just do another 2 seasons and do the wnding properly

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Its also partly GRRM’s fault because that is 100% the ending he had in mind and all he had scribbled down for a conclusion for the last book and he let the show runners fill in the blanks and rush through it. Thats probably why he’ll never bother to finish writing it cause he ran out of ideas after book 3 and he’d rather just let hbo take the fall for it.

This isn’t true.
The only thing we know is George’s idea is King Bran and that’s not a bad idea, it’s the show’s execution of it that is bad.
There’s so many important characters that D&D cut which I understand considering the difference between novels and television but they legit left out some major characters that will have major roles in the story to come.