Rent a center should be illegal

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Seems you want it to be one way when it's really the other.

Especially when rent a center often depends on the government to collect items they sold to a customer who could not afford it. :mjlol:

You're not making any sense, so be use they have to utilize the post office they should be regulated? Because they have to use the court system they should be regulated?

You're the one connecting things that should not be connected. This is simply not a case the government belongs in and if they do, RAC may cease to exist and these few people can go along living their lives without furniture and Xbox's that they couldn't afford and clearly shouldn't be purchasing

But we all know they will find ways to get those items, probably by layaway and then you'll want Walmart regulated instead of addressing the root issue

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What do you mean they don't understand what's going on? They know how much the payments are and how long it takes to pay it off .

Predatory lending is more when banks go after Customer with offers that are deceitful or abusive , RAC is serving customers with products delivery, and setup fees with clear pricing .

There's a difference, I don't mind it being regulated but capping a 1% margin company is stupid
Rent-A-Center should have to do the math for people and post the final cost to buyers right next to that cheap low payment. If thep post final cost of Xbox One is $1063 next to $19.99 I'm good with not regulating them any further.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Rent-A-Center should have to do the math for people and post the final cost to buyers right next to that cheap low payment. If thep post final cost of Xbox One is $1063 next to $19.99 I'm good with not regulating them any further.

I'm almost sure they do...i could be wrong , but the multiplication required to calculate that is something any grown adult should be able to do. They tell you the montly costs, if over year I'm paying $70 a month for an Xbox one that costs 350...i mean cmon .

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Daps
This whole society is debt based so keep that same energy in regards to the society you live in :coffee:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm almost sure they do...i could be wrong , but the multiplication required to calculate that is something any grown adult should be able to do. They tell you the montly costs, if over year I'm paying $70 a month for an Xbox one that costs 350...i mean cmon .
Yeah I just checked. The Beats Studio 3s are $960 in my area and it says that. They're $279 at Best Buy.

The 6 months same as cash price is $600. Those are some expensive headphones.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
This whole society is debt based so keep that same energy in regards to the society you live in :coffee:
yes it is and even the govt pays higher interest rates depending on when the bonds are issued. corporations pay higher interest rates for their debt depending on their financial situation. GE got downgraded this year and the interest costs that they will pay from now on will be much higher than before. so because our society is debt based, companies that give you money or a product on credit are allowed to price in risk, especially with unsecured debt where the consumer already has bad credit and you can't hurt them in that way. we need to differentiate between necessities and frivolous.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Yeah I just checked. The Beats Studio 3s are $960 in my area and it says that. They're $279 at Best Buy.

The 6 months same as cash price is $600. Those are some expensive headphones.

so I don't get it then. If they are clearly telling you that htey are chaging you more than 3x the price and you go along with it, I don't see the issue. These are luxury items, they aren't charging people for bread and water!

@Call Me James

help a breh out, i want to understand the point here.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
You're not making any sense, so be use they have to utilize the post office they should be regulated? Because they have to use the court system they should be regulated?

You're the one connecting things that should not be connected. This is simply not a case the government belongs in and if they do, RAC may cease to exist and these few people can go along living their lives without furniture and Xbox's that they couldn't afford and clearly shouldn't be purchasing

But we all know they will find ways to get those items, probably by layaway and then you'll want Walmart regulated instead of addressing the root issue
The government is already in this space. :mjlol:

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
The government is already in this space. :mjlol:

no they aren't, they are regulating banks for other reason and obvious banks and lenders that are doing predatory tactics which should be illegal (except risk based calculations not based on race/color/gender/religion). Also government steps in on banks for obvious reasons if they are take on too many bad loans the repercussions on the economy would be bad...if RAC takes on too many bad loans, they go bankrupt and no one would lose sleep

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Daps
yes it is and even the govt pays higher interest rates depending on when the bonds are issued. corporations pay higher interest rates for their debt depending on their financial situation. GE got downgraded this year and the interest costs that they will pay from now on will be much higher than before. so because our society is debt based, companies that give you money or a product on credit are allowed to price in risk, especially with unsecured debt where the consumer already has bad credit and you can't hurt them in that way. we need to differentiate between necessities and frivolous.

Agreed. I agree with the thread's premise that RAC is a scam, but its a scam in a society that is essentially a scam. The real thing that needs to be said is your last sentence. Nothing in RAC is a necessity so its an avoidable scam...

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hence my positions in this thread :dead:

im sorry i researched the topic before making my argument, that's my bad. should have went off emotion

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Rent-to-Own: Costly Convenience

Most rent-to-own transactions are not regulated by federal lending and leasing laws that set disclosures and certain consumer protections, although some lease-purchase plans could be covered depending on the arrangement. While most states have laws regulating rent-to-own transactions, the protections vary. Check with your state Attorney General for more information

Rent to own is never a good idea. It's a business that has zero upside from a consumer perspective and as such deserves at the very least the same protections as other lending scenarios.

No argument about customer education changes those facts. :francis: