Remember when nikkas use to pretend to be into stuff like Basquiat?

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
The issue is that a lot of this era of art appreciation IS about the fads. 99% of the value of a piece of art today has jack shyt to do with the art itself and instead is all about how much hype has been built around the name the art is attached to.

Take any random graffiti artist off the street with Basquiat's style, try to get them into an exhibition or sell their work for big bucks, and you won't get anywhere. But take the exact same piece of art, forge convincing enough documentation that claims it's a "Basquiat", and the exact same shyt will sell for huge bucks and get into galleries across the world.

Remember when Damien Hirst held that auction that netted him $200 million. This is a guy who regularly makes paintings that are just fukking spots! In a lot of cases he doesn't even paint the paintings himself, he just directs one of his assistants to do a color-by-numbers and put his name on it. He has THOUSANDS of these paintings out there and they're worth big bucks solely because it's "Damien Hirst".

"Ferrocene", by Damien Hirst
iQsfMnZSuXoX1FZE-rO1pwygmeEso9yHTiRAvRQeCvGpPkW0nzIumtoTnHH9FG0TmGA_xze9HlbMQQWh7wIwCo-hOenZLLKae9DUTz2jYwxcRPNv1XtY

"Caproaldehyde", by Damien Hirst
BdlOiafbzQa6w0lrJR65GHBe41xGBJqfTXFJRmXCgYXlOYvSYhFK_ZQA_xNtjOitb9C8dDSauJg6r74wE36ng3MGziQaCZcLYe4QJ-OC8WehGYztkxucEw

"Methoxyverapamil", by Damien Hirst
bc354fda7a3c89b4a8d01bc2fe94c635.jpg

"Sulfisoxazole", by Damian Hirst
SnryrYrJ1hqDa00RzcRgQd6FkUeNnNXNBll2m_v4r2gsr1_yvYqpNPOy_ucbmaVmSwRq95Ptv7xUSxfprC0BCQFCfnkSm0thnJvqpk1h81tsS0btht9a

"Borax", by Damien Hirst
78HSFfmzPLylvxyn6SQj7q56mDrfU0oepHqgqZcgU4mkgjJAdDbtDqmCqypwiclfLLXxMqFMet-gExmckvuUcolddQ61qtRZNdHUe2tIH_CVWldbOxxB

"Aprotinin", by Damien Hirst
YxXD9EEOI5cUEJvN8j_L7IufHm9qLFhMt4zcbG2LqjtaA1YyhTDSGNyV3w_soZbk0Lq6VLwFt8lQQkNcRu-L8deryx77ExSrn3aOM-l2rslQMbsLHBoVvB3tbNw

"Sulfobromophthalein", by Damien Hirst
E51mjGcakR78-ARzcMcu5kIwXgh6CU1GKPqr9syqJ7qAizIB6Oqee7CDZAARYh2WmSJfl3i0rDIM2VsPpM9dz5OndIzYbbgG6o-2E9OYLDAUzuI

"Furegrelate", by Damien Hirst
iGjmFlkUmJjXmTMQtlVhw482KgkKXK7lo3q6nIxig8-TGaKild2Fjp5aSsEPQ-DC0mMuhnwx66qoA42zggWz2eMWIMihN2gEIfrthzW23Sz28yY_DkA

"Abalone Acetone Powder", by Damien Hirst
315f5f84a9f193ab945ab096bb4cbe78.jpg

And those probably aren't even the worst. He has numerous "pill cabinet" works, which are simply a bunch of painted pills arranged in a pill cabinet. He uses the same gimmick over and over again.

"Lullaby Winter", by Damien Hirst
L07022-36-lr-1.jpg

That sold for $19,000,000. NINETEEN MILLION DOLLARS. With that money you could build 2,000 wells to provide clean drinking water to literally a million Africans....or you could buy a fukking pill cabinet just because it has the name "Damien Hirst" on it.

You can't tell me that this shyt ain't a fad. You can't tell me that I would have gotten $19 million if I had came up with the exact same fukking pill cabinet.

Damien Hirst is the wealthiest living artist. Let that sink in.
He just did his version of Twister :ohhh:

6e38c5772fbf456f8cf39bd904438e36xl.jpg

Daps
Explain his brilliance

This best have sold for millions to
His creative outlook was seminal, striking down pillars of tradition and laying the groundwork for what would eventually become a renaissance in urban art. That he was a black man who defied the rules of an industry historically intolerant of black creativity and still achieved monumental success and prestige, was and still is an inspiration to black creatives. Many would argue that it was his chaotic marriage of graffiti and abstract expressionism that birthed what we now term “street art.”

:yeshrug:

Manolo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Basquiat wasn’t an elementary artist at all. Everything be painted had substance and only looked simple on the surface. It’s similar to when old white people call rap trash because it samples and doesn’t use “real instruments.” Or when people called Young Thug or Wayne trash because of their eccentric styles. Everybody I named is actually way nicer at what they do then it seems. You have to learn the rules to break them.

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
lol the dude i called a h-fiend yesterday for being ugly, boy you are a sad ass elephant live your life offline too bro. :russ:

aa5.jpg

to answer your prior question sir, yes sir. :wow:

IMG-0676.jpg
Silly jokes don't bother me lil nikka
And I'm talking about actual stones with nothing painted on em
Don't play dumb

ShaneTheRogue

Roguelike
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
Rather them "pretend" to be into stuff like that than getting into shoot outs at club don't you think?

But Black folks can't do shyt without criticism.

Stunt in the club we wasting money
Chill in the museum we phony and pretentious.
Hell there's a thread on here talking about how young Blacks lame because they don't go out as much so nikkas can't even stay home and mind their own business.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Basquiat wasn’t an elementary artist at all. Everything be painted had substance and only looked simple on the surface. It’s similar to when old white people call rap trash because it samples and doesn’t use “real instruments.” Or when people called Young Thug or Wayne trash because of their eccentric styles. Everybody I named is actually way nicer at what they do then it seems. You have to learn the rules to break them.
What’s yo favorite piece and analysis of it