Remember when nikkas use to pretend to be into stuff like Basquiat?

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
There’s only a few pieces of art that actually appeal to me
I still don’t understand what feel the painting means

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
This shyt is ass man:mjlol:

I only appreciate art that requires actual skill..

Basquiat paintings could be done by a fukkin 10yo

Life like portraits n shyt are nice tho cos u can appreciate the time n skill put into it...
They’re actually very boring and manufactured. And I’m not big on Basquiat, I find him and Andy Warhol to be overrated but it would be ignorant to call them trash. You literally have no taste of all you appreciate is conventional art you might as well be a cac

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Strength in Numbers scene is #blackaf is probably the stereotypical art buyer from that era op is talking about.

btw... I love that painting and would buy if I had the $. But just wanted to provide an example of the casual art buyer. Buy what catches your eye, you don’t always have to be fake deep and act like you “get it”

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
giphy.gif
still don't understand why he did that goofy shyt

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Damien Hirst artwork "Bodies". Sold for $1,000 in 1989.
17_001.jpg

"Bodies" by Damien Hirst. Sold for $2.5 million in 2020.
17_001.jpg

It's literally a stocked medicine cabinet. Sold for $1000 in 1989 because he was only a little bit famous. Sold for $2,500,000 in 2020 because he was very famous. Was it 2500 times more profound in 2020 than it had been in 1989?

I'm down with art but I'm also down with mocking the art scene when they're so enslaved to hype like this.
the art is that it's showing how medicated people are, which is why they are so numb to things or emotional.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
the art is that it's showing how medicated people are, which is why they are so numb to things or emotional.

That's about a $100 message, no?

The art world thought it was only a $1000 message back in 1989. But now that he's famous, it's suddenly a $2,500,000 message? That's what I'm talking about when I say that it's a fad.

And he's literally made 1000s of versions of the exact same shyt now, and keeps making bank off of each one. Just keeps lining up pharmaceuticals in exhibits, or lining up pills in a cabinet, or just lining up fukking colored circles and giving them pharmaceutical names, then saying, "it's a commentary on medication!" And he's made hundreds of millions of dollars off of that. Do you really think that art connoisseurs are self-evaluating their medication habits when they view a Damien Hirst piece? Do you think that his work actually makes the slightest difference in changing how medicated people are? Nah, they're saying, "Wow, look, this is a Damien Hirst, he's so rich and famous!" If they saw the exact same piece by some no-name they would ignore it.

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
Look at the documentary and the movie with Jeffrey Wright on YouTube. With the movie I wish that they would've delved more into his art.

Also was think how if they decide to do a modern update film Kid Cudi should get the role. Bruh shares a uncanny resemblance to Basquiat

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Ye been doing that from the get go, Jigga made it "fashionable" on MCHG not to mention Drake and Rawse followed
Must be mentioned that Ye is an actual artist himself.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
I looked up his work after Jay and Beyonce did the tiffany thing, and liked the shyt right away. almost all of it
the little captions and phrases he scribbled sent me down a rabbit hole