Remember when nikkas use to pretend to be into stuff like Basquiat?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Appreciating art shouldn’t be a fad:mjlol: I’m not a huge art guy but I do look at it and see certain things. You shouldn’t be able to turn this on an off cause you want to “look cool” lol.

The issue is that a lot of this era of art appreciation IS about the fads. 99% of the value of a piece of art today has jack shyt to do with the art itself and instead is all about how much hype has been built around the name the art is attached to.

Take any random graffiti artist off the street with Basquiat's style, try to get them into an exhibition or sell their work for big bucks, and you won't get anywhere. But take the exact same piece of art, forge convincing enough documentation that claims it's a "Basquiat", and the exact same shyt will sell for huge bucks and get into galleries across the world.

Remember when Damien Hirst held that auction that netted him $200 million. This is a guy who regularly makes paintings that are just fukking spots! In a lot of cases he doesn't even paint the paintings himself, he just directs one of his assistants to do a color-by-numbers and put his name on it. He has THOUSANDS of these paintings out there and they're worth big bucks solely because it's "Damien Hirst".

"Ferrocene", by Damien Hirst

0_550_382.jpg

"Caproaldehyde", by Damien Hirst
BdlOiafbzQa6w0lrJR65GHBe41xGBJqfTXFJRmXCgYXlOYvSYhFK_ZQA_xNtjOitb9C8dDSauJg6r74wE36ng3MGziQaCZcLYe4QJ-OC8WehGYztkxucEw

3837-842.jpg

"Methoxyverapamil", by Damien Hirst
bc354fda7a3c89b4a8d01bc2fe94c635.jpg

"Sulfisoxazole", by Damian Hirst

damien-hirst-sulfisoxazole.jpg

"Abalone Acetone Powder", by Damien Hirst

315f5f84a9f193ab945ab096bb4cbe78.jpg

And those probably aren't even the worst. He has numerous "pill cabinet" works, which are simply a bunch of painted pills arranged in a pill cabinet. He uses the same gimmick over and over again.

"Lullaby Winter", by Damien Hirst

3941-842-W.jpg

That sold for $19,000,000. NINETEEN MILLION DOLLARS. With that money you could build 2,000 wells to provide clean drinking water to literally a million Africans....or you could buy a fukking pill cabinet just because it has the name "Damien Hirst" on it.

You can't tell me that this shyt ain't a fad. You can't tell me that I would have gotten $19 million if I had came up with the exact same fukking pill cabinet.

Damien Hirst is the wealthiest living artist. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Damien Hirst artwork "Bodies". Sold for $1,000 in 1989.
17_001.jpg

"Bodies" by Damien Hirst. Sold for $2.5 million in 2020.
17_001.jpg

It's literally a stocked medicine cabinet. Sold for $1000 in 1989 because he was only a little bit famous. Sold for $2,500,000 in 2020 because he was very famous. Was it 2500 times more profound in 2020 than it had been in 1989?

I'm down with art but I'm also down with mocking the art scene when they're so enslaved to hype like this.

Last edited:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You have to be pretty myopic to call an era 'weird' because people liked certain art. Weird compared to what? Rappers dying of opiates and gun fire every week? Women walking around with big fake unrealistic asses? I wish all nikkas did was pretend to like art
No one really liked the art

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
:mjgrin::mjgrin::mjgrin: I remember going couple years back after I watched his movie :dame::dame:
My homegirl was hyping it up and I was expecting to see some revolutionary stuff
That day, it made me realize art is a hustle :wow::wow::wow: and suckers get got cause they wanna be cultured

pez-dispenser-dinosaur-622x500.jpg

The crown represents the victor and eventual king that our inner demons who on fire, but are manifested as a lizard are fighting with :dead:
V3oS.gif
How the hell did he get away with drawing Reptar :mjlol:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA said:
also reminds me when cats were suddenly getting into kung fu flicks and started buying in them bulk but not admitting they really hated that shyt..

:myman:

Shieeeeèt.......I'm a 70's-Baby. Errbody was into them when I was comin' up. One of the few things my wife and I could both enjoy equally was watching those flicks. Especially if they had that dude with the long white beard. She wasn't into 'wire-fights' as much as I was, but we both loved when they used weapons rather than just fists/feet.​

I miss my wife.​

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I'm so goddamn sick of this forum.
:snoop:
This is why anything thats cool or different is off the front page in 15 minutes and all the bullshyt gets multiple page threads.

Seriously fukk this thread.
:pacspit:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
:myman:

Shieeeeèt.......I'm a 70's-Baby. Errbody was into them when I was comin' up. One of the few things my wife and I could both enjoy equally was watching those flicks. Especially if they had that dude with the long white beard. She wasn't into 'wire-fights' as much as I was, but we both loved when they used weapons rather than just fists/feet.​

I miss my wife.​
We both came up from that super decade!

PEI MEI / SILVER FOX USED TO GET US CRAZY!