Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I don't want to get into any kind of sob story/type out anything thats too long to read.

But anyways, about a month ago I was fired at what was once a dream job. I currently live in Canada and was working in a niche industry within finance and it looks like the job market is pretty bleak out here at the moment. I have a CPA but havent been an accountant for 5+ years so I aint even really getting consideration for those kinds of jobs. I feel kind of lost and alone right now. Of course my friends and family all have sympathy but the truth of the matter is that none of them really can help me in anyway.

I figure its a lot of people on this forum who have been laid off or fired before and had to pick up the pieces. Any advice or stories to share?

Last edited:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Why did you get fired?
its a long story man. I honestly dont really know. They would say performance and I dont wanna make excuses but I feel like thats a cop out cause on my team I did arguably the most work last year and it was quality work. From a performance standpoint I mightve made some clerical errors but nothing crazy enough. My performance manager thought I deserved a normal performance rating but was overruled by the head of the team I barely work with and I was given the lowest tier rating. I barely even work with the head cause he was based in the UK.

Long story short though i fukked up in two ways

1) I called out somebody on my team for certain biases inhow they recruit or view certain job candidates.
2) I let it slip out during a meeting with the head of the team that i feel like I cant be myself at work (i was the only black person out of ~100 ppl).

Seems like a target was put on me as a result

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Don't go broke before you make a move. Do construction if you got to to keep the money flowing
word. Money aint an issue. The severance is 6 figures before tax...and I have about 200K saved with no debt.
Plus employment insurance should be able to cover my rent once the severance period ends

That being said I dont wanna eat into my savings in any kinda way

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
before anything else, appreciate the time away and use it to reset

the absolute last thing anyone should do is jump back out into the hiring field unsure of themselves, emotional, or with a chip on your shoulder. if you're not pressed to find immediate work - *good* - its a luxury that many don't get.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I was about to advise you to crash out but
1) I called out somebody on my team for certain biases inhow they recruit or view certain job candidates.
2) I let it slip out during a meeting with the head of the team that i feel like I cant be myself at work (i was the only black person out of ~100 ppl).
It looks like you already did :picard:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I can definitely afford it. Some ppl been mentioning this as well. Mind walking me through why its so important?

way too many people try to make the quick turn around and just.... don't make level headed calls about what to do next. if they don't want you around and you get paid to leave? good for you. for real.
I do, but man the job market is extremely picky. For VP+ level jobs they want somebody who been working in accounting for a minimum of 5+ years typically.
and stay flexible :manny: way too many of my friends turned down great opportunities because they were only looking for perfect ones. enjoy the time off, do whatever it is you've been putting off (everyone's putting off something due to work), and just let things settle.

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
I can definitely afford it. Some ppl been mentioning this as well. Mind walking me through why its so important?
It gives you space to clear your mind. People lose their jobs and they tend to wallow, and become overwhelmed by their new circumstances. You go away, have some fun, and while you’re on the beach sipping a rum punch you can begin to plot your next move without everyday distractions.