Real talk...most of Raw in 1999 was fukking GARBAGE

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Lmao I remember I use to book EWR Revenge like WWF 1999, a terrible way to book. 1999 was terrible but I was only 9 so at the time it next level shyt to me I guess. 2000 was way better though, I wish 98 and 2000 got as much ratings as 99.

Saw a pretty good article about how bad 1999 was on Bleacher Report:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/439721-wwf-circra-1999-was-awful

Lord Scion

Quality Games
Supporter
Daps

I actually liked 1999 (well... the main event stuff rather than the mid card action), but damn if yall points aren't being made in this episode of RAW. Got the Rock defending the WWE title against the Road Dogg of all people with no buildup at all. Then you got this horrid ass main event with Stone Cold and Kane.

ThisIsLife

Energy ⚡
Daps
Reppin
Near Philly
I love the attitude era, but I gotta agree. 1999 was just all over the place.

The way the High Power storyline ended with The Ministry /Corporation still confuses me.

Besides that, 1997, 1998 and 2000 will always be my favorite years of wrestling. Just great matches, storylines, wrestlers and the moments.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Wcw was ten times worse at that...100% guaranteed run in

yup, heels always won in wcw thats why it was trash. If a face had a win it was on a technicality or really short lived.

But raw was god damn awful dog. Im talking about the matches, it was the same shyt as now 30 minutes of punches and maybe one suplex.

BUT, when a nikka was in the main event you KNEW he deserved it. nikkas was talking in the main event dog. You aint just give a bum like boreton or batista the belt.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been trying to tell ya'll this. Ya'll romanticize the era too much. Outside of a few angles (DX, Brothers of Destruction, Austin v McMahon, Corporate Rock) they were throwing shyt at the wall. A lot of the mid-card angles had no continuity at all for the most part.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
It got better when HHH was pushed and WWF got a legit mainevent heel after Rock turned face.

all that shyt was equally bad.
the only thing that saved cripple ache was mankind evolving into cactus jack.
that the unheralded lench pin to the attitude era mick.
is completely ignored with his ability to navigate the russo trash to turn bullshyt into gold.
all those cripple ache promos were gawd awful.
on top of the fact most of steph's shyt was just as equally bad.
while sometimes alternatively,...
they were directly stealing from the macho/miss madness/George angle every week,.

if macho got slimed with some sewerage...[which was a retread of his karl Malone ending]
steph got slimed with sewerage, a bit after.

just both promotions were god awful.
when it came to the actual content.
if not for the principles of scsa/rock/mankind.
then, the later inclusion of Jericho, to the radicals.

both could have died a horrible death.
if they both were not playing off of one another in a war.

wwf, just made better because it gave a payoff to the fans via the faces with scsa.
yet, when cripple ache came on.
there was never any real payoff, and cripple ache ended the actual boom anyway.
by going over the rock, and ushering out the casual fan.
who at that time, were all awaiting for the typical face to win the title at mania.
when, rock did not...
all the wind was let out of the wwe sails, to where we are now.
where the company is just hell bent on trying to remanufacture.
the awful aspects of the boom.
instead of the actual good, that made and helped it.

art barr

art barr

Daps
j1ia6myC0kqNm.jpg

:deadmanny:

:russ::russ::russ:

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
Rewatching every Raw from that year in order, it shows. Now I'm 12/13 years older I still love it, but love it because it's garbage.

Yeah I know that it was their most profitable year in history or something and they had ratings through the roof, but it really shows how awful the writing was, especially post-Wrestlemania.

Rock and Austin were obviously doing their thing, but even back then every week was the same thing, the same catchphrases, the same old shyt. The crowd's were fukking hyped, and who could blame them? Wrestling was massive, but in terms of advancing stories, there wasn't much. Owen Hart was off TV for like a month, came back a week before Over The Edge as the Blue Blazer (with NO explanation) and got an IC title match at it for no reason.

The Ministry of Darkness was pure piff, but when they merged with the Corporation it made absolutely no sense, and neither did Vince being revealed as the Higher Power. All people remember from that segment is the "IT WAS ME AUSTIN!" line that Vince does with his trollface on, but it basically rendered the entire last six months obsolete.

Every week there were loads of DQ finishes, random backstage brawls and multi-man interference for NO reason. Titles changing hands like it was going out of fashion. Some of the random gimmicks and stables that came out were either :trash: or :mindblown:...but usually both.

• The Union :flabbynsick:
  • Beaver Cleavage :deadrose: that turned into Chaz the wifebeater :why:
  • Meat :sadcam:
  • D'Lo causin Terri to have a "miscarriage" then saying to the doctor "WAS SHE REALLY PREGNANT? THIS AIN'T KAYFABE DOC, SHOOT AT ME" :bryan:
  • Dr Death coming back as a ninja for a week and throwing Bart Gunn off the stage :shaq2:
  • The briefcase being raised at KOTR 1999 and never finding out who did it :beli:
  • Austin being thrown in the Detroit river then coming back next week with it barely being mentioned again

That's my Russo :to:

Seriously, Raw in 1999 was the absolute definition of #fukkery

Like seriously.. ECW(In my opinion) was miles ahead the WWE and WCW in terms of storylines, Match quality and overall fukkery. The WWE and WCW both kept on copying and raiding their talent to compete with one another and it ended up looking like shyt.

The Undercards of those 99 Raws were TERRIBLE. Entertainment value was up and they didn't focus hardly on any of the ring work. It wasn't until they picked up The Dudleyz, Taz, Kurt Angle, Jericho, Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, and Eddie within a 5 month swoop was where the quality picked up for the better

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
YOUR GOD:
full
full
full
full
full

In honesty, even though some of the storylines were whack, at least everyone HAD a story. Unlike nowadays.