READY TO LIVE: The "Ready To Die" 20th Anniversary Thread

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

NaS speaks on "ILLmatic" under performing, "Ready To Die" being in instant success and how Biggie gave him a call when he finally went Platinum on "It Was Written". I definitely think Biggie was paying attention to NaS's success on "It Was Written" cause at that point only Biggie, NaS and LL Cool J were moving units as solo rappers in New York.

Professor Polo

80s Baby
Daps
Years ago DJ Semi did this great mixtape full of "Ready To Die" OG's:

cover.jpg

00:00 01. Intro (Original Version) *Uncleared Samples*
03:10 02. Things Done Changed (Original Version)
07:05 03. Gimme The Loot (Uncensored Version)
12:10 04. Machine Gun Funk (DJ Premier Version)
15:33 05. Warning (Original Version)
19:14 06. Ready To Die (Original Version) *Different Beat*
22:59 07. One More Chance (Original Version) *Uncleared Sample*
27:54 08. fukk Me (Interlude)
29:23 09. The What (Ft. Method Man) (Original Version) *Unheard Lyrics*
33:17 10. Juicy (Pete Rock Version)
37:52 11. Everyday Struggle (Original Demo Mix)
43:07 12. Me & My bytch (Original Version) *Different Beat*
46:46 13. Respect (Original Extended Version)
52:23 14. Friend Of Mine (Original Demo Version)
55:50 15. Whatchu Want (Unreleased Original Version)
59:25 16. Suicidal Thoughts (Pete Rock Version)
1:02:24 17. Come On (Ft. Sadat X) (Unreleased Original Version)
1:07:21 18. Who Shot Ya? (Original Demo Mix)
1:08:41 19. For The Macs And Dons (Unreleased Track)
1:12:02 20. Pepsi Freestyle (Unreleased Track)
1:13:12 21. Biggie Got The Hype shyt (Unreleased 1991 Demo Track)

got a link?

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
I gotta keep it a stack. This album was mad overrated. But RTD was a fukkin monster. RTD was a certified classic

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NaS admitted "Ready To Die" made him switch his style up. Give credit where credit is due. Biggie also reminded NaS of that on "Kick in the Door":

"N!ggas used to be on cruddy sh!t took home, "Ready To Die", Listen study sh!t, now they on some Money shyt"

And on "What's Beef":

"N!ggas grimey in the early 90's far behind me, It Ain't Hard To FIND ME"

Ohh The "ILLmatic Vs Ready To Die" debate. It's like Prince Vs Michael Jackson of Hip Hop debates, lol. Biggie had his ear to the street so of course he heard and liked "ILLmatic". As I posted he felt at The Source Awards he wouldn't win Lyricist of the Year cause of "ILLmatic". There are shades of "ILLmatic" on "Ready To Die" as far as Biggie painting an atmosphere of Brooklyn in the same Way NaS did for Queenbridge. "Things Dun Change" definitely compliments "New York State of Mind". But outside of that they are different albums with different feels and moods. NaS never even attempted to make a club record on "ILLmatic". And the closet thing to commercial on the album was Michael Jackson "Human Nature" sample even though the song was hard. Both have 1 rap feature where both shined, AZ on "Life's a bytch" and Method Man on "The What". Both had great production but "Ready To Die" had just a little something more that made it appeal a little more. I was very happy with the 20th Celebration of "ILLmatic" cause I felt like NaS finally got the credit he deserved cause in 94 the album didn't get it's credit from the masses. With that said Biggie album was an instant impact and had an instant effect on Hip Hop. I think "ILLmatic" is the perfect album but Biggie was consistant over even more songs. I feel their equal but I wouldn't be mad at someone liking "ILLmatic" more. Too Bad the "Gimmie The Loot DJ PREMIER REMIX" featuring NaS didn't happen. NaS did rap with Biggie on "Born Again" on a remix of "Everyday Struggle" which he said was his favorite song on "Ready To Die":

tumblr_manjbayHzv1r94h9do1_500.jpg

(Biggie and NaS in the studio planning out the rumored "Gimme The Loot" Remix produced by DJ Premier. NaS never came back to do his verse)

is it though? i thin nas vs big is more in line with mike vs priince. but in most

NaS speaks on "ILLmatic" under performing, "Ready To Die" being in instant success and how Biggie gave him a call when he finally went Platinum on "It Was Written". I definitely think Biggie was paying attention to NaS's success on "It Was Written" cause at that point only Biggie, NaS and LL Cool J were moving units as solo rappers in New York.

biggie and nas are the two geniuses of mid- 90's ny hip hop. as dope as ghost, rae, jay, prodigy are, i think they are a notch below. nas and big were the chosen ones.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I had the master plan
I'm in the caravan on my way to Maryland
With my man Tutex to take over this projects
They call him Tutex, he tote two techs
And when he starts to bust
He likes to ask who's next?

...to Bedford Stuyvesant Livest one: The Notorious B.I.G:salute:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Thank you to the Mods of The Coli for sticky this thread and featuring it. It took me about a day to write the piece but about 2 days for the research. Really hope you guys enjoyed it. I played the album straight through yesterday and it's amazing it aged like fine wine. The bars, the beats. I mean it's just a great album. It's a must have for any Hip Hop fan. The saddest part about "Ready To Die" is it was officially the only album Biggie released in his lifetime. He spent his last years working writing and producing for Junior Mafia's "Conspiracy", Lil Kim's "Hard Core" and Puffy's "No Way Out" all while recording "Life After Death". LAD is basically "Ready To Die part II and III". I love how the Intro picked right up where "Suicidal Thoughts" left off and even love the guy saying "Previously on Ready To Die":

(Life After Death expands on the formulas and styles Biggie had "Ready To Die". Not only is he more polished lyrically but his storytelling and flow also advanced on the album too. Biggie was the better emcee on his 2nd album. But "Ready To Die" remains his magnum opus)

profound

technique
Daps

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Man, Big put on a clinic on Warning...the flows, the wit :banderas:

A staple top 10 Hip Hop album and certified classic :salute:

The most amazing thing about "Warning" To me was Biggie spit that entire song WITH NO HOOK. Just straight bars. He did the same thing on "I got a Story To Tell". But that beat is just too hard. What was Big Daddy Kane thinking when he turned it down. But the Issac Hayes original is why song has lasted the test of time. Also I feel like on "Somebody's Got To Die" on "Life After Death", Biggie eludes to "Warning" when he said, "3:52, Who the Hell is this I gets up quick cocks my fifth, stop the dogs from barking and proceed to walking" The song feels like a continuation of the "Warning" Story.

(After the "Warning" sample brought a lot of interest in the original Issac Hayes did a music video for the song on the "Dead Presidents" soundtrack. There were reports he loved Biggie's version. Wu Tang also sampled the song.)

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
If anyone has the legit record or compact disc of Ready To Die orginal 1994 version, keep it. The remastered version has different samples from the 1994 version.