READY TO LIVE: The "Ready To Die" 20th Anniversary Thread

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
tumblr_mtyqn9XLrD1svefdfo1_500.jpg

THE ALBUM COVER: Never in hip hop history as an album cover become so controversial yet Legendary at the same time. When "Ready To Die" Artwork showed a young baby with a huge afro in diapers. Many speculated if it was Biggie himself or his daughter. Regardless the cover has become one of the most Legendary covers ever and has joined Nirvana's "Nevermind" as one of the most famous Baby album covers. The cover actually goes along with the theme of the album which starts with Biggie's Birth.

A Year after it's release out of nowhere Biggie was blind sided by a diss from Wu Tang's Reakwon and Ghostface accusing him of copying NaS's "ILLmatic" cover. Though the covers really don't look a like at the time people again though it was Biggie's baby picture so they said he was coping NaS cause NaS used a young picture of himself.

Illmatic_Album_Cover_Comparison.jpg

(It was later reviled that NaS's Legendary cover was likely influenced by his Jazz album cover)

Well 3 Years ago the "Ready To Die" Baby came forward. Come to find out Puffy used a child modeling agency to find the kid.

iy5k88qpgofj804qif0j.jpg

images

http://on.aol.com/video/notorious-bigs-ready-to-die-kid-grows-up-517131884

Keithroy Yearwood is the famous Afro Baby on the cover. He's now 21 years old and he's from the Bronx. 20 years later the album cover is one of the most iconic in Hip Hop History spanning posters and T-shirts:

Nothing_Was_the_Same_cover_1.png

(Drake's platinum selling 3rd album "Nothing was the same" album cover was heavily influenced by "Ready To Die)

NotoriousOneFR.jpg

(The Baby was also featured on the "One More Chance" Single cover)

3040622.jpg

(During the 10th Anniversary, Puffy released a remastered version and changed the cover from White backdrop to Black)

Keithroy-Yearwood-Ready-To-Die1.jpg

tumblr_lyvvwetVXr1r94h9do1_500.png

The same way it was recently uncovered that "ILLmatic" album cover probably was influnced by The Jazz album "A child is Born". I'm willing to bet the "Ready To Die" album cover got it influence from this album cover. It's from The Ohio Players album "The Early Years" greatest hits album complitaion. Biggie actually samples "Singing in the Morning" song which is on his album. The sample was removed cause of cleariest but check out the cover. Cleary "Ready To Die" was influenced by it:

ohio-players-the-best-of-the-early-years-volume-one-b.jpg

Last edited:

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
sometimes i hate reading these anniversary and tributes to B.I.G. cuz of the all of WHAT IFs and COULDA WOULDA SHOULDA :snoop:

I still can't get over the death of him and i mean maybe he was just meant to give us what he did for that time being but either way i really really feel ROBBED! :sadcam:

International S.

"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Daps
Reppin
Portsmouth, VA
"What kinda girls do you like?...Well thats va-ri-ous, I like long hair ..or dem Halle Berry cuts, real big butts, yeah thick with lipstick, cause when it comes to girls, I'm so optimistic"

Legend:salute:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
http://hiphopwired.com/2012/03/09/the-notorious-b-i-g-from-unsigned-hype-to-king-of-ny/

"BIG’s singles “Juicy” and “Unbelievable” far surpassed Nas’ “It Ain’t Hard To Tell” and “The World Is Yours”. When Ready To Die hit store shelves, it instantly captured the imagination and attention of not only hardcore Hip-Hop heads but it also managed to crossover and eventually win the hearts and minds of casual Rap fans as well. Ready To Die was for the East Coast and New York what Dr. Dre’s The Chronicwas for the West Coast and Los Angeles. Biggie’s lyrical brilliance and street credibility coupled with his overwhelming commercial success aided in his official ascent to the throne. Christopher Wallace, not Francis White, had assumed the mantle of King Of New York. Off of one album. All while Nas and the Wu-Tang Clan were hotter than lava fresh out of the microwave."

"we all acknowledged that Biggie was the nicest cat in the game. Even in a Coogi sweater and gators as opposed to an Army jacket, jeans & Timbs."

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

Mister Cee, Funk Flex, DJ Red Alert, Method Man and Puffy talking about the 20th Anniversary.

Also one great thing about Biggie is his bars are so timeless you can insert them over any era in Hip Hop and they will sound amazing. Check out these remixes/Blends from Ready To Die songs on Production after Biggie Died:

Suicidal Thoughts (Renegade Remix)

Warning (Hot N!gga Remix)

One More Chance (Oochie Wally Remix)

Everyday Struggle (Ghetto Remix) Featuring Tupac and Akon

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
http://hiphopwired.com/2012/03/09/the-notorious-b-i-g-from-unsigned-hype-to-king-of-ny/

"BIG’s singles “Juicy” and “Unbelievable” far surpassed Nas’ “It Ain’t Hard To Tell” and “The World Is Yours”. When Ready To Die hit store shelves, it instantly captured the imagination and attention of not only hardcore Hip-Hop heads but it also managed to crossover and eventually win the hearts and minds of casual Rap fans as well. Ready To Die was for the East Coast and New York what Dr. Dre’s The Chronicwas for the West Coast and Los Angeles. Biggie’s lyrical brilliance and street credibility coupled with his overwhelming commercial success aided in his official ascent to the throne. Christopher Wallace, not Francis White, had assumed the mantle of King Of New York. Off of one album. All while Nas and the Wu-Tang Clan were hotter than lava fresh out of the microwave."

"we all acknowledged that Biggie was the nicest cat in the game. Even in a Coogi sweater and gators as opposed to an Army jacket, jeans & Timbs."

Juicy and unbelievabe were great songs and great singles but it ain't hard to tell and the world is yours are to me superior tracks. Even thought biggie dominated ny charts and was respected by street cats and evrybody was feelin him, nas mobbe deep and wu were thoses who really resonated with the street audience and captured ny grittyness the most

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

Juicy and unbelievabe were great songs and great singles but it ain't hard to tell and the world is yours are to me superior tracks. Even thought biggie dominated ny charts and was respected by street cats and evrybody was feelin him, nas mobbe deep and wu were thoses who really resonated with the street audience and captured ny grittyness the most

I don't know about that fam. Late 94 into 95 was Biggie bruh. He dominated the streets & radio play. Big literally became the face of hiphop when he dropped. I've never seen anything like that till this day. That article stressed how tough that was because you had MOB dropping, Wu Tang was hot, & out on the west coast they were poppin.

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
Great album from beginning to end :wow:

Easy Mo Bee laced him with something serious :banderas:

East Coast need to bring that sample game back :to: