READY TO LIVE: The "Ready To Die" 20th Anniversary Thread

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Nas dropped in the heart of the fugees run

What and that run dried up by 97? Like Carnival, ghetto superstar as a single and Miseducation werent big? Man please lol
Nas blew up cause he had a body of work behind him, not just a single. Other dudes had big singles (AZ with Sugar Hill) but never translated in albums.

I get you dont like Nas and Nas stans but only coming into a thread about a great album to shyt on another one is bush league

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
What and that run dried up by 97? Like Carnival, ghetto superstar as a single and Miseducation werent big? Man please lol
Nas blew up cause he had a body of work behind him, not just a single. Other dudes had big singles (AZ with Sugar Hill) but never translated in albums.

I get you dont like Nas and Nas stans but only coming into a thread about a great album to shyt on another one is bush league

Singles from The Score
  1. "Fu-Gee-La"
    Released: January 9, 1996
  2. "Killing Me Softly"
    Released: May 31, 1996
  3. "Ready or Not"
    Released: September 2, 1996
  4. "No Woman, No Cry"
    Released: December 5, 1996
"If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)"
Released: May 28, 1996

Common's single came out in july 97'.

Singles from The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
  1. "Doo Wop (That Thing)"
    Released: July 7, 1998
  2. "Ex-Factor"
    Released: December 8, 1998
  3. "Everything Is Everything"
    Released: May 4, 1999
See the difference?

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Singles from The Score
  1. "Fu-Gee-La"
    Released: January 9, 1996
  2. "Killing Me Softly"
    Released: May 31, 1996
  3. "Ready or Not"
    Released: September 2, 1996
  4. "No Woman, No Cry"
    Released: December 5, 1996
"If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)"
Released: May 28, 1996

Common's single came out in july 97'.

Singles from The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
  1. "Doo Wop (That Thing)"
    Released: July 7, 1998
  2. "Ex-Factor"
    Released: December 8, 1998
  3. "Everything Is Everything"
    Released: May 4, 1999
See the difference?
:what: No

Because what there was a year in between everything was quiet?

Wyclef released the Carnival in that time and Lauryn had 2 singles in 97 remember, so they were still going.

Lauryn was a help on that single but Nas was Nas on that.

I used to think If I Ruled the World was a chart busting single but when I look back on the charts of that year, his biggest single was I Can (and bizzarrely enough Hip Hop is Dead which shocked the shyt out of me and made no sense) so he's never been as assisted an artist as people like to make.

He had a radio single ready and Hot 97 and all tri state were ready to roll with him and he was doing remixes for others very soon after that.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
:what: No

Because what there was a year in between everything was quiet?

Wyclef released the Carnival in that time and Lauryn had 2 singles in 97 remember, so they were still going.

Lauryn was a help on that single but Nas was Nas on that.

I used to think If I Ruled the World was a chart busting single but when I look back on the charts of that year, his biggest single was I Can (and bizzarrely enough Hip Hop is Dead which shocked the shyt out of me and made no sense) so he's never been as assisted an artist as people like to make.

He had a radio single ready and Hot 97 and all tri state were ready to roll with him and he was doing remixes for others very soon after that.
Huh

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN

If I ruled the World is not Nas biggest single, in fact bizarrely enough some books and record dont have it in the overall top 20 or 50 for that year but I Can was for 2003.

I Can is actually Nas biggest single going just by chart stats. I know, it seems fukking weird because I was always under the impression the other song was because I remember it crossing over in around the world and in NYC but actually it had just black radio support

Its also one of the reasons why Rick Ross is one of those dudes in recent years that has had HUGE singles in Hip Hop but they've never charted in the top 20 of overall singles.

One more reason why what the 50 Cents, Lil Waynes and Drakes have done can be seen as impressive or not all that relevant given how the mainstream charts treat rap overall.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
NaS admitted "Ready To Die" made him switch his style up. Give credit where credit is due. Biggie also reminded NaS of that on "Kick in the Door":

"N!ggas used to be on cruddy sh!t took home, "Ready To Die", Listen study sh!t, now they on some Money shyt"

And on "What's Beef":

"N!ggas grimey in the early 90's far behind me, It Ain't Hard To FIND ME"

Ohh The "ILLmatic Vs Ready To Die" debate. It's like Prince Vs Michael Jackson of Hip Hop debates, lol. Biggie had his ear to the street so of course he heard and liked "ILLmatic". As I posted he felt at The Source Awards he wouldn't win Lyricist of the Year cause of "ILLmatic". There are shades of "ILLmatic" on "Ready To Die" as far as Biggie painting an atmosphere of Brooklyn in the same Way NaS did for Queenbridge. "Things Dun Change" definitely compliments "New York State of Mind". But outside of that they are different albums with different feels and moods. NaS never even attempted to make a club record on "ILLmatic". And the closet thing to commercial on the album was Michael Jackson "Human Nature" sample even though the song was hard. Both have 1 rap feature where both shined, AZ on "Life's a bytch" and Method Man on "The What". Both had great production but "Ready To Die" had just a little something more that made it appeal a little more. I was very happy with the 20th Celebration of "ILLmatic" cause I felt like NaS finally got the credit he deserved cause in 94 the album didn't get it's credit from the masses. With that said Biggie album was an instant impact and had an instant effect on Hip Hop. I think "ILLmatic" is the perfect album but Biggie was consistant over even more songs. I feel their equal but I wouldn't be mad at someone liking "ILLmatic" more. Too Bad the "Gimmie The Loot DJ PREMIER REMIX" featuring NaS didn't happen. NaS did rap with Biggie on "Born Again" on a remix of "Everyday Struggle" which he said was his favorite song on "Ready To Die":

tumblr_manjbayHzv1r94h9do1_500.jpg

(Biggie and NaS in the studio planning out the rumored "Gimme The Loot" Remix produced by DJ Premier. NaS never came back to do his verse)

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
NaS admitted "Ready To Die" made him switch his style up. Give credit where credit is due. Biggie also reminded NaS of that on "Kick in the Door":

"N!ggas used to be on cruddy sh!t took home, "Ready To Die", Listen study sh!t, now they on some Money shyt"

And on "What's Beef":

"N!ggas grimey in the early 90's far behind me, It Ain't Hard To FIND ME"

Ohh The "ILLmatic Vs Ready To Die" debate. It's like Prince Vs Michael Jackson of Hip Hop debates, lol. Biggie had his ear to the street so of course he heard and liked "ILLmatic". As I posted he felt at The Source Awards he wouldn't win Lyricist of the Year cause of "ILLmatic". There are shades of "ILLmatic" on "Ready To Die" as far as Biggie painting an atmosphere of Brooklyn in the same Way NaS did for Queenbridge. "Things Dun Change" definitely compliments "New York State of Mind". But outside of that they are different albums with different feels and moods. NaS never even attempted to make a club record on "ILLmatic". And the closet thing to commercial on the album was Michael Jackson "Human Nature" sample even though the song was hard. Both have 1 rap feature where both shined, AZ on "Life's a bytch" and Method Man on "The What". Both had great production but "Ready To Die" had just a little something more that made it appeal a little more. I was very happy with the 20th Celebration of "ILLmatic" cause I felt like NaS finally got the credit he deserved cause in 94 the album didn't get it's credit from the masses. With that said Biggie album was an instant impact and had an instant effect on Hip Hop. I think "ILLmatic" is the perfect album but Biggie was consistant over even more songs. I feel their equal but I wouldn't be mad at someone liking "ILLmatic" more. Too Bad the "Gimmie The Loot DJ PREMIER REMIX" featuring NaS didn't happen. NaS did rap with Biggie on "Born Again" on a remix of "Everyday Struggle" which he said was his favorite song on "Ready To Die":

tumblr_manjbayHzv1r94h9do1_500.jpg

(Biggie and NaS in the studio planning out the rumored "Gimme The Loot" Remix produced by DJ Premier. NaS never came back to do his verse)

No,rtd is superior. Illmatic is a microcosm of what rtd is. Rtd changed the game and put the ball back in ny's hands. Also illmatic would be like big having a album full of things donbe changed and machine gun funk's and redoing then 4 x's a piece. Instead rtd is a very diverse album with superior performaces and production

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
No,rtd is superior. Illmatic is a microcosm of what rtd is. Rtd changed the game and put the ball back in ny's hands. Also illmatic would be like big having a album full of things donbe changed and machine gun funk's and redoing then 4 x's a piece. Instead rtd is a very diverse album with superior performaces and production

Superior? Debateable. Well what "ILLmatic" has going for it is it really has no flaws. You could throw rocks at the "Ready To Die" skits as the Source Did but I felt the Skits added to the storytelling of the album and the transitions between songs. When you say "Microcosm" I think you mean how "Ready To Die" expanded outside of New York streets and made it's way around America. Yes it's the more popular album, that's not debatable but that doesn't automatically make it better than "ILLmatic". "ILLmatic" is Street Hop at it's purest form. "Ready To Die" whole purpose was to go beyond Street Hop to something else. Lyrically NaS was just too sharp. Biggie Lyricism was iconic too no doubt but I'd give NaS the slight edge. Production is wash cause both albums not only shared producers but had great production. I think Biggie did try to make more broader and variety STYLE of tracks than NaS did. NaS looked to make a New York Classic and he did. "Ready To Die" though had sounds from the West as well as the East. Shoot there was even a Jamaican song on the album. So I think "Ready To Die" is the more versitle album. Biggie expanded that formula on "Life After Death". NaS started to use the formula on "It Was Written". NaS moved away from what he did on "ILLmatic" and moved closer to what Big was doing on "Ready To Die".

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He steps off the elevator with his bodyguards. He's got on a mink coat, dripping jewels, sunglasses. Looks at everybody. Goes to his office. Gets something to drink. I don't know, some juice. He's an apple-juice fiend. Keeps us waiting another five minutes, comes back, sits down, and looks at the room and says, "Y'all are mad as fukk, ain't you?" We know he's got bonus checks, so nobody's saying shyt. And reading the room, he's like, "You see me sitting here with my fur and all of that and you like, 'fukk Puff.' But you know what? I dare one of y'all to come get it. I dare one of you to work harder than me. To come get what I got."

He launches into this Gordon Gekko-like sermon, like, "I come in here and work harder than you in the day, then go to the club and work. You think I'm in the club getting drunk? I'm looking at who's dancing to what, figuring out which song is working in what way, which DJ is making it hot. Tell me who's doing that more than me?"

I was just sitting there like, Holy shyt. Who he is hit me. He sleeps no more than four hours a night. And every waking hour, he's figuring out how to make more money.

I've always said he's the greediest and most driven person I've ever met—like, his greed is disgusting. Too much is never enough. But he's got a motivation and a drive that can match that greed. And when those two meet, it's magic. Biggie happens. Mase happens. He happens.

I'm sorry but ever word in this statement above sounds like a Chappelle skit :mjlol:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
tumblr_mtyqn9XLrD1svefdfo1_500.jpg

THE ALBUM COVER: Never in hip hop history as an album cover become so controversial yet Legendary at the same time. When "Ready To Die" Artwork showed a young baby with a huge afro in diapers. Many speculated if it was Biggie himself or his daughter. Regardless the cover has become one of the most Legendary covers ever and has joined Nirvana's "Nevermind" as one of the most famous Baby album covers. The cover actually goes along with the theme of the album which starts with Biggie's Birth.

A Year after it's release out of nowhere Biggie was blind sided by a diss from Wu Tang's Reakwon and Ghostface accusing him of copying NaS's "ILLmatic" cover. Though the covers really don't look a like at the time people again though it was Biggie's baby picture so they said he was coping NaS cause NaS used a young picture of himself.

Illmatic_Album_Cover_Comparison.jpg

(It was later reviled that NaS's Legendary cover was likely influenced by his Jazz album cover)

Well 3 Years ago the "Ready To Die" Baby came forward. Come to find out Puffy used a child modeling agency to find the kid.

iy5k88qpgofj804qif0j.jpg

images

http://on.aol.com/video/notorious-bigs-ready-to-die-kid-grows-up-517131884

Keithroy Yearwood is the famous Afro Baby on the cover. He's now 21 years old and he's from the Bronx. 20 years later the album cover is one of the most iconic in Hip Hop History spanning posters and T-shirts:

Nothing_Was_the_Same_cover_1.png

(Drake's platinum selling 3rd album "Nothing was the same" album cover was heavily influenced by "Ready To Die)

NotoriousOneFR.jpg

(The Baby was also featured on the "One More Chance" Single cover)

3040622.jpg

(During the 10th Anniversary, Puffy released a remastered version and changed the cover from White backdrop to Black)

Keithroy-Yearwood-Ready-To-Die1.jpg

tumblr_lyvvwetVXr1r94h9do1_500.png

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
biggiea1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Shot_Ya?

(Tupac felt "Who Shot Ya?" was disrespectful to him getting shot since Biggie and Puffy were at the scene and Biggie didn't warn him. Both have stated the song was recorded before he was shot and they had nothing to do with his shooting. Years Later it was reviled Jimmy Henchmen was involved in the shooting and Puffy and Biggie weren't involved though they were at the scene)

THE LEGEND OF "WHO SHOT YA?":
The "Ready To Die" B-Side underground song "Who Shot Ya" ended up becoming one of the biggest underground rap songs of all time. It also help to anger and sour the relationship between Biggie and Tupac Shakur.

BiggieSmalls_KeithMurray.jpg

(The original was actually an interlude on "Mary J Blige" "My Life" album and was featured Keith Murray.)

Because of Biggie's viscous bars on the song, Puffy felt it was a little to hard for an RnB album. So he took Biggie off and only kept Keith's Verse. Not even a week after the release of her album Tupac was shot at Quad Studios where Biggie, Puffy and Junior Mafia were recording "Playa's Anthem". While Pac was in Jail, A song titled "Who Shot Ya" was burning up the streets. Puffy and Biggie reworked the original song and added a verse while taking Keith Murray off the song. They added Faith on background vocals and pressed up the song as a B-side to the Platinum selling "Big Poppa" single. While in Jail Pac was furious as the streets were speculating the song was about him. Some of the lyrics could even be interpted as talking about Pac's situation including the ending where Biggie said:

You'll die slow but calm
Recognize my face, so there won't be no mistake
So you know where to tell Jake, lame nikka
Brave nikka, turned front page nikka

Biggie also made reference to Wu Tang's classic "C.R.E.A.M." on the song. With the success of the song underground and in the mainstream being on the "Big Poppa Single". The song took on a life of it's own. It is now one of the most Legendary Underground songs of all time. Many rappers from Jay Z to DMX have freestyled over the beat. Mobb Deep, Lil Kim and LL Cool J all made illusions to the songs on these tracks:

Jay Z - Who Shot Ya Freestyle featuring DJ Clue and Puffy

DMX - Who Shot Ya Freestyle

Canibus - Who Shot Ya Freestyle

Mos Def - Brooklyn (Who Shot Ya Freestyle at the end)

(Freestyling over "Who Shot Ya" has become a right of passage for many rappers wanting to show their Lyrical Skills)

"I Shot Ya" Remix LL COOL J featuring Keith Murray, Prodigy, Fat Joe and Foxy Brown

(Though LL had denied it, "I Shot Ya" clearly is a spiritual successor to "Who Shot Ya". There is even a piano beat to match and the appearance of Keith Murray who was on the original. Certain lyrics can be interpeted as going at Pac including the title where LL changes Biggie's "WHO" to "I")

Mobb Deep - Drop a Gem On Em

(After Pac went head on against Mobb Deep on the classic diss "Hit Em Up", the Queensbridge duo retured fire on "Drop a Gem On Em". Both verses were going at Pac but it was Prodigy who made reference to "Who Shot Ya?" in his verse.)

biggie-mobb.jpg

Lil Kim featuring Lil Cease - Big Momma Thang (Original Version)

(After "Hit Em Up" Lil Kim was upset at being name dropped by Tupac. Without Biggie's permission she recorded a scatching Diss record to Tupac and Faith. Once Biggie heard it he immediately made her change the lyrics. This version was buried underground after Pac's death but ended up leaking some years go. Lil Kim makes direct reference to Pac's shooting and also makes reference to "Who Shot Ya")

It's amazing how a B-SIDE song blew up that big. Only Biggie could do that.

Last edited: