READY TO LIVE: The "Ready To Die" 20th Anniversary Thread

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
That was nice of him but RTD was more influenced by heavy d (the flow),the west coast (obvious samples on the singles) 2pac "rap for the bytches" (also,more straight to the point lyrics vs monkey flip em rhymes)

The Big Poppa, One More Chance aspects of it for sure. The Everyday Struggle, Things Done Changed and of course Unbelievable type clearly, you can feel Illmatic influence

But hey, guess that's why Ilmatic is seen as the more pure example of a NY product:yeshrug: hence why the influence was always there

Its a pointless thing to bring up, because I really fukks with Ready to Die and got no problem if people wanna like it over Illmatic, Chronic or any album from that era, its a classic masterpiece unto its own (more than LAD in some respects). But when people go out of their way to shyt or dismiss one classic for the the other is always :mjlol: to me. Especially when its usually the " Illmatic didnt blow up in Texas in 94" type arguments or some shyt

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The only reason "Ready To Die" didn't get 5 MICS is cause the SOURCE had a stupid rule about not giving out more than one 5 in the same year. I mean they just gave "ILLmatic" 5 four month's eariler. They were like "Are we really going to give another album 5?" So they blamed the skits for taking .5 mics away, lol. We all know "ILLmatic" and "Ready To Die" are 5's, No question. Of course in 2003 in their "REVISED MIC" edition, the tried to correct their sins:

biggie_source1094.jpg

Last edited:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I found out about this late. There will be a panel discussion about the album tomorrow in Brooklyn

BRIC and NPR Music will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Ready to Die album with a panel conversation between people who worked with and knew Biggie well, hosted by Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Frannie Kelley, cohosts of the Microphone Check podcast.
Taking place just blocks from where Biggie grew up, bagged groceries, hustled and freestyled on Fulton Street, Music writer dream hampton; Matty C, influential 90s Source magazine columnist who first brought B.I.G. to Puff Daddy’s attention; and the jazz musician who was a music tutor to Biggie, Donald Harrison, Jr. will share new and little known stories about the album, and offer their perspectives on New York City, hip-hop culture and the music industry in the early ‘90s.
The panel discussion will be recorded for an upcoming episode of Microphone Check, and video from the evening will air on BRIC’s Brooklyn Independent Media public access station Wednesday, September 17 at 8PM ET and Midnight (re-airing Saturday, September 20, at 8PM ET and Midnight).

nprmusic-miccheck-big-fin-socsquare_sq-d040bcdf300a52d13e24abf26865200916eae739-s40-c85.jpg

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I've heard Info talk about Illmatic and the debate about whether or not to give that 5 mics but never Ready to Die. Ready to Die in some respect was an album who's impact was going to be felt later to many. Because it wasnt as pure a product there was a chance people would have dimissed the commerical records but it was tribute to BIG that he handled it as well as he did
Lol RTD's ipmact happened in real time. Illmatic is the myth. RTD really changed ny's position during it's run of singles. Pure? wtf

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Lol RTD's ipmact happened in real time. Illmatic is the myth. RTD really changed ny's position during it's run of singles. Pure? wtf

First RTD success was based on 2pac influence and Illmatic's impact was a myth because you didnt see it.in your region:skip:

Keep it real you was one of them JNCO jean wearing, "I fukks with West Coast only" type kids in the 90s werent you. :shaq:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
First RTD success was based on 2pac influence and Illmatic's impact was a myth because you didnt see it.in your region:skip:

Keep it real you was one of them JNCO jean wearing, "I fukks with West Coast only" type kids in the 90s werent you. :shaq:
Naw we played everything from everywhere. And we had illmatic in our household in 94' and all them frontline wu solos. Pete rock cl smooth,you name it. Illmatic wasnt popular though

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Naw we played everything from everywhere. And we had illmatic in our household in 94' and all them frontline wu solos. Pete rock cl smooth,you name it. Illmatic wasnt popular though

If you was playing CL and Pete Rock then the album that got 5 mics with those producers should have got attention of most, miss me with that pre-internet bubble perspective. Was there other more visible East Coast acts at the time between 94-95 era? Yes absolutely. Back then it aint like we were all playing just one or two albums but people felt that album especially in NY and was partly why the second album became as big and anticipated as it was.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
If you was playing CL and Pete Rock then the album that got 5 mics with those producers should have got attention of most, miss me with that pre-internet bubble perspective. Was there other more visible East Coast acts at the time between 94-95 era? Yes absolutely. Back then it aint like we were all playing just one or two albums but people felt that album especially in NY and was partly why the second album became as big and anticipated as it was.
LOL,but it wasnt better. Names dont mean it had the best beats or was the better album. I agree the faux illmatic buzz helped attention for It was written. But no lauryn feature and nas flops again,trust me on that

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
LOL,but it wasnt better. Names dont mean it had the best beats or was the better album. I agree the faux illmatic buzz helped attention for It was written. But no lauryn feature and nas flops again,trust me on that
Word breh that's why Common went triple-plat when he had Lauryn on his single for One Day it Will All Make Sense too right? :mjlol:

The biggest strength of Illmatic was that it was a gem that grew and more people outside of NY got to learn from about as the weeks, months and years went by . I mean shyt, its 2014 and there's youngsters on tumblr still coming into contact with how great that album was. Thing about some of the other artist who's seminal work is forgotten and not appreciated from that era, then look at what Illmatic did. If people in NY felt it and they know better than anyone what handful albums brought NY back, that's as obvious an indication in itself.

Both albums impacted different areas of East Coast rap and birth renaissance movement. My bad your cassette collection wasnt up with all goodness in 94 :mjpls:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
THE PRODUCERS: Biggie's lyrics, flow and rhyme style had listener's at every bar. But what about his musical landcapes?. "Ready To Die" had a list of really good producers who helped make it one of the most Legendary Albums.

83854671.jpg

PUFF DADDY: He was the mastermind that brought it all together. He helped bring a Raw Biggie to the masses. He's credited as Executive Producer of the album and Co-Producer on 6 tracks. After working on Mary J Blige and Jodeci's albums. Puffy ear for hit songs and music was perfect for Biggie's raw and uncut rhymes. Puffy was Biggie's guide to top and together they made Magic.

2fbff31c141251ab6be3d26bd421df15.jpg

EASY MO BEE: Puffy may have brought the Legendary project together but it was Easy Mo Bee's SOUND that defined the tone and mood of the album. Producer on 6 tracks including Classics like "Warning, Gimmie the Loot and The What". Easy Mo Bee brought Classic Jazz influenced Boom Bap sound to album. This is one of the reasons that the album appeals to older Hip Hop fans of Classic 80's Hip Hop cause of the sound. The Chemistry Biggie and Mo Bee was clearly the highlight of the album. He also produced 3 other unreleased "Ready To Die" songs that were left off the album.

ff5cfb190da9370d830f080b3082eaa4.jpg

(Check out this great mixtape with Biggie over Premo)

DJ PREMIER: Though he only had 1 track on this album. He made sure it was Legendary. "Unbelieveable" was exactly the type of track that made Biggie an Underground Legend. A raw track that was made for the hood and streets. Premo even gives Biggie credit for giving him the idea for sampling R. Kelly's voice. Premo stated because this was the B-side to "Juicy" single. He was awarded his 1st Gold plaque for working with Biggie. Premo did end updoing a "Machine Gun Funk" remix.

tumblr_lqd4b5LHTo1qew247o1_500.jpg

LORD FINESSE: The album closer "Sucidial Thoughts" put a stamp on this being a Classic Album. Born from D.I.T.C. Fame. Biggie and Lord worked well together. I forgot to mention in my "Left Off" tracks was the Lord Finesse produced "Come On" featuring Sadat X. It was later remixed on "Born Again". The beat for "Sucidial Thoughts" only accented Big's Haunting Words.

a14105_447d7399f55e4bd486082adba3a9ee8a.jpg_srz_363_443_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

CHUCKY THOMPSON: Knows as a premier instrumentalist in the Hip Hop World. Chucky musical skills can be found on the stand out track "Big Poppa". He also worked on the original "One More Chance".

The Bluez Brothers: These guys ended up having 3 songs on the album inlcuding the Classics "Everyday Struggle" and "Me and My B!tch". Their ear for samples really helped make some Classic Biggie records.

xhupvbe1wjth3cqwf3qi.jpg

TRACKMASTERS (POKE): The album's breakout single "Juicy" was made by Poke of the Trackmasters. He also worked on the Diana King featured "Respect".

PeteRock1.jpg

PETE ROCK: Rumors are he gave Puffy the original idea to sample "Juicy". He is credit with doing the remix on the single.

DARRELL SCOTT: He only had 1 credit on the album and it was a Big one. He produced "Things Dun Change" that gave you a haunting picture of those Brooklyn Streets.

NASHIEM MAVRICK: Before he produced Classics for Biggie on "Life After Death". He helped in crafting one of the most legendary underground records ever. "Who Shot Ya".

A-101845-1266955218.jpeg.jpg

RASHAD SMITH: One of the early Hitmen. He helped produce "Dreams" and "One More Chance".

tumblr_n0yr528gIV1sqvqbno1_1280.jpg

JERMINE DUPRI: As mentioned in the Features section he produced "Big Poppa So So Def Remix". But during "Ready To Die's" reign he did another Biggie song where he rapped and Da Brat was featured. It was on the "Bad Boys" soundtrack called "Da B Side" .

This is a very well produced album. I will forever love that 90's DUSTY sound. Legendary Hip Hop. The samples were great too.

Samples
Intro

Things Done Changed

Gimme the Loot

Machine Gun Funk

Warning

Ready to Die

One More Chance

fukk Me

The What

Juicy

Everyday Struggle

Big Poppa

Respect

Friend of Mine

Unbelievable

Suicidal Thoughts

• "Lonely Fire" by Miles Davis
  • "Outside Love" by Brethren
Who Shot Ya?

Just Playing (Dreams)

Last edited:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Word breh that's why Common went triple-plat when he had Lauryn on his single for One Day it Will All Make Sense too right? :mjlol:

The biggest strength of Illmatic was that it was a gem that grew and more people outside of NY got to learn from about as the weeks, months and years went by . I mean shyt, its 2014 and there's youngsters on tumblr still coming into contact with how great that album was. Thing about some of the other artist who's seminal work is forgotten and not appreciated from that era, then look at what Illmatic did. If people in NY felt it and they know better than anyone what handful albums brought NY back, that's as obvious an indication in itself.

Both albums impacted different areas of East Coast rap and birth renaissance movement. My bad your cassette collection wasnt up with all goodness in 94 :mjpls:
Nas dropped in the heart of the fugees run