Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So in the decades of this debate being had, what it comes down to is music IS the primary cause of most of the problems/recklessness/lack of moral center/rebelliousness associated with youth? Pick a generation, pick a new genre favored by the youth and you will see the same arguments being had.

Literally every generation. Even Jazz and Blues. Lol

People who make the claims also need to show the direct correlation between the music and the violence. All that ever gets posted are videos from newer artists with a post that's "look, see I told you".

Prime example of the surface level "Hip Hop made them do it" mentality on here and then claiming that Hip Hop is anti-Black by posting a video of a rapper saying he was Aryan is as ignorant as the lyric that was quoted. Why? It ignores the fact that Cube and other MC's in previous eras invoked KKK imagery to invoke violence, but Cube is not an anti-Black MC. Calling him that would ignore the other aspects of his music.

Look at these charts:
Black-Individual-Income-Truman-to-Trump-1.png

Black-Household-Income-1967-to-2018-.png

black-high-school-attainment-nearly-on-par-with-national-average-figure-04.jpg

Then this chart:
b8n5vV.md.png

^This shows that the homicide rates for sub-25 y.o. black men were actually HIGHER in the 2000s (where this data stops) than they were in all of the 70s and through most of the 80s. That is significant because the charts prior show that black people got more educated and wealthier over that same time period. That just shouldn't be.

It points to something else going on because economic situations and access to education are usually drivers of violence & crime.

Also, just look at the disparity in these numbers brehs.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look at these charts:
Black-Individual-Income-Truman-to-Trump-1.png

Black-Household-Income-1967-to-2018-.png

black-high-school-attainment-nearly-on-par-with-national-average-figure-04.jpg

Then this chart:
b8n5vV.md.png

^This shows that the homicide rates for sub-25 y.o. black men were actually HIGHER in the 2000s (where this data stops) than they were in all of the 70s and through most of the 80s. That is significant because the charts prior show that black people got more educated and wealthier over that same time period. That just shouldn't be.

It points to something else going on because economic situations and access to education are usually drivers of violence & crime.

Also, just look at the disparity in these numbers brehs.

If I am reading the data correctly,

1) Black males 25+ were getting killed at a rate 100 per 100K from 1975-1980. This was the peak.

2) The rate at which Black males 25+ were being killed in 2000-2005 was below 50 per 100,000. This was at at its lowest.

Someone correct me if I am reading this wrong.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL

1) Black males 25+ were getting killed at a rate 100 per 100K from 1975-1980. This was the peak.

2) The rate at which Black males 25+ were being killed in 2000-2005 was below 50 per 100,000. This was at at its lowest.

You're not, but you don't get to 25+ if you're murdered at 18, 21, 24...which is what I'm pointing out. The rates of homicides for black men under the age of 25 were actually higher in the early 2000s (most recent data shown) than vs. the 70s and 80s. That is highly abnormal.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

That's what I see too. Which correlates to what we've been saying.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's what I see too. Which correlates to what we've been saying.

Look at the rates in blue & red on the chart. Those are black men younger than 25. Their homicide rates are higher more recently than they were in the 70s & 80s. How is that not damning of something else going on?

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
You're not, but you don't get to 25+ if you're murdered at 18, 21, 24...which is what I'm pointing out. The rates of homicides for black men under the age of 25 were actually higher in the early 2000s (most recent data shown) than vs. the 70s and 80s. That is highly abnormal.
Why are you comparing 2 different demos though? Under 25 peaked in the 90s, 25 were higher in the 70s, and under 18 peaked in the 90s. Why would I compare 25+ rate to under 25 at a different time period? No matter how you look at it, the numbers were higher in the 90s

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Breh, you can't bend and tweak these stats to your liking. Reading the stats and extracting the data is pretty straight forward.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Look at the rates in blue & red on the chart. Those are black men younger than 25. Their homicide rates are higher more recently than they were in the 70s & 80s. How is that not damning of something else going on?

You look at individual numbers. Blue 18-24 yr numbers peaked in the 90s. Red 14-17yo peaked in the 90s, 25+ peaked in the 70s. Me comparing the number of 18-24 now to 25+ earlier is irrelevant to this discussion.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
You a clown and anybody that agrees with you is a clown.
You keep going around with these clear tongue and cheek PUNCHLINES. Metaphors. Examples of black language arts and trying to make these small jokes evidence for Anit blackness from our ENTIRE CULTURE AND ART.
You are brainwashed by crackers.

"Black language arts"
:mjlol:

This guy is using a metaphor that called for claiming membership in a Black hate group (Aryan nation) while invoking a whole other hate group to strengthen his point (KKK) and you call it "Black language arts"

A lot of are so beyond lost that it's hard to be upset about it at this point.

This is so unmistakably anti-Black and you're STILL defending it and calling ME the brainwashed person for noticing it.

:wow:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
"Black language arts"
:mjlol:

This guy is using a metaphor that called for claiming membership in a Black hate group (Aryan nation) while invoking a whole other hate group to strengthen his point (KKK) and you call it "Black language arts"

A lot of are so beyond lost that it's hard to be upset about it at this point.

This is so unmistakably anti-Black and you're STILL defending it and calling ME the brainwashed person for noticing it.

:wow:
You don’t know what anti black is

nightpupil

ElderzInMegaHallz
Daps
I wish i had a better book list, I got some books that's official. But I'm going to have to better decipher the other books I have or just see the bullshyt they spew. I have so many books now and don't feel like reading any of them right now anyway though.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
People bringing up crime stats from the 70s-80s and then saying "SEE!!! Crime dropped in the 90s when gangsta rap was at it's peak!!!" :skip:

Conveniently ignoring the context of the crime bill and war on drugs that locked up large numbers of black men and took them off the streets for decades during that time period.

:skip:
:comeon: if the so called poisonous rap was still around “influencing kids to be violent” the crime rate shouldn’t have dropped that precipitously as the influence (rap) was still there growing in fact AND the audience (black kids) we’re still on the streets by the millions …that drop wasn’t some 1 year fluke we’re talking about a decades long trend …plenty of time for the “poison” to seep in and make an impact

So either this so called poison isn't as impactful as nikkas are trying to claim it is or we’re going to deny the reality of the statistics … either way nikkas need to probably reevaluate the dedication to these tired ass stances

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
People bringing up crime stats from the 70s-80s and then saying "SEE!!! Crime dropped in the 90s when gangsta rap was at it's peak!!!" :skip:

Conveniently ignoring the context of the crime bill and war on drugs that locked up large numbers of black men and took them off the streets for decades during that time period.

:skip:

Gangsta rap decreased crimes :troll: