Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Breh's grew up listening to Mobb Deep detail how they would murder people with their own body parts. We heard Pac diss several artists and talk about how he was going to kill them. Snoop made "Murder Was The Case" while being on trial for murder. Eminem rapped about killing his own mother and baby mother and had the body in the trunk on an album cover. I could go on. A lot of us grew up to this music and enjoyed it. How many of us are murderers?

To be frank, the stuff you're bringing up is mostly lies. Or fiction. Or whatever you like to think of it as.

These new niqqas commit crimes and then write a non fiction account of the crime.

What's most disheartening about it: in the 90s niqqas was at war over drug blocks. Or robbing other dealers. Basically money was on the line.

Now they just kill each other because they are from different parts of town. Not even like across town. Just down the street and around the corner.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To be frank, the stuff you're bringing up is mostly lies. Or fiction. Or whatever you like to think of it as.

These new niqqas commit crimes and then write a non fiction account of the crime.

What's most disheartening about it: in the 90s niqqas was at war over drug blocks. Or robbing other dealers. Basically money was on the line.

Now they just kill each other because they are from different parts of town. Not even like across town. Just down the street and around the corner.

When we were children, did it matter whether it was a fictional account especially when rappers were airing out personal beefs with each other.

And these days, most of the accounts are still fictional.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

Philly has always been like that. Each block/corner is it's own clique. 2 Blocks down is practically a different hood...even though it's not. NY is damn sure like that. I'm sure other a lot of major cities are like that, hence why people shout out Avenues/Street names.

You right. Can’t argue with that. But at the same time we wasn’t watching dudes making videos on the graves of their opps. We wasn’t hearing dudes makes songs listing all the people they killed or they gang killed. The standards of decency continued to devolve.
LA, LA video, CNN kidnap DPG, stuff them in a trunk, torture them and throw them off QB. Even if CNN was unknown as felons, Tragedy definitely was. G Rap murdered dudes in their cars in the On the Run video. Not to mention all of the real guns that were shown in videos...later blurred out. Dudes were murdering snitches,

Hell, 80's were so bad we had to have the rappers come do Self-Destruction & All in the Same Gang. And they still did Same Gang video separately. At least Self Destruction had people in same shots.

And slowly, people on this board have turned into C Delores Tucker. So, like myself and others have said - Y'all are saying she was right...matter of fact, they ALL were right.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
i have never blamed rap music, rap music creates a negative feedback loop with the street element of black culture, but the street/hood element is clearly the root issue
I just don’t get how the debate can be anything other than this?

Rap is an echo

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The music is real negative lately and does have a negative influence. Plenty of people have lost lives over drugs they may have never taken or words that music hyped them up to say. Still to me the bigger issue is guns. Look no further than school shootings. It’s so common place now that school shootings are no longer even a top news story. Most schools now have active shooter drills. We have to worry about white boys in army jackets running into crowded areas acting like they In call of duty. The availability of not just weapons but high caliber bullets, extendo clips and lax laws is the perfect storm. Rap won’t solve that. Making more positive music won’t stop that. You don’t cure a disease by treating the symptoms. Problem is there’s no cure to the disease of guns in this country.
Your larger point is correct. What you said about drugs is off base

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Even in the beginning of hip hop. Rappers wanted to be like the street nikkas and not the other way around. The street nikkas and hustlers was the cool ones and the ones who had clout, Money and girls. Rap wasn’t making money like that yet. Once the street nikkas realized rap was a legit tool to make legal money. It took a lot of otherwise lost brothas off the streets. Who otherwise had no way out. This hip hop shyt has saved ALOT of lives. Yet people continue blaming it for the loss of life. Go ask anyone who can tell u what the streets was like before hip hop became a big deal. Let them tell u the horror stories.

Hmmmm...

Your opening statement honestly is all genres of music in the inception. Jazz and Cotton Club era with Count Basie, Louis, Dizzy, Ella..etc...brought the gangsters around. Sinatra brought the mobsters out. I remember watching the Whispers unsung where they said Pimps and hustlers were their friends. Lol

So yea, Im inclined to agree that any music that was popular in a specific time frame street guys liked to hang around celebrities. However, the music and content wasnt shaping a look, a culture, no gun flashing or talk like todays hip hop.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
all types of entertainment can be harmful to a fool

the issue is unfortunately many individuals are emerging from less than ideal homes

they simply aren't wired to navigate life with intelligence reason or sense..........

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I don’t see how. Plenty of kids are drinking lean and overdosed from it because music made it popular. I do think music has an effect on drug use.
No they’re not

Humans have been experimenting with drugs since the beginning of time.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
No they’re not

Humans have been experimenting with drugs since the beginning of time.

I agree that humans have always used drugs. Still I contend that music has an influence on drug use. In the 60s it influenced people to experiment with psychedelics. In the 80s it encourages coke use. In the 90s a 40 and a blunt was all we wanted. In the 2000s it was E. In 2010s it’s lean.

nightpupil

ElderzInMegaHallz
Daps
Awhile back I was reading a book called Gangster Warlords. I only read the first 3 chapters had to do other things. But it is insightful to this discussion what I did learn. Basically, it says the way of war has been changing for quite some time in the America's. (Even suggests a book to read on the deeper aspects of the subject) Traditional war has been changing over the America's into Gansters and Warlords. What you see in America is just half the puzzle of what's going on in Latin America and the Caribbean's and even spilling into Canada. If you look all across the Americas, you see the same patterns of gang culture that you don't see as much in other countries. Do you see people in Africa fighting in gangs, prob not as much?? They still have traditional wars where they put young children to fight and what not, but it is not gang related. When is the last time the Americas has fought with each other?? I don't know but look that up, probably a long time ago. It tells a story of Mexicans having a farm in lower Texas next to the border and they were getting rid of 500 body parts with acid. North America does not even see half the issues Latin America sees. It all has to do with life's social ills and resources. Why America's is different I don't know. But not no fukking rap music. lol. Remember theres always a bigger picture.

a3Yduwh.jpg