Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
:what: nikka the thread is called Raps contribution to violence. nikkas bringing up murder rates and crime stats. Ur being disingenuous as fukk. And don’t quote me and not answer the question I presented.

Rap does contribute to violence, it's literally a vehicle to promote street ideas to a mainstream audience. It literally promotes the idea that cooperation with law enforcement makes you a snitch. Which consequently promotes the idea of street justice.

The artform promotes violence and anti-Blackness.

To your question about movies, the the drug lord Rick Ross openly states that the movie Superfly is what influenced him to want to sell cocaine. There are many instances of movie inspired violence and killings even. Many posters right here on the coli have posted them in great detail in their quest to defend hip hop from being singled out

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Rap does contribute to violence, it's literally a vehicle to promote street ideas to a mainstream audience. It literally promotes the idea that cooperation with law enforcement makes you a snitch. Which consequently promotes the idea of street justice.

The artform promotes violence and anti-Blackness.

To your question about movies, the the drug lord Rick Ross openly states that the movie Superfly is what influenced him to want to sell cocaine. There are many instances of movie inspired violence and killings even. Many posters right here on the coli have posted them in great detail in their quest to defend hip hop from being singled out
So let me ask u a question. Are those anomalies or majority? Because u don’t think someone wanting to do something from a clearly fake movie scene is a mental problem? Lol. Honestly. MILLIONS of people see these movies. And a point percent of them act out on what they see. Do u know anyone personally who shot someone cause of a song?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Show us data indicating that pharmaceutical companies made millions because of rap.
Why do I have to do that? I don’t know if a study on that exists.

Entire demographics of people who never drunk prescription cough syrup started drinking it. A huge underground market was created. Tons of pints have been sold to a demographic that was previously not exposed to it and those who were certainly weren’t sipping recreationally. Yes, this has led to profits in the millions for these companies.

Lil Yachty just took the wock to Poland free product placement and marketing for Wockhardt.

Why is it that you’ll admit rappers made Tommy Hilfiger pop or Cristal made millions of dollars off rap influence but not Actavis or Wockhardt?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You gave up being objective a few posts ago. But here are a few more things to duck from addressing.

Burg is not an anomaly either. In the suburbs of your major city, there were/are teens seduced by allure of street life as glamourized by hip hop, and followed into it.
Most are in jail now.
&

Adults and teens dying and being injured because of "social media challenges" to the point where the FDA issues warning to parents about the dangers that were posed

Your thoughts?
Grown men and women are dead/hurt because of following dangerous stunts promoted on the internet, but hip hop music and imagery doesn't influence kids and teens to follow in the lifestyle being promoted?

Antidotes are not proof of anything especially people reminiscing and summarizing things to one event

People have always tried stunts. That didn’t start with SM.

Every post in this by me has been trying to see if someone can show rap contributing to violence.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
So let me ask u a question. Are those anomalies or majority? Because u don’t think someone wanting to do something from a clearly fake movie scene is a mental problem? Lol. Honestly. MILLIONS of people see these movies. And a point percent of them act out on what they see. Do u know anyone personally who shot someone cause of a song?

I'm of the belief that most people don't have a clear understanding of what shapes their behaviors. Most people are out here on autopilot consuming non-stop and how what they're consuming impacts their moods or thoughts isn't even a consideration.

If we were having a conversation about how the consumption of unhealthy foods impacts people, you'd point out that it's obvious that eating cheetos all the time is going to lead to poor health outcomes, but for some reason we can't extend that same logic to the consumption of content that promotes the deaths of Black people. You and others outright dismiss the possibility that Black people consuming anti-Black content will lead to poor self image.

I'm not suggesting that listening to songs will turn people into murderers.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is one of the ways in which lean made its way to the streets of Atlanta from 2008-2013:

Last year, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, investigators in Georgia found that technicians at Emory University Hospital Midtown in Atlanta had diverted 110 gallons of promethazine codeine to the street from 2008 to 2013, leading to a $200,000 fine. (The hospital told the newspaper it had systems in place to prevent such thefts, which it had strengthened in the wake of the revelations.)

Promethazine was reported as a substance abuse trend over two decades ago:

In the two decades since promethazine codeine was first reported as a substance abuse trend, pharmaceutical companies have rarely acknowledged, let alone taken steps to combat, the illegal market. By contrast the companies most closely associated with the broader opioid epidemic have occasionally been called to account for their practices and have defended themselves publicly. For example, the maker of OxyContin, Purdue Pharma LP, in 2007 pleaded guilty to charges of misleading regulators, doctors, and the public about the addiction risks of its product; Purdue has since said that it reformulated the drug to give it “abuse-deterrent properties” and that it’s funding programs to help prevent pharmacy robberies.

In August 2015, Wockhardt became the second company to publicly address the issue of recreational use of promethazine codeine syrup, following a controversy related to a syrup put out by its subsidiary Morton Grove. Three days after the Chicago Tribune published an article highlighting how the local suburb of Morton Grove, where the subsidiary is based, had become synonymous on social media with purple drank, Wockhardt issued a statement about what it called the “disturbing practice” of unapproved use of its syrup. “While some may attempt to glamorize it, prescription drug abuse is a public health problem,” the company said. “We will continue to work with law enforcement and others to deter the unauthorized use of prescription cough medicine.”

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

Entire demographics of people who never drunk prescription cough syrup started drinking it. A huge underground market was created. Tons of pints have been sold to a demographic that was previously not exposed to it and those who were certainly weren’t sipping recreationally. Yes, this has led to profits in the millions for these companies.

Lil Yachty just took the wock to Poland free product placement and marketing for Wockhardt.

Why is it that you’ll admit rappers made Tommy Hilfiger pop or Cristal made millions of dollars off rap influence but not Actavis or Wockhardt?
People wear clothes and like fashion. Anyone who is into fashion would probably get influenced to try a fashion a rapper mentioned. Even tho the fashion comes from the streets first but whatever. People who drink alcohol is more susceptible to trying an alcohol an entertainer recommended. Cause they already drink alcohol or plan on drinking it. Tommy Hilfiger and Alcohol also aren’t illegal. Entertainment ain’t gonna make someone who ain’t into fashion all of a sudden into fashion. Same with drinking. SAME with drugs. Someone who was already experimenting with different drugs may want to try a drug they seen endorsed by an entertainer. But that about it. Now when we get to murder and shyt like that? If u think a SONG, a MOVIE, or a GAME can turn someone into a MURDERER. U are dense as fukk.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm of the belief that most people don't have a clear understanding of what shapes their behaviors. Most people are out here on autopilot consuming non-stop and how what they're consuming impacts their moods or thoughts isn't even a consideration.

If we were having a conversation about how the consumption of unhealthy foods impacts people, you'd point out that it's obvious that eating cheetos all the time is going to lead to poor health outcomes, but for some reason we can't extend that same logic to the consumption of content that promotes the deaths of Black people. You and others outright dismiss the possibility that Black people consuming anti-Black content will lead to poor self image.

I'm not suggesting that listening to songs will turn people into murderers.

Because it's a false equivalency. People aren't claiming that it's the Cheetos, your talking points would be basically blaming the entities that promote and glamorize Cheetos.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

You have to show proof or data because you made a stated information as if it were fact.

I can post anything on here factual or not. If I'm challenged on that especially if I'm stating it as fact, I am obligated to show some type of proof. If I fail to do that, my argument has no legs to stand on.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
People wear clothes and like fashion. Anyone who is into fashion would probably get influenced to try a fashion a rapper mentioned. Even tho the fashion comes from the streets first but whatever. People who drink alcohol is more susceptible to trying an alcohol an entertainer recommended. Cause they already drink alcohol or plan on drinking it. Tommy Hilfiger and Alcohol also aren’t illegal. Entertainment ain’t gonna make someone who ain’t into fashion all of a sudden into fashion. Same with drinking. SAME with drugs. Someone who was already experimenting with different drugs may want to try a drug they seen endorsed by an entertainer. But that about it. Now when we get to murder and shyt like that? If u think a SONG, a MOVIE, or a GAME can turn someone into a MURDERER. U are dense as fukk.
Did rappers popularize promethazine codeine as a recreational drug, yes or no?

Would promethazine codeine be a popular drug today if it weren’t for rappers, yes or no?

I never said music was making people into murderers. :mjlol:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Philly is one city with a noted long time opiate problem percs were already huge there by the time it got popular in NYC. I'm not from Philly so Philly posters could clear that up on the differences between Texas lean and what they were sipping, how widespread it is/was then in the city, who/how started it and all that. I know they're an outlier and today every hood in America has it. The first NY rapper I heard sipping lean was Juelz and he said he started sipping because of Paul Wall.

Lean was not mainstream in America until rappers made it so. I think most posters here outside the South would admit nobody in their city was sipping lean until 10-15 years ago. Lil Wayne, Future, and a host of other rappers made that shyt look cool as fukk and harmless.

If we can admit that rappers have made clothing brands, car companies, liquor companies millions of dollars why can't we admit that the pharmaceutical companies have also made millions from rap product placement and influence?
Wayne & Dip Set got it from MFs. Dutch was a lean dude. Jimmy even spoke how he & Dutch were on Charli's bus and he drunk ish that made him sleep from NY to Mia...he had to know what it was. It was mostly a Kensington thing. J Street. Pancakes & Syrup...

But lets just say Texas & Philly both had it around the same time. Ironically Country music & early hip-hop.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Wayne & Dip Set got it from MFs. Dutch was a lean dude. Jimmy even spoke how he & Dutch were on Charli's bus and he drunk ish that made him sleep from NY to Mia...he had to know what it was. It was mostly a Kensington thing. J Street.
Juelz said he got it from Paul Wall not Major Figgas.

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
If you can quote me saying that, I'll voluntarily accept a ban that doesn't allow me to come back until 2023.

I extend that invitation with confidence
yes, Black people should avoid each other unless they're coming together to do something constructive, and for the record, I'm practically never around white people unless it's to do some type of constructive activity.

for example

you believe Black people should congregate to do non-constructive things?

I never said I was scared to be around "real life people".

When I am around "real life people" it's because something constructive is happening, for example, I'm engineering in a studio setting or filming video or shooting photos for an event, outside of that, there's no reason for me to "hang out".

We told yall about dude...

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Wayne & Dip Set got it from MFs. Dutch was a lean dude. Jimmy even spoke how he & Dutch were on Charli's bus and he drunk ish that made him sleep from NY to Mia...he had to know what it was. It was mostly a Kensington thing. J Street.

After hurricane Katrina, 2005, Wayne moved to Houston and was even enrolled in college here, that's around the time he picked up the habit and started incorporating it into his music.