Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Did rappers popularize promethazine codeine as a recreational drug, yes or no?

Would promethazine codeine be a popular drug today if it weren’t for rappers, yes or no?

I never said music was making people into murderers. :mjlol:
Did u read what I said? I answered ur question. And y’all nikkas was the ones contributing violence in rap to the violence on the street. And I’m pulling y’all card and y’all all of a sudden can’t answer the question.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Rap does contribute to violence, it's literally a vehicle to promote street ideas to a mainstream audience. It literally promotes the idea that cooperation with law enforcement makes you a snitch. Which consequently promotes the idea of street justice.

The artform promotes violence and anti-Blackness.

To your question about movies, the the drug lord Rick Ross openly states that the movie Superfly is what influenced him to want to sell cocaine. There are many instances of movie inspired violence and killings even. Many posters right here on the coli have posted them in great detail in their quest to defend hip hop from being singled out
Snitching has been taboo since the beginning of civilization. You were branded a traitor. Treason for betraying your country. Even The Brady Bunch had an anti-snitching episode (The Tattle-Tale).

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
So why should black people avoid each other then, you fukking piece of shyt

To minimize conflict, The reason you were able to find these posts is because it's something I've spoken about at length but I'll reiterate here:

A lot of the "Black people need to be on code" talk is attributed to Tariq Nasheed but he got it from Neely Fuller Jr and one of the "codes" is minimizing contact to minimize conflict.

suhoo2z.jpg

You can find the code book here at

:francis:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Snitching has been taboo since the beginning of civilization. You were branded a traitor. Treason for betraying your country. Even The Brady Bunch had an anti-snitching episode (The Tattle-Tale).

There's a bit of conflation of ideas happening here. If you witness a crime and you cooperate with law enforcement, you will be labeled a snitch or a rat.

In that context who are you betraying? (other than the damn criminal)

:patrice:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
There's a bit of conflation of ideas happening here. If you witness a crime and you cooperate with law enforcement, you will be labeled a snitch or a rat.

In that context who are you betraying? (other than the damn criminal)

:patrice:
U forgot about the Mob? Same shyt with them. They used to kill witnesses and all kinda shyt.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
U forgot about the Mob? Same shyt with them. They used to kill witnesses and all kinda shyt.

yes, the mob is organized crime. We got regular ass citizens calling other citizens rats for cooperating with law enforcement and the only people that benefit from this arrangement is criminals in our community.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
yes, the mob is organized crime. We got regular ass citizens calling other citizens rats for cooperating with law enforcement and the only people that benefit from this arrangement is criminals in our community.

That ain’t a hip hop problem. And that problem was in THEIR community too. Even with the citizens. The mentality bled into the communities. U knew u couldn’t snitch. Even as a civilian. Or something would happen to u. If it’s between 2 regular citizens. It’s tattle telling. Which is also frowned upon in every community.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
That ain’t a hip hop problem. And that problem was in THEIR community too. Even with the citizens. The mentality bled into the communities. U knew u couldn’t snitch. Even as a civilian. Or something would happen to u. If it’s between 2 regular citizens. It’s tattle telling. Which is also frowned upon in every community.

If someone robs you and you know who did it, if there's a stigma in cooperating with law enforcement, the only options a person has is to take the L or to handle it themselves.

No snitching culture leads to violence.

Just last week, Takeoff was killed in a private party where 50 ppl were present, law enforcement should have known who was responsible before sunrise but our mayor was on TV begging for people to come forward with information. This culture protects criminals and everyone else that isn't a criminal has to suffer.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
If someone robs you and you know who did it, if there's a stigma in cooperating with law enforcement, the only options a person has is to take the L or to handle it themselves.

No snitching culture leads to violence.

Just last week, Takeoff was killed in a private party where 50 ppl were present, law enforcement should have known who was responsible before sunrise but our mayor was on TV begging for people to come forward with information. This culture protects criminals and everyone else that isn't a criminal has to suffer.
This isn’t rap culture

This comes from a distrust of police and believing the police won’t protect you if you see revealed as a witness

You keep exposing yourself

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why do people speak in absolutes? I absolutely didn’t know what lean was until the Texas rappers, but really 3-6 mafia sizzurp, I went out to try to make my own sizzurp specifically because of that song, luckily I didn’t have access to real codeine, but I consider myself raised well with legit common sense, but even I fell victim to trying some shyt because of a song. BG’s Hennessy and XTC is also what encouraged me to try X at a young age. Music is influential, even for kids who aren’t usually easy to manipulate

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Why do people speak in absolutes? I absolutely didn’t know what lean was until the Texas rappers, but really 3-6 mafia sizzurp, I went out to try to make my own sizzurp specifically because of that song, luckily I didn’t have access to real codeine, but I consider myself raised well with legit common sense, but even I fell victim to trying some shyt because of a song. BG’s Hennessy and XTC is also what encouraged me to try X at a young age. Music is influential, even for kids who aren’t usually easy to manipulate
U did. Me and none of my nikkas did. ALSO. A lot of hip hop is adult content. IM ALL FOR making sure kids have a harder time accessing certain content in entertainment. Across the board. We were MUCH better at this before now. Our generation of parenting is dirt. We don’t even like when the teacher tells us about our kids behavior. Gen X and millennial parenting sucks.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
U did. Me and none of my nikkas did. ALSO. A lot of hip hop is adult content. IM ALL FOR making sure kids have a harder time accessing certain content in entertainment. Across the board. We were MUCH better at this before now. Our generation of parenting is dirt. We don’t even like when the teacher tells us about our kids behavior. Gen X and millennial parenting sucks.
exactly...so people need to stop talking in absolutes like this shyt doesn't influence kids, it does.

and i won't even go there with parenting...parents did not keep us (gen x, older millennials) from stuff - we were much freer kids, playing at parks alone, walking home with just our peers, being at home alone...kids don't do this stuff nearly as much. and furthermore, there are too many ways for kids to access stuff even with age settings and site blocks, the pervasiveness of technology has made censoring what kids have access to 100x harder. i'm not going to sit here and act like gen x/millennial parents just don't care when i see a much higher level of involvement from them than boomer parents