Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
But then that's not a rap music problem... That's a pharmaceutical industry problem.

Case in point: the opioid epidemic. That shyt ravaged rural America. And they didn't need to insert perk placements in Rock/Country music either.

We're talking about drugs. Do we really think big pharma needs rap to push drugs?

This was a function of doctors overprescribing opioids.

No one is claiming that Big Pharma used rappers to promote drugs, the argument is that rappers popularized certain drugs Lean being one of them.

In a 2019 interview, American rapper Future spoke about quitting lean and stated that he was afraid that his fans would believe his music has changed if he had publicly admitted to quitting earlier.[

Daps
This article speaks directly to the stats, but I'm wondering which one of ya'll wrote it, because TheColi is specifically mentioned in the artilce:

@jilla82 was it you in the takeoff RIP thread that was asking me about stats and facts? i wasn't gonna get into it in there but here's a good article the echos some of my posts on the topic. men lie, women lie....

Last edited:

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road
Jacksonville rappers literally making MUSIC videos shytting on each others gangs graves

But na.. NOT my HIP HOP

If this thread was about labwls pushing rappers to this shyt yall would be agreeing. You just dont wanna admit it. I didnt either. But its a fact.

Yall will say hip hop influenced everything on EARTH… but not people. Lmao
First off. Stop calling black culture hiphop. WTF is hip hop.
That is a indicator that you have enough of an understanding or appreciation for what is going on to make comments about what we as a culture are influenced by.
If you are being honest with yourself, you will note that......like I wrote earlier in the past few years "rap songs have called for the deaths and CELEBRATED the murders of actual people( other Black men"
In a few cities rap songs were made to broadcast taunts to rival crews and gangs. Publicly humiliating others which contributed, poured gasoline on, lead to more violence and murders.
Chicago, NYC, and Florida based rappers have had incidents.

Are we going to have an honest convo?
Those are just the traceable stories, never mind the impressionable kids who idolize and emulate rappers.

This is a goofy comment. Because its your point doesnt make it honest. Rap music is not contributing to the death. Youtube is. Social media is. Death is happening everywhere. Because it happens in rap to doesnt make it raps fault. Stop being racist to your self. If we being honest.
You yourself. Are influenced by the timeline and youtube in your weak ass opinion. Because this is not from your personal experiences, or observations, of the black people you know and see, that listen to rap everyday. You are talking about the propaganda you see promoted to your algorithm. Fake deep...

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road
future AOTY contender...but I never believed none of the shyt he was rapping that he lived....and dude at least 37.....pathetic
Lmao future is under a 15 year fed investigation. And a baby momma that keeps calling the police. You pathetic for WANTING a nikka to be lying.

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road
the art of rap ITSELF, isn't a problem. Many a person on here can spit a damn hot 16 (go look at the tunnel) and produce a fire beat. The act itself isn't gonna make me go shoot someone dead.
But the hip hop culture at large is a real problem. There's no way a damn millionairre should be on the NBA court doing things that petty criminals and hustlers do, in public. Same goes for Migos an that situation. Being poor or broke shouldn't mean you suddenly lose your sense of class or respect. The overarching culture (and social media, which is like a shot of roids to the system) is inherently toxic and has been for a long while. Much of the culture isn't even about music anymore, its just about stunting and whatever other bullshyt they tryna sell us.
What?
Rap music aint the problem, Black culture is? it lacks class and respect? Stfu

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Big pharma doesn’t need rap they already rake in billions of dollars…

It was Lil Wayne and Future (and others) that took a lil known opiate cocktail to a drug of choice nationwide by marketing it.

Had rappers never rapped about it…that shyt would have remained regional and perhaps would have even fallen out of popularity by modern day.

U from Brooklyn nobody in Brooklyn was sipping lean 15 years ago. They’ve been doing lean and variations of it in Houston for decades.

Asap Rocky said this:

Since my early teens, i been sitting clean, mixing, sipping lean----- ASAP Rocky "Servin Lean remix"

^^^ Rocky is from NY. He claims he was doing this in his early teens, which would've been before Future blew up and before Wayne was rapping about it. Certainly, lean wasn't regional or would've stayed regional. This was definitely more than 15 years ago and before Rocky was even a rapper. Rocky would've been 13-16 in 2001-2004.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Asap Rocky said this:

Since my early teens, i been sitting clean, mixing, sipping lean----- ASAP Rocky "Servin Lean remix"

^^^ Rocky is from NY. He claims he was doing this in his early teens, which would've been before Future blew up and before Wayne was rapping about it. Certainly, lean wasn't regional or would've stayed regional. This was definitely more than 15 years ago and before Rocky was even a rapper. Rocky would've been 13-16 in 2001-2004.
He was 14-17 in those years but word. U right.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Asap Rocky said this:

It’s just a rhyme doesn’t even have to be true. You think a 13 year old Rocky was securing bottles of promethazine codeine in 2001 NYC.

Rocky was influenced by that Houston and Memphis shyt they were the ones pushing it before Wayne and Future.

Lean was regional for decades until rappers started making songs about it.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
@JustCKing

From A$AP NYT interview…
On being outcasts in Harlem:
“We used to wear Gucci loafers when they were still wearing Air Maxes,” he said. “We were the only young cats sipping lean in 2007, 2008, sipping promethazine and codeine.”

People mostly weren’t drinking that shyt until rappers started promoting it. Lean and variations of it was a Texas thing for decades.

Last edited:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s just a rhyme doesn’t even have to be true. You think a 13 year old Rocky was securing bottles of promethazine codeine in 2001 NYC.

Rocky was influenced by that Houston and Memphis shyt they were the ones pushing it before Wayne and Future.

Lean was regional for decades until rappers started making songs about it.

Breh, youth have access to a lot of illegal items that they aren't supposed to have. Huge reason why the homicide and suicide rates ar

And you're contradicting yourself. Rappers have been making songs about lean for decades.

And more to the point, 2000 was the year that I would say syrup went mainstream. You have Pimp C's verse on "Big Pimpin" and then you have Three Six's "Sippin on Syrup". The video had the lean in baby bottles.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
10 years ago we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It was widely understood that lean was very much regional and that rap was the vehicle to spread it nationwide. It was also widely understood that Rocky was heavily "inspired" by Houston culture.

:francis:

Edit: just did a quick coli search for "Asap Rocky Houston", the story tells itself.

10 years ago, this definitely would have been a discussion. Lean was huge 10 years ago. Where were you? This is why I call your posts intellectually dishonest because it's like you woke up yesterday and realized that there was rampant violence in rap, lean was popular, and that rappers haven't been invoking KKK imagery against their enemies in previous eras.

Every time, I challenge you in this, there is no response, yet you continue to act like this is suddenly a relatively new phenomenon.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Breh, youth have access to a lot of illegal items that they aren't supposed to have. Huge reason why the homicide and suicide rates ar

And you're contradicting yourself. Rappers have been making songs about lean for decades.

And more to the point, 2000 was the year that I would say syrup went mainstream. You have Pimp C's verse on "Big Pimpin" and then you have Three Six's "Sippin on Syrup". The video had the lean in baby bottles.
Rocky wasn’t sipping in 2001 that’s just a rhyme. He was sipping in 2007 and as he said nobody was doing that shyt in Harlem at that time.

When I say decades I’m talking about the 50’s and 60’s when blues musicians in Houston would cut Robitussin with beer and wine coolers. This cough syrup thing was regional for decades until about the late 00’s, early 2010’s.