Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
And now more than ever, the youth isn't force fed this music. Radio isn't the dominant medium through which people are discovering music any more. Television is near obsolete. Teens are viewing whatever they want through their phones. It is far more important to consider why they are choosing to view whatever it is they are viewing than whatever it is they are viewing.
Attention. It's no different from what "bad kids" do to get grown ups to pay attention to them.

If you really look at it, being "hard" or whatever is attention-seeking, chip-on-your-shoulder behavior. Individuals, gangs, everything.

That's basically where it all comes from. In hoods, suburbs, everywhere.

The music chosen is used as a tool to simply express that need for attention. It's basically the blind leading the blind really. Bunch of people needing attention in a big world.

That's the origin of it all.

(edited more of original post)

Last edited:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
If you are being honest with yourself, you will note that......like I wrote earlier in the past few years "rap songs have called for the deaths and CELEBRATED the murders of actual people( other Black men"
In a few cities rap songs were made to broadcast taunts to rival crews and gangs. Publicly humiliating others which contributed, poured gasoline on, lead to more violence and murders.
Chicago, NYC, and Florida based rappers have had incidents.

Are we going to have an honest convo?
Those are just the traceable stories, never mind the impressionable kids who idolize and emulate rappers.
These gangs would’ve been at war with each other if rap didn’t exist. Gangs have always taunted rival gangs

Rap is not contributing to gangs beefing. That’s inherent with street gangs

And kids aren’t emulating rappers with crime. Crime has everything to do with accessibility and desperation

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
These gangs would’ve been at war with each other if rap didn’t exist. Gangs have always taunted rival gangs

Rap is not contributing to gangs beefing. That’s inherent with street gangs

And kids aren’t emulating rappers with crime. Crime has everything to do with accessibility and desperation
Let's recap

No one in this thread has shown how rap music contributes to violence
If you are being honest with yourself, you will note that......like I wrote earlier in the past few years "rap songs have called for the deaths and CELEBRATED the murders of actual people( other Black men"
In a few cities rap songs were made to broadcast taunts to rival crews and gangs. Publicly humiliating others which contributed, poured gasoline on, lead to more violence and murders.
Chicago, NYC, and Florida based rappers have had incidents.

Moving goal posts after your query was answered is not it.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Lately. Come on. They were calling for bans on Hip Hop in the 90's and that was the government doing it back when they looked at ALL rap as gangsta rap.
C-Bo from they bay went to jail for gangsta lyrics

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I saw it happen in my neighborhood growing up.

Once we started getting Colors and NWA and other gangsta music and movies dudes started imitating it.

Before that dudes would fist fight regularly. Anyone who had to rely on a weapon was seen as a punk.
but they were already violent BEFORE the movie and rap music though.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
People bringing up crime stats from the 70s-80s and then saying "SEE!!! Crime dropped in the 90s when gangsta rap was at it's peak!!!" :skip:

Conveniently ignoring the context of the crime bill and war on drugs that locked up large numbers of black men and took them off the streets for decades during that time period.

:skip:
the point is crime was high before gangsta rap was a thing, if a crime bill was introduced in the 70s-80s then it would've had the same effect. Point is people will do violent things and do more violent things when there isn't any repercussion.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
ojh4FFO.jpg

:wow:
more people got locked up from crack then with the crime bills there was an incentive to lock people up as private prisons meant more money for people who built them

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
J Prince didn't even let his kids listen to rap music growing up

lol why would he let babies listen to gangsta rap or any form of music with foul language, that's just bad parenting. J Prince was active in his kid's life and was their parent, this isn't news.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
but they were already violent BEFORE the movie and rap music though.

If you're talking about getting socked in the face then yes.

The violence that is concerning is opening fire on a crowd and hitting several innocent people.

Or murdering someone because they stepped on your shoe.

If we revert back to the head up first fights I'd be fine with that.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
lol why would he let babies listen to gangsta rap or any form of music with foul language, that's just bad parenting. J Prince was active in his kid's life and was their parent, this isn't news.
Right, Rap has adult themes.

Like i said, there’s been nothing in this thread showing hiphop contributes to violence

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You keep talking about the past like its the same as today. Media in the 90s aint media in 2022. You acting like what im saying is some impossible scenario when its basically THE TALKING POINT of today. Its what kanye saying, its what flex is saying. Its what everyone saying and ALREADY KNOWS…

but You wanna talk ‘stats’ so you can run from reality. Its common sense. Your just one of the dumbest people in coli history so idk why im even talking with you.

Wheres the data? Everhone knows murders are down in every city ten fold EXCEPT the cities where HIP HOP and gangs which INFLUENCED AND INFILTRATED HIP HOP reign supreme. And look.. rappers dying left and righer every fukking week.

fukkin DUH. Show me the stats ass motherfukker. Are you slow? Dont answer that cuz i already know you are. Using backstreet boys singing killers for false equivalency. Suck my dikk
Exactly at the bolded. U just played urself. Because the fact that the media is different. Media consumption is different. Social media literally changed the way people interact with eachother and it has changed social dynamics in a way we haven’t seen before in history. Let’s get it straight here. Before Drill music. nikkas was drillin. And posting it on social media with emojis n shyt. I remember when Drill music came out and people started paying attention to Chicago more. And realized and shocked how cats was having shootouts and killing eachother and posting smileys n shyt like that on Twitter and IG. That @Matt504 nikka keep posting Juice Wrld being influenced by Future to prove his point. Yet ignores the fact that Juice Wrld was a depressed, troubled and desperate individual with PTSD looking for a way to self medicate and escape his internal demons. That ain’t start with the music, we should be looking at what was going on in his life where he felt the need to turn to drugs in the first place. What was his life like in the streets of Chicago? What was his home life like? What would make these rappers write some shyt like..

“I turn the news on and I smell death in the air, I proved YOU wrong I made it out of here, I don’t belong I see my past everywhere, don’t get too close to me, I got PTSD. There’s a Warzone inside of my head, I made it on my own they said I’d be in jail or dead, I’ve seen my brothers fall over and over again, don’t stand too close to me, I got PTSD..”

Those lyrics say it all right there.