Rap’s Contribution to Violence Debate Thread

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And now more than ever, the youth isn't force fed this music. Radio isn't the dominant medium through which people are discovering music any more. Television is near obsolete. Teens are viewing whatever they want through their phones. It is far more important to consider why they are choosing to view whatever it is they are viewing than whatever it is they are viewing.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're deflecting again.

What I wrote was "calling for the death and CELEBRATING the murder of actual people (other Black men).

I take your answer to be YES.

How am I deflecting?

Breh,

Lil' Ceaser, go ask ya homie how I leave ya
Cut your young ass up, leave you in pieces, now be deceased
Lil' Kim, don't fukk around with real G's

Get out the way yo, get out the way yo
Biggie Smalls just got shot

This ain't no freestyle battle
All you nikkaz gettin killed with ya mouths open
Tryin' to come up offa me, you in the clouds hopin'

^^^ calling for death and pretty much celebratory of murder. This was on the radio. I listened to this at 10.

Oh, don't think I forgot, let you slide
Let me ride, just another homicide

I'm hollerin' 187 with my dikk in your mouth, biatch

While you're on stage rappin' at your wack-ass concert
And I'ma snatch your ass from the backside
And show you how Death Row pull off that who-ride

Spot him, got him, as I pulls out my strap
Got my chrome to the side of his White Sox hat

^^^ Dre Day

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road
nikkas just hate their culture.
Not the arts responsibility to raise black children.
Drill didnt create the enviroment in chicago. Chicago happen and that is why we have drill. That is how it works. Not the other way around. Culture is reflected in our art. Art is not creating our culture. That is what a racist thinks.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
How am I deflecting?

Breh,

Lil' Ceaser, go ask ya homie how I leave ya
Cut your young ass up, leave you in pieces, now be deceased
Lil' Kim, don't fukk around with real G's

Get out the way yo, get out the way yo
Biggie Smalls just got shot

This ain't no freestyle battle
All you nikkaz gettin killed with ya mouths open
Tryin' to come up offa me, you in the clouds hopin'

^^^ calling for death and pretty much celebratory of murder. This was on the radio. I listened to this at 10.

Oh, don't think I forgot, let you slide
Let me ride, just another homicide

I'm hollerin' 187 with my dikk in your mouth, biatch

While you're on stage rappin' at your wack-ass concert
And I'ma snatch your ass from the backside
And show you how Death Row pull off that who-ride

Spot him, got him, as I pulls out my strap
Got my chrome to the side of his White Sox hat

^^^ Dre Day
Just as long as you said YES.

A word of advice to you and the other dudes on here who are reluctant or afraid to concede points in discussions. Everybody reading can see when you're doing it. This is in print, not a verbal discussion where you can dance around issues.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just as long as you said YES.

A word of advice to you and the other dudes on here who are reluctant or afraid to concede points in discussions. Everybody reading can see when you're doing it. This is in print, not a verbal discussion where you can dance around issues.

What issues am I dancing around? Everyone reading can see what you're doing too. What I'm telling you is this:

1) Violence in music, specifically rap music is nothing new

2) If it is the Violence that we are condemning, our generation isn't exempt

3) You can't indict one form of Hip Hop for being violent without putting a mirror to most of the music those of us 35+ consumed as well.

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Jacksonville rappers literally making MUSIC videos shytting on each others gangs graves

But na.. NOT my HIP HOP

If this thread was about labwls pushing rappers to this shyt yall would be agreeing. You just dont wanna admit it. I didnt either. But its a fact.

Yall will say hip hop influenced everything on EARTH… but not people. Lmao

Last edited:
Daps
there are so many aspects that contribute to violence among cultures. you hate to see threads like this going plat because it involves trend, or gives people a chance to grandstand (hypocritically at that), or gossip, etc.
because in the same time (and trust, there is 100 times as much death in a day than the occasional hip hop occurence) the news will be filled with case like this and nobody cares to do the deep dive. everybody gets that there are just some crazy individuals out here that commit crime and they leave it at that 🤷‍♀️ . hell even the same people who cry about "rap celebrates death" will turn around and say "well this guy who committed this crime needs to just die" or something to that nature (yeah i see you )

deep diving on a rap death and just accepting it as everyday life for the millions of other's who die seems like some weird form of celebrity worship.

tldr

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Music has NEVER controlled how you grow up and behave until recently. People wanted to be like michael jackson. Or jordan. And that turned into being a thug is cool. Deloris tucker was fukking right bro. She lived and saw the change in real time. We grew up with it. We know no different.

In the 80s or 90s i didnt tirn on the radio as a child and hear someones gon fukk my girl, kill me, kill my family. On mainstream fukkin radio.

Rappers didnt make songs called “i hate ******s. Call me kkk” 21 savage.

We grew up in an era where drugs were looked down on. And you got a STERN talking to. Goto kensington philadelphia count how many black kids you see walking like zombies. On thecoli only white kids do drugs lol. But in reality its fukking something else.

I literally saved one last week falling out lying on his legs all fentynold up. Because rap told them lean was fukking cool. Pure and simple. FACT.

how many people join gangs cuz rap glorifys it. Fact. We had music like tht too. But CREAM by wutang was a concious song. Juicy was a concious song. Where are thise songs today? They dont EXIST.

Today i got nicky minaj talking about how she gon work the dikk EXPLICITLY for lil girls to listen and dance to. They are NOT equal.

You guys do not go outside if you think different. You dont talk to these kids. I grew up with them. IN THIS ERA. They know it. They just tryna fit in and suffer the co sequences. Why dont yall? Cause yall sheltered on thecoli. Half yall 45 years old. Using 1995 talking points like its still 1995.

2 pac and biggie was a major event to us. Today rappers like that die EVERY MONTH.

But nah… its all the same. Noones talking about. kanye or flex or everyone else saying it all full of shyt right .

I can literally post ig account after ig saying the same shyt like delores tucker. LEGENDS. But yall wanna play pretend. Hip hop is not some sacred thing anymore. Its a business of DEATH.

If you think music controls how people grow up, we got HUGE problems. Where are the parents and the positive influence. We FAILED them first and foremost and must bear that. Why? How does someone these children have never met become a bigger influence than someone who is present in their lives unless they aren't present. What kind of environments are these children being brought up in? Why are they choosing violence?

Breh, Michael Jordan wasn't the only person people emulated. Our favorite rappers told us how they emulated street hustlers. They dressed like them. The stories they told us were influenced by them.

The fact that C. Delores Tucker led a crusade against Hip Hop music in the 90's tells me that violence has been in the music since the 90's. That is contradictory to you telling me that this is a recent problem.

You are telling me that us older people are using 1995 talking points, the whole "Hip Hop is causing homicides" is a talking point that is older than a lot of us. What are you talking about?

Breh, nobody on the level of Biggie and Pac is dying from violence in Hip Hop everyday. Stop it.

Nas is my favorite rapper. He's the rapper I feel is GOAT, but let's not act that this doesn't exist:

And hanging nikkas like the Ku Klux Klan

^^^ that line is from the first verse his day one fans ever heard from. That verse put people onto his music. Cube has songs with the same kind of rhetoric.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't see the bit about Nicki Minaj at first, but we really about to act like the following didn't exist:

I'm sexin' raw-dog without protection, disease infested, ugh!---- Foxy Brown, "I Shot Ya Remix"

^^^ first time many people ever heard a Foxy verse. This was a single with a video.

Grab on your dikk as this bytch gets deep
Deeper than the p*ssy of a bytch 6 feet
Stiff dikks feel sweet in this little petite
Young bytch from the street, guaranteed to stay down
Used to bring work outta town on Greyhound
Now I'm Billboard bound, nikkas press to hit it
Play me like a chicken, thinkin' I'm pressed to get it
Rather do the killin' than the stick-up juxs
Rather count a million while you eat my p*ssy
Push me to the limit, get my feelings in it
Get me open while I'm cummin' down your throat
Then, you wanna be my main squeeze, nikka
Don'tcha? You wanna lick between my knees, nikka
Don'tcha want to see me whippin' your 3 down the Ave?
Blow up spots on bytches because I'm mad
Break up affairs, lick shots in the air
You get vexed and start swinging everywhere
Me shifty? Now you wanna pistol whip me
Pull out your 9 while I cock on mine
Yeah, what nikka? I ain't got time for this
So what, nikka? I'm not tryin' to hear that shyt
Now you wanna buy me diamonds and Armani suits
Adrienne Vittadini and Chanel 9 boots
Things that make up for all the games and the lies
Hallmark cards sayin' "I apologize"
Is you with me? How could you ever deceive me?
But payback's a bytch, motherfukker, believe me
Nah, I ain't gay, this ain't no lesbo flow
Just a lil' somethin' to let you motherfukkers know---- Lil' Kim, "Get Money"

See I fukk him in the living room
While his children ain't home
I make him eat it while my period on
A little nasty ho, red-bone but a classy ho
Young jazzy ho and don't be scared
If you're curious just ask me hoes
And yes dikk sucking comes quite natural
Cause I'm da baddest bytch, what--- Trina, "Da Baddest"

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
Hip Hop is the canary in the coal mine for America. American Hip Hop music consistently signals to the world what all of our deepest problems are here, often times before we even address them as a nation. It's often why we vilify rappers for talking about uncomfortable topics in inartful ways (ex: shytting on emo/druggie Soundcloud rappers when they were telling us about the depression and the pill popping problem in America, and it then resulted in the death of JuiceWRLD, Mac Miller, Lil Peep, and others, along with possibly millions of Americans)

Whatever young black and brown men and women are sharing through their art is what the worst off people are suffering through, feeling, and dealing with.

In the last 10 years it's been depression, drug abuse, murder, gang violence, etc.

But you're treating a symptom of a problem when you focus on the artists and the art form contributing to the violence, instead of taking note of what's being covered.

They don't all just make it up out of thin air. Gun violence is up, crime is up, the economy is doing poorly, and we're all divided and fighting over what we think matters. That's all reflected in Hip Hop music.

We can blame kids for being immature, crass, and stirring up more violence through antagonizing music. I think that's a fair line to draw. Notti bopping is not protected Hip Hop speech to me. Naming dead people isn't either.

But that's not the big problem.

America needs to help struggling people if they want rap to change.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
the art of rap ITSELF, isn't a problem. Many a person on here can spit a damn hot 16 (go look at the tunnel) and produce a fire beat. The act itself isn't gonna make me go shoot someone dead.
But the hip hop culture at large is a real problem. There's no way a damn millionairre should be on the NBA court doing things that petty criminals and hustlers do, in public. Same goes for Migos an that situation. Being poor or broke shouldn't mean you suddenly lose your sense of class or respect. The overarching culture (and social media, which is like a shot of roids to the system) is inherently toxic and has been for a long while. Much of the culture isn't even about music anymore, its just about stunting and whatever other bullshyt they tryna sell us.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And let's be real, we have posters in here invoking C. Delores Tucker, but still only want to say that the violence in Hip Hop is something that's recent. She led a whole crusade against Hip Hop and had she been successful, ALL Hip Hop that included profanity and misogyny would've been banned. This would've included most Hip Hop music. Then to say "Cream" and "Juicy" are conscious Hip Hop songs is in error. Both those songs would've caught the ban too.

I'm guessing a lot of the proponents of "Rap contributes to violence" debate were not yet born before 2000 or just want to ignore that it was not only a discussion in previous eras, but it was common to turn on the radio in the 90's and hear "violence in rap music that celebrated death".

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Music has NEVER controlled how you grow up and behave until recently. People wanted to be like michael jackson. Or jordan. And that turned into being a thug is cool. Deloris tucker was fukking right bro. She lived and saw the change in real time. We grew up with it. We know no different.

In the 80s or 90s i didnt tirn on the radio as a child and hear someones gon fukk my girl, kill me, kill my family. On mainstream fukkin radio.

Rappers didnt make songs called “i hate ******s. Call me kkk” 21 savage.

We grew up in an era where drugs were looked down on. And you got a STERN talking to. Goto kensington philadelphia count how many black kids you see walking like zombies. On thecoli only white kids do drugs lol. But in reality its fukking something else.

I literally saved one last week falling out lying on his legs all fentynold up. Because rap told them lean was fukking cool. Pure and simple. FACT.

how many people join gangs cuz rap glorifys it. Fact. We had music like tht too. But CREAM by wutang was a concious song. Juicy was a concious song. Where are thise songs today? They dont EXIST.

Today i got nicky minaj talking about how she gon work the dikk EXPLICITLY for lil girls to listen and dance to. They are NOT equal.

You guys do not go outside if you think different. You dont talk to these kids. I grew up with them. IN THIS ERA. They know it. They just tryna fit in and suffer the co sequences. Why dont yall? Cause yall sheltered on thecoli. Half yall 45 years old. Using 1995 talking points like its still 1995.

2 pac and biggie was a major event to us. Today rappers like that die EVERY MONTH.

But nah… its all the same. Noones talking about. kanye or flex or everyone else saying it all full of shyt right .

I can literally post ig account after ig saying the same shyt like delores tucker. LEGENDS. But yall wanna play pretend. Hip hop is not some sacred thing anymore. Its a business of DEATH.
This is all bullshif

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
No one in this thread has shown how rap music contributes to violence
If you are being honest with yourself, you will note that......like I wrote earlier in the past few years "rap songs have called for the deaths and CELEBRATED the murders of actual people( other Black men"
In a few cities rap songs were made to broadcast taunts to rival crews and gangs. Publicly humiliating others which contributed, poured gasoline on, lead to more violence and murders.
Chicago, NYC, and Florida based rappers have had incidents.

Are we going to have an honest convo?
Those are just the traceable stories, never mind the impressionable kids who idolize and emulate rappers.