Rappers/Albums That Put Up Big Numbers But Lacked The Cultural Impact To Match

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Name names.

i'll name names after you admit that you were wrong and just talking out of your ass.

you not running chit over here jim. and you definitely aint using me as a pawn.

after that, we can name names thru the next 5 pages.

MrFettuccinnePockets

#TeamGuapele
Supporter
Daps
I agree with the College Dropout statement. While I agree, MMLP is the only Eminem album that had a cultural impact. It was one of those albums that had content that rubbed people the wrong way to the point that he had interest groups protesting and lobbying against his music. No it wasn't the first Hip Hop album to do that, but it had been a minute since a Hip Hop album did that to that magnitude.

Cuz he was saying that shock value off the wall shyt.

We talmbout the culture. Not Fox News not political groups, not MTV.

Only cultural impact he had was with the stan song

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cuz he was saying that shock value off the wall shyt.

We talmbout the culture. Not Fox News not political groups, not MTV.

Only cultural impact he had was with the stan song

It's not about Fox News, political groups, or MTV. It was even bigger than Eminem because the criticism wasn't just against him, but Hip Hop as a whole.

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
Come on man. CULTURAL IMPACT is what we are talking about.

Eminem was never that. No amount of plaques can change that. And yes he has bars but culture impact?

College Dropout impacted the culture more than Eminems whole discography.

THIS.

I been saying this, Kanye has had more cultural impact than Eminem

It's not about Fox News, political groups, or MTV. It was even bigger than Eminem because the criticism wasn't just against him, but Hip Hop as a whole.

yet now you got millions and millions of people (mostly corny ass white boys) who dont even really fukk with hip hop like that saying shyt like "eminem is the best rapper ever, he actually raps about something! not money, cars and bytches " :troll:

the biggest cultural impact Eminem had was opening the doors for a bunch of lames ass racist douchebag bros to say ridiculous shyt and speak on a genre they know very little about and make sweeping generalizations about and rappers before him to put Em on a pedestal and demean them.

I was in a Call Of Duty stream the other day watching some kid play COD, most stereotypical Eminem fan, beanie and all. he was playing some Em then asked for recommendiations, so I recommended him some AZ..something off Pieces Of A Man.. can't remember what song. ANYWAYS...... 30 seconds into the song he turns the shyt off and says something like "nah, i don't listen to that ghetto rap" and throws on Lose Yourself.. those are Eminem fans and that's the cultural impact hes had.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
1) There's no way you could possibly know this, therefore it's speculation.

2) It's beside point. Dude claimed that Speakerboxxx/Love Below had no impact on Black culture. I merely gave an example of how it did.

As for 2001 and it's impact on Eminem's career, Eminem wasn't selling 10 million copies before 2001. After 2001, his fanbase grew significantly. More so than anything, 2001 gave Eminem credibility. You're saying Eminem saved Dre, but they both helped each other. Where was Eminem's career prior to Dre signing him? I'll wait...

As for Kanye's drums, anybody with any ounce of knowledge of Hip Hop production knows that without nice sounding drums, a soul sample doesn't do much. On top of that Kanye admitted what him biting the drums from "Xxplosive" did for his career.

Lastly, even if you take away the points about Em and Kanye, there's still other things culturally significant about 2001.

1.) its not speculation. if you think so, then youre either in denial, or youre an outsider, or youre an insider but doesnt get out much. 1 of the 3.

2.) im sure dude meant hip-hop culture

3.) why did you stop using numbers?

4.) before we get to 5 & 6. let me just say that they dont matter anyway, because neither has anything to do with cultural impact.

5.) yes, em & dre helped each other. eminem brought dre's name back to the mainstream, and dre helped eminem by giving him the cosign BUT 2001 didnt do anything for eminem. em was already a superstar, being handed awards and all that off of SSLP. the reason MMLP sold more is because there was a ridiculous amount of hype leading up to that album. hype that wouldnt have been there if he didnt establish himself as an elite TRL star with the SSLP album. he shoveled the same chit to the same crowd. just with more emphasis.

6.) sure kanye used dre's drums to get over the hump, but thats not why he popped.

7.) what "other" things were culturally significant about 2001? you havnt mentioned 1 thing yet. you might have said it was regionally significant. that would be about it.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
THIS.

I been saying this, Kanye has had more cultural impact than Eminem

yet now you got millions and millions of people (mostly corny ass white boys) who dont even really fukk with hip hop like that saying shyt like "eminem is the best rapper ever, he actually raps about something! not money, cars and bytches " :troll:

the biggest cultural impact Eminem had was opening the doors for a bunch of lames ass douchebag bros to say ridiculous shyt and speak on a genre and make sweeping generalizations about a music and rappers before him to put Em on a pedestal and demean them.

I was in a Call Of Duty stream the other day watch some kid play COD, most stereotypical Eminem fan, beanie and all. he was playing some Em then asked for recommendiations, so I recommended him some AZ.. 30 second into the song he turns the shyt off and says something like "nah, i don't listen to that ghetto rap" and throws on Lose Yourself

Those people were always present, but on the flipside there where people who didn't want to associate themselves or their children with anything Em related. MMLP and Eminem himself were used to fuel the hate for Hip Hop. It was if to say "I told you so. Hip Hop is nothing more than a culture that promotes homophobia, violence, and misogyny". On this board, Eminem is made to be some poster child for white America, but he's far from it. Macklemore is the rapper they've been waiting for to fill that position and he's pretty much the antithesis of Eminem because he's safe, not controversial and he makes anthems for gays instead of dissing them.

Em didn't open the door for people who sit there and critique a genre and make sweeping generalizations, we had writers and journalists who did this before Eminem. There's always a bias from them to put whoever is their favorite on a pedestal.

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
Those people were always present, but on the flipside there where people who didn't want to associate themselves or their children with anything Em related. MMLP and Eminem himself were used to fuel the hate for Hip Hop. It was if to say "I told you so. Hip Hop is nothing more than a culture that promotes homophobia, violence, and misogyny". On this board, Eminem is made to be some poster child for white America, but he's far from it. Macklemore is the rapper they've been waiting for to fill that position and he's pretty much the antithesis of Eminem because he's safe, not controversial and he makes anthems for gays instead of dissing them.

Em didn't open the door for people who sit there and critique a genre and make sweeping generalizations, we had writers and journalists who did this before Eminem. There's always a bias from them to put whoever is their favorite on a pedestal.

Dude.. yes he has. lol get this.. my sister is going to be 31.. shes your avg hip hop fan. listen to BIG, Pac and Em.. but LOVES Eminem.. thinks hes one of those "real rappers" she lets her son who is 13? i think.. listen to Eminem. We were in her car one day and she puts on Eminem.. Eminem's saying "fakkit" and shyt in a song.. the song was inappropriate for a 13 year old. I put on some Jadakiss.. then she looks at me like :beli: "Dani, turns this off.. this is inappropriate" Jada wasn't even swearing or nothing, just rappin about street shyt.

and maybe the media wasn't fukkin with Em and middle aged suburban moms drivin BMWs and goin to church on sunday but white people as a whole definitely were.

Eminem is a poster child for White America.. hes a poster child for White America in a way, Eminem can rap about raping and killing people and horror-core themed type shyt mixed in with some struggle and feelings and it's "OMG Eminem went through such tough times and grew up in a trailer park and had such a fukked up child hood :sadcam: and dealt with mental issues" but a black rapper can rap about HIS struggle, his feelings and his experience and it's "ghetto and ignorant"

Sure, hip hop was being criticized before then and Eminem had fox news and people protesting.. but since people love talking charts and numbers and albums sold to validate impact at times.. hes also one the biggest, the highest selling most embraced rappers EVER by White America and is the "go to" for them when discussing who is GOAT, no matter how many toes he stepped on at the time and that's because of his skin color.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1.) its not speculation. if you think so, then youre either in denial, or youre an outsider, or youre an insider but doesnt get out much. 1 of the 3.

2.) im sure dude meant hip-hop culture

3.) why did you stop using numbers?

4.) before we get to 5 & 6. let me just say that they dont matter anyway, because neither has anything to do with cultural impact.

5.) yes, em & dre helped each other. eminem brought dre's name back to the mainstream, and dre helped eminem by giving him the cosign BUT 2001 didnt do anything for eminem. em was already a superstar, being handed awards and all that off of SSLP. the reason MMLP sold more is because there was a ridiculous amount of hype leading up to that album. hype that wouldnt have been there if he didnt establish himself as an elite TRL star with the SSLP album. he shoveled the same chit to the same crowd. just with more emphasis.

6.) sure kanye used dre's drums to get over the hump, but thats not why he popped.

7.) what "other" things were culturally significant about 2001? you havnt mentioned 1 thing yet. you might have said it was regionally significant. that would be about it.

1) It's speculation because you can't prove whether those people who line dance and shuffle to "The Way You Move" own/listen to/are fans of Speakerboxxx/Love Below or not.

2) Are you him though? Dude said Black culture which includes Hip Hop.

3) won't even bother

4) You still went out of your way to address it though

5) Eminem alluded to 2001 helping his fanbase though. In the same manner that TRL helped him with a teeny-bopper fanbase, 2001 introduced Eminem to a new audience

6) According to Kanye, it's why he popped.

7) LOL @ regionally significant. It bringing the West back is culturally significant.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude.. yes he has. lol get this.. my sister is going to be 31.. shes your avg hip hop fan. listen to BIG, Pac and Em.. but LOVES Eminem more than Pac and BIG. she lets her son who is 13? i think.. listen to Eminem. We were in her car one day and she puts on Eminem.. Eminem's saying "fakkit" and shyt in a song.. the song was inappropriate for a 13 year old. I put on some Jadakiss.. then she looks at me like :beli: "Dani, turns this off.. this is inappropriate" Jada wasn't even swearing or nothing, just rappin about street shyt.

Eminem is a poster child for White America.. hes a poster child for White America in a way, Eminem can rap about raping his mom and typical horrorcore themed type shyt and it's "OMG Eminem went through such tough times and grew up in a trailer park and had such a fukked up child hood :sadcam:" but a black rapper can rap about HIS struggle and his experience and it's "ghetto and ignorant"

Sure, hip hop was being criticized before then and Eminem had fox news and people protesting.. but since people love talking charts and numbers and albums sold to validate impact at times.. hes also one the biggest, the highest selling most embraced rappers EVER by White America no matter how many toes he stepped on at the time by White America and that's because of his skin color.

You're rebutting your own argument. Either you're saying he's a poster child for White America or you're not. He can't be "in a way". Your sister allowing her 13 year old to listen to Eminem vs. the hundreds, thousands of people that protested against him is proposterous.

His sales don't reflect being a poster child for anything. How many white people are there in America vs. the amount of white people who purchased his album? Are his albums purchased by white people ONLY?

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
You're rebutting your own argument. Either you're saying he's a poster child for White America or you're not. He can't be "in a way". Your sister allowing her 13 year old to listen to Eminem vs. the hundreds, thousands of people that protested against him is proposterous.

His sales don't reflect being a poster child for anything. How many white people are there in America vs. the amount of white people who purchased his album? Are his albums purchased by white people ONLY?

He is a poster child for white america.. but he didn't have an impact on hip hop in the way others did. he didn't have an impact in the way Pac, Big, Jay, Nas, Kanye, did on the culture no matter how many credible rappers put him in their top.

and the hundreds of thousands of people who protested against him vs the millions and millions of people bought his albums and listened to him and were screaming and crying singing along to him when he was playing arenas and stadiums?

i dont think his albums are purchased by white people only, but i bet a lot of his sales were because of white people.

your avg white person was fukking with Em. man, Im white.. I was a kid when Em came out and BLEW. every white person i knew and went to school with, family members.. including myself was listening to Em. I owned his music.. but years later.. no matter how good he raps, the music quality doesnt match his skill and it hasnt held up to me.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He is a poster child for white america.. but he didn't have an impact on hip hop in the way others did.

and the hundreds of thousands of people who protested against him vs the millions and millions of people bought his albums.

i dont think his albums are purchased by white people only, but i bet a lot of his sales were because of white people.

Eminem not being the poster child for White America is part of what made him appealing. He was the antithesis of what's socially accepted as good and pure. He disrespected respected figures of white society and represented what high society white folk consider "white trash". How then was or ever a poster child for White America?

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
Eminem not being the poster child for White America is part of what made him appealing. He was the antithesis of what's socially accepted as good and pure. He disrespected respected figures of white society and represented what high society white folk consider "white trash". How then was or ever a poster child for White America?

because your avg white person is not high society white folk... that's such a small percentage.

eminem was a poster child for white america.. but it wasn't the white america that is shown on t.v and among-st pop bullshyt. he pissed off the high society white folk, but was WAY more embraced by the higher percentage that did not fit into that small percentage.

he had more of an impact on white culture than he did hip hop culture.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
because your avg white person is not high society white folk... that's such a small percentage.

im white and eminem was a poster child for white america.. but it wasn't the white america that is shown on t.v and among-st pop bullshyt. he pissed off the high society white folk, but was WAY more embraced by the higher percentage that did not fit into that small percentage.

he had more of an impact on white culture than he did hip hop culture.

Even still, the Pop BS that he dissed were the poster children for White America (not just high society). These were the Mickey Mouse club kids who were wholesome and innocent and at the time bigger than Eminem.

Eminem has had an impact on Hip Hop for better or for worse. To say that he's had zero impact is laughable. He may have had more impact on white culture, but that's not to say that he hasn't impacted Hip Hop, because his peers say otherwise.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

man it was all about eminem. the media may have threw hip-hop under the bus in the process but it was all about eminem and he reaped all the benefits as it took his career to the next level(not some dre 2001 collabos, like you claim) and culminated with him making out with elton john on the grammys stage. i kinda think half of that stuff was done to make eminem bigger on the low.:laugh:

hip-hop wasnt paying attention to these eminem controversies. sorry to break it to you, but we didnt care.