Rapper Eve Reveals Jay-Z Called When Her Debut Album Dropped & Told Her Not to Get Her Hopes Up Because Female Rappers "Don't Really Do That Well

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Damn Hov really a hater :mjlol:

I wish I was the gnat in the air while Hov hit up Eve on some:

"Yeahhh ummm Eve, congrats and all that. Have you maybe considered ugh, updating your resume to maybe a file clerk for Def Jam or some sor...hello?":huhldup:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I mean they weren't really rivals as they were all on Def Jam. Hell they had the Hard Knock Life Tour together and almost had a super group with Jay, X, and Ja.

Eve dropping and going platinum off the strength of lyrics and not trying to fukk on wax was crazy for the time. Hence why Jay was goofy as hell calling Eve with that corny shyt, when he lucked up with the Annie sample.
Nah, I think he was talking facts. Eve was literally the third woman to ever go platinum and she went double platinum. That type of success out the gate was pretty unprecedented. And he likely didn’t say it in an a$$hole way either. The R and Rocafella were cliqued up. He was likely on some, “don’t be disappointed if the numbers aren’t crazy” shyt. It ain’t about you, people just don’t be buying into women rappers like that. I think a lot of remember a lot of those women rappers and don’t realize most of them were fighting for gold while literally anyone could go platinum at one point.

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
This when Jay was head of Def Jam right?

I dont know where he got the female rappers dont do well. They did way beyond well in the 90s

Except Amil..lol

I understand why you asked thi question.

Cause its corny for Jay to even be talking about biz with other artist on the label.

That would be like Kodak Black telling Cardi B on Atlantic that odont get your hopes up for success when Bodak Yellow Popped.

And even Kodaks would still have a reason to speak to Cardi, Hov had no reason whats so ever to say that.