Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I've come really close to passing out twice on zercher squats
Almost went face first into the floor:

Did my pyramid set of front squats starting at 235 for two down the 190 for 12. Felt fine.

Moved to deads 225x10, 275 for 8 and damn near hit the floor. Went 295 for 6 then two singles of 315.

Did single leg press and ham curls.

Got home and realized I had 1000 cals at best yesterday after upper body lifting.

Last edited:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I had some physical therapy for my shoulder. :manny:
I go in and there's this therapist who hasn't been there before. Nothing super hot. Plain jane white woman. A-cups. Then, I'm doing this resistance exercise, she walks over to one of her patients to help her with her leg. Then, I'm looking at her butt and she's got a whooty. :whoo: If I took a pic and posted it here, you would accuse me of photoshopping. That's how much bubble it had.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
:bryan:I'm getting 120+ grams of protein on a great day.

Damn. Y'all destroying that belief that you gotta eat your protein by body weight.

214 pounds and I don't eat anywhere near that in protein due to cutting. I wonder how much bigger I'll be once I'm off the cut and take in about 150 a day instead of 100.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Damn. Y'all destroying that belief that you gotta eat your protein by body weight.

214 pounds and I don't eat anywhere near that in protein due to cutting. I wonder how much bigger I'll be once I'm off the cut and take in about 150 a day instead of 100.
How many cals a day?

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

Four reasons the protein belief exists:

1) Bro science
2) Dogma
3) Steroid abusers need more protein because their body is able to partition it towards muscle building in greater amounts than natural lifters
4) "Too much" is always better than "too little" so people like to play it on the safe side and eat more than normal just in case

I don't want to look up the studies right now so I might be slightly off in my numbers, but I believe that the numbers are 0.8g-1.2g per kg of bodyweight is the range that has held up to scientific scrutiny.

So for you at 214 lbs, the numbers that science tells you for protein would be a range of 77g to 116g per day. You can choose to believe what a magazine or gym bro tells you instead, but understand that they are telling you that because they heard it from a gym bro or magazine who heard it from a gym bro or magazine who heard it from a gym bro or magazine etc etc etc.

I believe the highest scientifically supported number for a natural lifter that I have seen is 1.5g/kg, so that would be 145g for you. The fact of the matter is that our body can only synthesize a certain amount of muscle per day, and adding a ton of protein consumption on top of that usage just flat out does not help.

That being said, I still eat around 180g per day at 165 lbs :skip:. I use reason #4 above.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey

For the record I started last May and am most likely benefitting from "noob gains"

Not hitting the numbers I should be hitting in cals or proteins while biking 20 miles aday and I still have good size, and as the fat comes off I am seeing nice definition.
I know it's only a matter of time before my body gives me the :childplease: and demands more food intake.

Four reasons the protein belief exists:

1) Bro science
2) Dogma
3) Steroid abusers need more protein because their body is able to partition it towards muscle building in greater amounts than natural lifters
4) "Too much" is always better than "too little" so people like to play it on the safe side and eat more than normal just in case

I don't want to look up the studies right now so I might be slightly off in my numbers, but I believe that the numbers are 0.8g-1.2g per kg of bodyweight is the range that has held up to scientific scrutiny.

So for you at 214 lbs, the numbers that science tells you for protein would be a range of 77g to 116g per day. You can choose to believe what a magazine or gym bro tells you instead, but understand that they are telling you that because they heard it from a gym bro or magazine who heard it from a gym bro or magazine who heard it from a gym bro or magazine etc etc etc.

I believe the highest scientifically supported number for a natural lifter that I have seen is 1.5g/kg, so that would be 145g for you. The fact of the matter is that our body can only synthesize a certain amount of muscle per day, and adding a ton of protein consumption on top of that usage just flat out does not help.

That being said, I still eat around 180g per day at 165 lbs :skip:. I use reason #4 above.

This post was extremely reassuring to both my mind state and the future of my wallet. I was dreading having to eventually eat 200 grams per day - especially when I eat 70% organic :noah:

Thank you. God willing I'll be where I want to be by the fall and can up my protein to around 150 grams and begin my "bulk".

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I'm gonna preface this by saying that I fully believe that in most pre-workouts, the caffeine is really the only ingredient that really matters. Popping a caffeine pill or drinking a cup of coffee before a workout will get you 90-100% of the same results as any other pre-workout (other than the ones with the borderline illegal stimulants of course).

That being said, as a social experiment I decided to try out what some call the best pre-workout on the market. It is dumb-expensive so I would never use it regularly, but I got it out of curiousity:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/jym/pre-jym.html

I've been taking a pre-workout and adding BCAA's already and am rather tolerant to them, but I definitely have noticed a difference with this one.

shyt has be focused like a motherfukker (could be the additional 100mg caffeine above what I normally have). shyt has me hot and sweaty as a motherfukker. shyt makes me push so hard when squatting that it feels like my ass is going to explode out of my pants.

Its pretty nice. If you got a little cash to spare, I would recommend giving it a shot. The serving size is :huhldup: though. Them little tiny pre-workout scoops are only 1/4 the size of this one

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I'm gonna preface this by saying that I fully believe that in most pre-workouts, the caffeine is really the only ingredient that really matters. Popping a caffeine pill or drinking a cup of coffee before a workout will get you 90-100% of the same results as any other pre-workout (other than the ones with the borderline illegal stimulants of course).

That being said, as a social experiment I decided to try out what some call the best pre-workout on the market. It is dumb-expensive so I would never use it regularly, but I got it out of curiousity:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/jym/pre-jym.html

I've been taking a pre-workout and adding BCAA's already and am rather tolerant to them, but I definitely have noticed a difference with this one.

shyt has be focused like a motherfukker (could be the additional 100mg caffeine above what I normally have). shyt has me hot and sweaty as a motherfukker. shyt makes me push so hard when squatting that it feels like my ass is going to explode out of my pants.

Its pretty nice. If you got a little cash to spare, I would recommend giving it a shot. The serving size is :huhldup: though. Them little tiny pre-workout scoops are only 1/4 the size of this one
Being doing the same with C4, Assault and a few others.

The suggested serving size does do much to give that tingle people talks about. The pump has been good and it gets me warmed up quicker.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA