Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK

Yeah, I know it sounds weird but it's helped my performance. I've been able to increase my max weight a lot quicker than when I was just going into the gym and hitting the weights straight away. Plus the fat burning from the cardio has helped my definition as well.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
so u stopped cause u didn't get DOMS anymore?

I get DOMS every time, this is what I meant by my comment:

Basically, I wasn't sure that it was really helping me get stronger in any meaningful and efficient way. And that article sort of illustrates my fear....that it was actually merely the high volume of eccentric movement (basically the 'sitting out, squatting' portion of the lift) that was causing days worth of DOMS, but it is not actually being as effective at improving posterior chain strength as something simpler and quicker like deadlifts or glue ham raises could do.

The article mentions that no matter how much you can squat, you will experience DOMS if you do a hundred bodyweight squats simply because your muscles aren't used to the volume of movement, but it isn't making you any stronger. That seems to be what is happening with swings....doing them for high volume is just making me unnecessarily sore.

They are certainly a killer cardio exercise, and they can certainly be done with heavier weights to help with strength, but the same goals can be accomplished in quicker fashion via other means.

semtex

:)
Daps
I get DOMS every time, this is what I meant by my comment:

Basically, I wasn't sure that it was really helping me get stronger in any meaningful and efficient way. And that article sort of illustrates my fear....that it was actually merely the high volume of eccentric movement (basically the 'sitting out, squatting' portion of the lift) that was causing days worth of DOMS, but it is not actually being as effective at improving posterior chain strength as something simpler and quicker like deadlifts or glue ham raises could do.

The article mentions that no matter how much you can squat, you will experience DOMS if you do a hundred bodyweight squats simply because your muscles aren't used to the volume of movement, but it isn't making you any stronger. That seems to be what is happening with swings....doing them for high volume is just making me unnecessarily sore.

They are certainly a killer cardio exercise, and they can certainly be done with heavier weights to help with strength, but the same goals can be accomplished in quicker fashion via other means.
Swings are for speed-strength kind of like cleans. You can also do them from a dead stop, that really smashes the traps

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Swings are for speed-strength kind of like cleans. You can also do them from a dead stop, that really smashes the traps
Glute Ham raises accomplish that better though from what I gather. Your boy Poliquin would seem to agree.

You need a special bench for them though

Last edited:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Im in between sets of Deadlifts...and this cats walks up to me like

Him: excuse me, can you not slam the weights down

This caught me off guard...cuz I really didnt understand why someone would care

Me: :dwillhuh: Why?

Him: Because its shaking the whole gym and its really loud...you cant hear it because of your headphones

Me: :what:

I just went back to racking my weights.

Dude walked off and said "Thank You".
I swear to God the rest of my workout I was slamming everything in site...I swear I hate Saturdays :snoop:

Felt like Chris Jones in that muthafuka

semtex

:)
Daps
Glute Ham raises accomplish that better though from what I gather. Your body Poliquin would seem to agree.

You need a special bench for them though
I've never tried those. You can do them without equipment but you have to brace your feet somehow. There are vids online

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
Im in between sets of Deadlifts...and this cats walks up to me like

Him: excuse me, can you not slam the weights down

This caught me off guard...cuz I really didnt understand why someone would care

Me: :dwillhuh: Why?

Him: Because its shaking the whole gym and its really loud...you cant hear it because of your headphones

Me: :what:

I just went back to racking my weights.

Dude walked off and said "Thank You".
I swear to God the rest of my workout I was slamming everything in site...I swear I hate Saturdays :snoop:

Felt like Chris Jones in that muthafuka

How much were you deadlifting? The nikka that slams or grunt with light weight is annoying. :patrice: Regardless, interrupting a man while he is deadlifting is :pacspit::pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:worthy.

Went to go get my 6 month STD checkup and had a gay nurse who just started that week. :snoop: I just so happened to come in with a tank top. :skip:

"I know you must workout legs and upper body." :steviej:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
How much were you deadlifting? The nikka that slams or grunt with light weight is annoying. :patrice: Regardless, interrupting a man while he is deadlifting is :pacspit::pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:worthy.

Went to go get my 6 month STD checkup and had a gay nurse who just started that week. :snoop: I just so happened to come in with a tank top. :skip:

"I know you must workout legs and upper body." :steviej:
:mjlol:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet

"I know you must workout legs and upper body."
:steviej:
:russ:

I was doing like 405...im a naturally loud person :skip: