Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
She can run all she wants but if she is eating too much it won't matter.
say she continues to stay on her current diet.. .doesnt add more calories or eat less calories... wouldnt she ultimitaly lose wieght?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
No bullshyt, I try and usually succeed in staying at around 2000 a day (I count most what I eat, and what I can't count, I add up the cals of ingredients). The only day that I kinda relax is Saturday. That's usually when I hang out with peeps or chill with my lady. And even on those days, I'm pretty vigilant about what I consume. Still no soda or sweets or anything.

And yeah, that's what my homie who has his PT certs says. I can't help but admit it fukks with my psyche though when the number goes up and I'm borderline obsessive over this stuff, ya know?
I understand the mind-fukk of it all. Keep in mind the minute you introduced weight training you are forcing your body into a different reaction then cardio based exercise. It's newbie gains and I would ride it until the wheels fall off.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
No bullshyt, I try and usually succeed in staying at around 2000 a day (I count most what I eat, and what I can't count, I add up the cals of ingredients). The only day that I kinda relax is Saturday. That's usually when I hang out with peeps or chill with my lady. And even on those days, I'm pretty vigilant about what I consume. Still no soda or sweets or anything.

And yeah, that's what my homie who has his PT certs says. I can't help but admit it fukks with my psyche though when the number goes up and I'm borderline obsessive over this stuff, ya know?
You posted this as I was typing my response.

My answer is simple. Look at #4 on my list. You aren't eating very many calories, your body needs a re-charge. 2000 calories is the very bottom of what I consider to be a good calorie count for an active young male.

Add in cardio on your non-weight lifting days and increase your calories to 2300. It will work.

And don't pay too much attention to the number on the scale, pay more attention to your abs because they are a good judge of your bodyfat level. Are your abs more or less pronounced in the morning when you wake up? Mirrors and waist size are better than scales when you are already skinny.

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
You say you count everything, tell me what your daily number is. Saying "most days" is troubling.

Your body's calorie expenditure will drop after long enough on a diet due to a slowing of your metabolism. What may have caused you to lose a pound per week in the past may have morphed into a smaller deficit now, maybe 200-300 calories per day. Just one or two days per week of overeating can wipe out that entire weekly deficit

You have 4 options:

1) Be more consistent. Eat at a calorie defecit always. On days where you may want to go out to eat with friends or go to a bar drinking, don't eat much before then so if you end up consuming a huge 1500 calorie meal, makure sure you didn't eat much the rest of the day

2) Drop your calories further. A 200-300 calorie drop may be enough to kickstart your fat loss

3) Increase your activity level. Sounds like you do a lot already, you may not be able to

4) Re-charge your metabolism by increasing your calories for a couple weeks. Lets say you are eating 2200 calories per day and no longer losing weight. Try bumping up to 2700 for 2 weeks then drop back down to 2200. Get your body the energy it craves, stop making it feel like it needs to hold onto whatever fat is left
I would say about 2000 everyday except Saturdays during which I tend to relax, but not too much. And kinda like you suggested, if I know that there's a chance I'm going to eat and drink shyt, I'll cool it during the day. I'll try your advice about taking in extra cals for a few weeks since last time I plateaued, I tried that and it worked. I just was wondering how it'd be different since I'm now lifting in addition to just biking and stuff.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
say she continues to stay on her current diet.. .doesnt add more calories or eat less calories... wouldnt she ultimitaly lose wieght?
Can't really say because she could be eating over her level of maintanice calories and basically break even with exercising.

Until she gets a baseline of what she needs to consume, what she consumes and spends a few week confirming results it could go either way.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Can't really say because she could be eating over her level of maintanice calories and basically break even with exercising.

Until she gets a baseline of what she needs to consume, what she consumes and spends a few week confirming results it could go either way.
ya i understand... she can over eat some days but also can under eat some days... all in all in does cause trouble with the numbers,

say she does get a baseline... how should she start on the treadmill.... how many calories should she burn on there from the start and so on.

King Crimson

Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
I understand the mind-fukk of it all. Keep in mind the minute you introduced weight training you are forcing your body into a different reaction then cardio based exercise. It's newbie gains and I would ride it until the wheels fall off.
Yeah, I most definitely will. Good look, Breh.

You posted this as I was typing my response.

My answer is simple. Look at #4 on my list. You aren't eating very many calories, your body needs a re-charge. 2000 calories is the very bottom of what I consider to be a good calorie count for an active young male.

Add in cardio on your non-weight lifting days and increase your calories to 2300. It will work.

And don't pay too much attention to the number on the scale, pay more attention to your abs because they are a good judge of your bodyfat level. Are your abs more or less pronounced in the morning when you wake up? Mirrors and waist size are better than scales when you are already skinny.
Thanks, Breh. The mirror and waistline tell the tale, which is why it's puzzling to see the numbers. You're right though. I will increase my cals for about 2-3 weeks, while I keep my activity up then cut the cals again, right?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
ya i understand... she can over eat some days but also can under eat some days... all in all in does cause trouble with the numbers,

say she does get a baseline... how should she start on the treadmill.... how many calories should she burn on there from the start and so on.
Personally I wouldn't look at the exercise as the method to lose weight. It needs to be nutrition based. Those machine aren't accurate in tracking calories burned. Look at it as an enhancers to eating generally "well".

Strict cardio like treadmills is only going to lead certain results and there is some thought it hampers weight loss/body composition in women.

She does need to start somewhere but eventually her methods need to improve to see continuos improvement.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Yeah, I most definitely will. Good look, Breh.

Thanks, Breh. The mirror and waistline tell the tale, which is why it's puzzling to see the numbers. You're right though. I will increase my cals for about 2-3 weeks, while I keep my activity up then cut the cals again, right?

Yes, me personally I would increase to 2700 for 2 weeks, then I would cut to 2300 for a month or so, then I would consider dropping down to 2000.

2000 is a 'last resort' for me if I'm trying to get to sub-10% bodyfat. Not only does your metabolism slow drastically once you start getting any lower than that, but your energy levels during your workouts drop and you won't work out as intensely, thus you won't burn as many calories

King Crimson

Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Yes, me personally I would increase to 2700 for 2 weeks, then I would cut to 2300 for a month or so, then I would consider dropping down to 2000.

2000 is a 'last resort' for me if I'm trying to get to sub-10% bodyfat. Not only does your metabolism slow drastically once you start getting any lower than that, but your energy levels during your workouts drop and you won't work out as intensely, thus you won't burn as many calories
I most definitely will do this.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Pull-throughs are pretty nice when you cant deadlift :ehh:

Should be a staple for woman :whew:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
So I've cut down to where I want.

I'm 5'10" and fairly lean. Chest is ok, upper arms have veins starting to show, legs are a genetic plus.....but mid-section is a struggle though :sadcam:

Trying to decide on next step as far as diet is concerned.

I've been cutting on around 70F/300C/200P for the last couple months.........now what?

Taking a few days off any diet...not going crazy though...and will restart next week.

Anyone hit this point in their training? What was your next step?

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
So I've cut down to where I want.

I'm 5'10" and fairly lean. Chest is ok, upper arms have veins starting to show, legs are a genetic plus.....but mid-section is a struggle though :sadcam:

Trying to decide on next step as far as diet is concerned.

I've been cutting on around 70F/300C/200P for the last couple months.........now what?

Taking a few days off any diet...not going crazy though...and will restart next week.

Anyone hit this point in their training? What was your next step?
Thats over 2500 calories per day, you have plenty room to drop further.

You may not wanna do this, but Im tellin you 3 weeks at 2200 calories plus an EC stack and you are gonna be loving it

EC stack will preserve that muscle you wanna keep as your calories continue to dip

Food for thought. Seeing them abs is addicting:whew:

• Dap
Reactions: HHR