Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
I got a torn labrum fixed over a year ago.
A couple of months ago, I was playing hockey and I think I got injured again with something different.

Should be able to lift moderate weight in the future though, right? Same shoulder? :whoo:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Looks like I'll be going for some arthroscopic surgery for my shoulder again.

Hate it had to be you.

How protective of it were you after surgery? It's been a year and a half since mine and I still coddle it like a new born. :pachaha:

Read any Kelly Starret stuff? His advice helped iron out the little kinks after the initial rehab period for me. Second to none as far as preventative care goes, IMO :ehh:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Hate it had to be you.

How protective of it were you after surgery? It's been a year and a half since mine and I still coddle it like a new born. :pachaha:

Read any Kelly Starret stuff? His advice helped iron out the little kinks after the initial rehab period for me. Second to none as far as preventative care goes, IMO :ehh:
I was pretty careful. After I was cleared to get back to doing normal stuff, I started pushing it weight lifting wise. But it was starting to hurt so I took about three months off. Then when I got back into it, there was no pain.
I play ice hockey and I think that's how I reinjured myself. It didn't hurt later on though. It was that or when I did front squats. I think I put too much resistance on my shoulders trying to hold the barbell up and things started to hurt after that.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I don't know why it took me this long to realize that I'm too young to be flabby n sick. I start the gym today.

I was in the same boat fam.....was always 180-ish in high school, then at about 25 I just realized I was like 240....no idea what had happened.

Back to 190 and decently cut now :wow:

Do yourself a favor, take a "before" picture. I don't have any and I regret it all the time lol.

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
I was getting bored with cardio and I just didn't feel I was putting in the intensity for it so I took a couple spin classes the past week and man I was sweating up a storm :whew:

The instructor looked pretty fine too :shaq:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
How in the hell do two sets of battle ropes disappear from a gym? I couldn't finish my normal routine the right way.

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
They're bad for your knee and have minimal benefit.

T NATION | Truth About Leg Extensions

Long read, but good.

Cliff Notes version
Closing Thoughts

Let's take a step back and examine our risk-to-benefit situation now:

Leg Extension Risks:

1. Increased patellofemoral joint reaction force, knee movement, and joint stress in the most commonly used range of motion.

2. Reduced hamstrings activity.

3. Reduced VMO activity and late onset of firing.

4. Non-existent hip adductor and abductor contribution.

5. Increased rectus femoris firing.

6. Constant ACL tension.

7. Higher patellar ligament, quadriceps tendon, and patellofemoral and tibiofemoral forces with the most commonly utilized loading parameters.

8. Increased lateral patellar deviation.

9. Insufficient involvement of surrounding joints to ensure optimal functioning.

10. Poor training economy (no carryover to closed-chain performance from open-chain exercises).

Leg Extension Benefits:

1. Will give you a good pump, but not even close to the benefits you'll get from squatting and single-leg movements.

2. Uh, wait, there's really only one benefit — and it's pretty weak.

Whether you're a patient or not, the take-home message is the same: if you want more bang for your training buck you should be squatting, not doing leg extensions. Factor in the additional loading that squatting allows, and it should come as no surprise that you'll see better gains in size, strength, and functional capacity.​
Lee haney and Arnold said they cool who the fukk are you :camby:

On another note rehabbing my knee leg press and extensions are getting me back to squating.

I even added 50 lbs to hack squats but that shyt hurt so good.

My goal is in about a month I can start squating.

Last edited: