Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
The new owner at the renovated gym came up to us and banned us from dead-lifting. Came just right up after I set a PR. :skip:

Slamming weights and grunting aren't allowed.."positive and friendly environment". :what:

Dropped a fukking weight on my ankle as well..shyt is sore to walk on and to bend. :pacspit:

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Am I the only person who never barbell benches?

Not that I have anything against bench or doubt its greatness, but I have always avoided it because of the need for a spotter when going to failure. Only exercise that I will do that requires a spotter at failure is squats, but those have an easier bail out option.

Thinking to start a thread on this.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO FAILURE TO MAKE GAINS.

In my experience, you actually make better gains when you don't. You leave more gas in your CNS meaning you can lift more weight for more reps across sets.

As soon as you push to failure (as in you give everything for that extra rep win or lose) you lose A LOT of strength for the next set. Where as if you stop 1 or 2 reps before that you'll retain most of your strength. Which means you'll be able to do more reps across your sets.

That's why I like to use the same weight across sets, with the aim of achieving a defined number of reps on the last set. So whether that's a 5x5, 8x8, 3x8 whatever... while your working hard on that first set it's only really the last few sets you might approach failure.

However that means working in 70-90% of your 1 rep max and a lot of people don't like that.

If you lift weights more than x3 I would suggest you don't train to failure often. As soon as I stopped going to failure so often, I stopped picking up injuries and actually made faster gains.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Front Squats: 185-2x8, 205 1x5 and 1x3
Back Squats: 295-1x8, 305 1x8, 315 2x6, 325 1x4 (struggle reps)
MTS Leg Curls: 120 3x8, per leg
Single Leg Press: 2 plates per side 40 in the middle 3x10
SLDL: 135 1x12, 155 1x12, 175 1x10, 185 1x8
Wall Chairs with a 25, 5 rounds 30 seconds with 35 second rest

:dead:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

In my experience, you actually make better gains when you don't. You leave more gas in your CNS meaning you can lift more weight for more reps across sets.

As soon as you push to failure (as in you give everything for that extra rep win or lose) you lose A LOT of strength for the next set. Where as if you stop 1 or 2 reps before that you'll retain most of your strength. Which means you'll be able to do more reps across your sets.

That's why I like to use the same weight across sets, with the aim of achieving a defined number of reps on the last set. So whether that's a 5x5, 8x8, 3x8 whatever... while your working hard on that first set it's only really the last few sets you might approach failure.

However that means working in 70-90% of your 1 rep max and a lot of people don't like that.

If you lift weights more than x3 I would suggest you don't train to failure often. As soon as I stopped going to failure so often, I stopped picking up injuries and actually made faster gains.
I know all of this. Doesn't change the fact that sometimes you misjudge the number of reps you have left in you.

Many times I've said 'one more rep' doing squats and then suddenly had to struggle and destroy my form just to get the weight up. It happens.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
Gonna switch up my rep routine on chest...been doing 8-12 for a minute. Trying to get 315 consistently. :patrice:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
how important is touching your chest on the bench?
I have long monkey arms and only go parallel...I start feeling my shoulders ache when I go lower.

Thinking of just switching to DB pressing.

i have the same problem breh....i dont touch my chest at all...i like continuous tension in my arms and chest

King Koopa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 8-4 and fiery moats
The new owner at the renovated gym came up to us and banned us from dead-lifting. Came just right up after I set a PR. :skip:

Slamming weights and grunting aren't allowed.."positive and friendly environment". :what:

Dropped a fukking weight on my ankle as well..shyt is sore to walk on and to bend. :pacspit:
:dead:...Planet Fitness?

Make a thread bruh...I wanna hear more :lupe:

Edit: Just saw you already made one...

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I know all of this. Doesn't change the fact that sometimes you misjudge the number of reps you have left in you.

Many times I've said 'one more rep' doing squats and then suddenly had to struggle and destroy my form just to get the weight up. It happens.
After a year or longer of weight training, you're going to know 90% of the time if that extra rep is likely.

But you are right, it does happen sometimes. I don't train to failure as a rule of thumb but it happens to me.

LastKING_BLU

last king killing ****
Daps
Reppin
westside
broke my pinky. im probably gunna be out 4-6 weeks. i hope i didnt tear any ligaments or im gunna need surgey:lupe:

goodbye sweet gains :wow: