Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Just below parallel is great. Or at least parallel. Anything less is fugazi unless you are very tight/immobile.

I always say go as low as you naturally can without weight and just do that. If that's ATG or parallel then cool. If it's not parallel - focus on improving your flexibility and strength in knees/weak spots.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
How many of yall are doing these power squats where you go darn near to the floor. Isnt this bad for your knee caps? I was doing some squats and i heard a guy next to me chastizing his friend about how far down he was going with his squats. They werent even going that heavy. I cant imagine wanting to go darn near down to the floor with 305 on your back. I thought you're just supposed to go into chair sitting position and go back up. What is it these friends have to want to crush their knees and make them humble, friends. :sitdown:

I go below parallel/ atg because being as tall as I am it seems to be the only way to properly get my hips back where I need them to keep my knees from floating over my feet, knees are feeling excellent these days. Hitting that depth with your hips on squats translates quite well to sweeps, reversals etc for friends who train to strangle other friends with their gi's

I can usually get 315 for 5 clean reps. Really haven't tried going much heavier than that other than on box squats recently tho

-P-

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
How many of yall are doing these power squats where you go darn near to the floor. Isnt this bad for your knee caps? I was doing some squats and i heard a guy next to me chastizing his friend about how far down he was going with his squats. They werent even going that heavy. I cant imagine wanting to go darn near down to the floor with 305 on your back. I thought you're just supposed to go into chair sitting position and go back up. What is it these friends have to want to crush their knees and make them humble, friends. :sitdown:
No, it is not bad for your knee caps. That's from the power lifting world. Olympic weight lifters are going ATG with huge amounts of weight. When you use knee wraps and do deep squats, that's when you get to scrapping bone off the back of your knee caps. It's bad. Don't use knee wraps.
Take a look at Olympic weight lifting photos of dudes doing the snatch or clean and jerk. Everyone is literally bottoming out.
I don't do ATG. I go parallel.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
My knees are sounding funny. :lupe:

Did strict parallel squats with my 3 or 4RM like four sets then I did the leg press machine and that's when I started hearing the firecracker popping noise. Did some heavy lunges and hamstring curl machines and my knees felt fine. Today at work my legs popped a couple of times when I extended them while sitting...no pain though. :whoa:

And fukk ATG squats more than 60% your max. :flabbynsick:

Edit: I did use knee wraps for the leg extension.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
No, it is not bad for your knee caps. That's from the power lifting world. Olympic weight lifters are going ATG with huge amounts of weight. When you use knee wraps and do deep squats, that's when you get to scrapping bone off the back of your knee caps. It's bad. Don't use knee wraps.
Take a look at Olympic weight lifting photos of dudes doing the snatch or clean and jerk. Everyone is literally bottoming out.
I don't do ATG. I go parallel.
I see. well im going to avoid it because my knees sound like rice crispies when i go all the way down and come up, without weight on my shoulders. :whoo:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Carrot Cake Pancakes today

:ohlawd:

720 Cal
65g P
104g C
6g F

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Carrot Cake Pancakes today

:ohlawd:

720 Cal
65g P
104g C
6g F

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

fsYDU70.gif

-P-

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I go below parallel/ atg because being as tall as I am it seems to be the only way to properly get my hips back where I need them to keep my knees from floating over my feet, knees are feeling excellent these days. Hitting that depth with your hips on squats translates quite well to sweeps, reversals etc for friends who train to strangle other friends with their gi's

I can usually get 315 for 5 clean reps. Really haven't tried going much heavier than that other than on box squats recently tho

-P-

:win:

except for the being tall part :to:

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
just a little friendly advice, dont drink a protein shake before the workout on leg day. when u do squats you'll be farting like crazy and if you are wearing headphones u might not know how much noise they made

or so i heard :lolbron:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I go slightly below parallel. Just hit 3x315. I use knee sleeves.

It's better for your knees to go to parallel at the minimum. Anywhere above that and you get shear forces that do damage. I had knee pains until I started going lower and using sleeves.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Been going skating more this year. I put in nearly 20 hours of skating last week and I'm starting to see and feel the difference in my legs. I'm going to try to get it in this weekend too.

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Bout to hit my first spin class ever tomorrow morning. I already know my legs gone be burning all day tomorrow :damn:
Spin and Yoga are pretty much what I do for legs these days. I can get up to 35 miles in a little over an hour in advanced spin class at LA Fitness

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Spin and Yoga are pretty much what I do for legs these days. I can get up to 35 miles in a little over an hour in advanced spin class at LA Fitness

Well, I gotta try it tomorrow morning. I got back home around 1am, the class started at 5:45, and I had to be at work at 9, knew I wouldn't make it.