Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

semtex

:)
Daps
Went to visit an orthopaedic surgeon for my shoulder. I had surgery on it for a torn labrum two years ago. I recently reinjured it. Might be a loose piece of cartilege. I took it easy for a couple of weeks, but it got worse so I visited my doctor.
Anyway, I have to stop weight lifting or it's going to get worse. :sadbron: I had been weight lifting after surgery, but against the doctor's orders because I have osteoarthritis. Well, I'm only making it worse, which ends up in having to get total shoulder reconstruction. And there's no weight lifting allowed after that. So, I'm going to have to give up the V-shaped back. That's like a major bodybuilding goal I had since I was 20. I'll be working on legs, bicep and tricep. Can't do pull-ups and bench press and stuff where the exercise involves the shoulder in motion.
Doctor was like, well you can run to stay active. I didn't give him the :camby: because he's right. Cool doctor though. He did surgery on a bunch of guys on the Indianapolis Colts and has autographed photos in his office.
This depressed the fukk out of me :patrice: I hope you overcome the odds. If I couldn't lift I'd be distraught.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I aint no doctor and I have no facts to back this up but I remember reading that people with shoulder problems were still able to do chest dips (not wide grip though) without much pain. Dips alone will help a lot with the V shape even if not ideal.

I don't know the extent of your issues though or what range of motion you will possess. Just tossing it out there.
Dips are for the triceps though. It causes a lot of pain though beacuse the ball of the upper arm is rubbing against the cartilege in the socket. I can't be rotating the shoulder with resistance.

Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
Just ordered to an elevation mask to intensify my cardio and workouts. Hopefully it can drastically improve my breathing during Army PT test runs.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
This depressed the fukk out of me :patrice: I hope you overcome the odds. If I couldn't lift I'd be distraught.
My pecs, delts and lats are going to shrink slowly. It's semi-depressing. That's like telling a man to undergo ding-dong reduction surgery.
I'll be focusing on legs and arms though. But, I foresee needing surgery for my pelvis though. I think I have FAI because I've been doing squats for like 20+ years.

bignell

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Damn Breh....How old are you?? I've been benching off and on for 20+ years also...I don't know what I would do if a doctor said i could'nt do any sort of shoulder exercises again..shyt benching has always been my favorite exercise and I've been having shoulder issues for about 8 years now.used to bench 4x a week now I dropped it down to 1 to 2 days tops...I could'nt even sleep on my left side for about a year..hopefully you can come out with a workout regimen were you wont lose all your upper body gains....I feel for ya breh...

bignell

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
My pecs, delts and lats are going to shrink slowly. It's semi-depressing. That's like telling a man to undergo ding-dong reduction surgery.
I'll be focusing on legs and arms though. But, I foresee needing surgery for my pelvis though. I think I have FAI because I've been doing squats for like 20+ years.

Damn Breh....How old are you?? I've been benching off and on for 20+ years also...I don't know what I would do if a doctor said i could'nt do any sort of shoulder exercises again..shyt benching has always been my favorite exercise and I've been having shoulder issues for about 8 years now.used to bench 4x a week now I dropped it down to 1 to 2 days tops...I could'nt even sleep on my left side for about a year..hopefully you can come out with a workout regimen were you wont lose all your upper body gains....I feel for ya breh...

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Dips are for the triceps though. It causes a lot of pain though beacuse the ball of the upper arm is rubbing against the cartilege in the socket. I can't be rotating the shoulder with resistance.

Dips are for a heck of a lot more than triceps when done at a forward leaning angle, triceps become secondary. Chest becomes dominant, and shoulders and back worked too

In terms of your comment about rotating with resistance, that is kind of what I meant by people with shoulder problems using dips. Because when dipping, your shoulder isn't rotating. So for example people with rotator cuff issues from benching switch to dips and feel OK.

Like I said though, your shoulder injury may be more severe and not be relevant to that.

This is what a good chest dip works:

Targeted Muscles Pectoralis Major
Synergists:

Anterior Deltoid
Triceps Brachii
Pectoralis Minor
Rhomboids
Levator Scapulae
Latissimus Dorsi
Teres Major
Stabilizers: Trapezius (lower)

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Dips are for a heck of a lot more than triceps when done at a forward leaning angle, triceps become secondary. Chest becomes dominant, and shoulders and back worked too

In terms of your comment about rotating with resistance, that is kind of what I meant by people with shoulder problems using dips. Because when dipping, your shoulder isn't rotating. So for example people with rotator cuff issues from benching switch to dips and feel OK.

Like I said though, your shoulder injury may be more severe and not be relevant to that.
I had a labral tear that got fixed and he cleaned up the rough cartilege. Well, i see that dips puts pressure on the shoulder froma different angle. Chest and military press are out the door. :sadbron: Same thing with pull-ups and barbell/dumbbell/t-bar rows.
I used to do a lot of dips. I would go deep too, not pansy dips. Best I did was 26 dips at one point

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I'm an old head. Don't want to reveal my exact age, but I've been lifting weights for 25 years.

semtex

:)
Daps
I'm an old head. Don't want to reveal my exact age, but I've been lifting weights for 25 years.
daaaaaamnn :bryan:

I'm trying to pace myself because i plan on doing it for a very long time too. That's why I don't obsess too much on adding too much weight too soon. Hopefully it pays off.

what caused your shoulder injury?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

I'm trying to pace myself because i plan on doing it for a very long time too. That's why I don't obsess too much on adding too much weight too soon. Hopefully it pays off.

I think I tore it a long time ago playing tennis. I threw a racket when I was mad and then I heard a pop and I couldn't do an overhead serve anymore.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

Doctors don't know the cause of osteoarthritis. You have all these professional bodybuilders and pro sports athletes who are in their 40s who don't have it. If you injure your joint, then you might be beginning the process of osteoarthritis in that injured joint.
I was hoping to lift forever, considering it is a low-impact activity. I was laughing at those people into running because they put so much impact on their ankles, knees and hips.
I never achieved one goal, benching over 300 lbs. I did attain one goal, squatting more than twice my weight. In my twenties, I did a one-rep squat for 355 lbs. when I weighed in at 165 lbs. :manny: I know there are bigger records set by powerlifters.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
worked out with my Tommy Kono knee sleeves tonight and it was lovely, was going to get Rehbands but I`ll worry about those when I bulk again next yr the TKs get the job done for the type of weight I`m moving