Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
I got on the scale last night. Turns out I weigh 190 lbs now :merchant:

I'm 6ft1, but I run 25-30 miles a week. Mind you, I haven't weighed myself in a few months and I ran a 1:37 half marathon in Oct that was mostly hills. I was 178 for five years. Before that, I was 161 for ten , including when I ran competitively in high school and in college. My half marathon time last month was actually better when I did one in Monterey six years earlier (when I was 161 lbs)

I don't feel :flabbynsick: I fact, I feel stronger than I've ever been. Been feeling better later during a long run than I have in the beginning and my mile splits have been better than they have in years.

Then again, I think I'm really underestimating how strong I'm really am :wow: All these years of trail running have paid off.

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
I just don't feel comfortable doing deadlifts.
I don't know if I'm at greater risk for back injury because I am tall (6'4) but I think I'd need some training on proper form before even trying to get brave at the gym with that.

I guess I'll give it a shot with really light weight one of these days.

Here's a few pointers with form/ technique when doing Deads... do this to the TEE and you shouldn't have any huge concerns....

•Don’t arch your back (or roll it in the other direction). Keep your abs tight the ENTIRE TIME, and keep your back straight (the guy in video does really good job with this).

•Keep the bar as close to you as possible – almost roll it up your shins until you get to your knees, and then almost roll it up your thighs until you’re upright.

•As you bring it past your knees, don’t think about pulling up with your back, thrust in with your hips (um, that’s what she said? COME ON)

•Keep your head up and chest out as you lift - this will help you keep your back aligned properly.

•As you bring the weight up, you want your legs to straighten out simultaneously as your hips come in completely - form a straight line at the same time with your hips, knees and feet.

Also it helps warming up the lower back region prior to starting your DL's session...lower mobility stretching & light squats (especially front squats) really help with prep work as far as getting lowerback/ posterior chain ready for them big boy pull goes!

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
DO NOT LOOK UP BREH. DO NOT LOOK UP WHEN YOU DO DEADLIFTS. THAT CAN CAUSE INTERCRANIAL PRESSURE AND CAUSE A MAD HEADACHE THAT WILL TAKE WEEKS/MONTHS OR A CHIROPRACTOR TO SORT OUT.

Keep that whole area STRAIGHT. Back/Head = straight.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Great advice on the deadlifts. Thank you.
Giving it a shot this Friday

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Worked on back yesterday. I jogged two miles first. I'm trying to get more cardio in at the beginning.
I think my strength is regressing or I spent up too much energy during my jog. I need to change up my back workout next week.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Worked on back yesterday. I jogged two miles first. I'm trying to get more cardio in at the beginning.
I think my strength is regressing or I spent up too much energy during my jog. I need to change up my back workout next week.
Why do that? I mean I know why but still..............

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Why do that? I mean I know why but still..............
I usually will jog one mile for a warm-up but I thought I would do two to burn more calories. I'm trying to get lean because I got some flab.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Work that into your lifting routine :manny:

Supersets=:dead:
Actually, I have this weird back workout routine that I do, didn't do yesterday though.
I will do 10 pull-ups. Jog a half mile. I repeat that eight times. It's easy in the beginning but gets harder near the end.
Fortunately, there are a ton of treadmills at my gym so I can always hop back on any treadmill in between my pull-ups.