Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
I do pull-ups on a consistent basis. I mix it with underhand narrow grip, overhand wide grip, and v-grip. Of course, your gym will need a v-grip pull-up bar to do that.
They improve lats, biceps and forearms.
Just like anything else, you need to mix up the resistance. If your gym has them, use the weight belt to add resistance so that your reps per set is between 1 to 6 on the heavy days.
When doing pull-ups, extend the arms fully when you are at the bottom of the pull-ups. This allows you to work the long head of the bicep. If you don't, then you won't work the long head as much. For those who subscribe to the constant resistance school of thought, you can keep your elbow flexed with constant bicep flex and not bottoming out, but this mainly works the short head of the bicep. If you want mass, fully extend in order to do the most work per rep.
Cheaters don't get the V, if you know what I mean. :shaq:

The V-shaped back.
I don't care about my bi's, what kind of grip should I be using if I just wanna focus on lats? Really trying to get that V look. Do I just need a really wide grip?

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I don't get how dudes can day they don't care about their ____ muscles :why:

Having a complete physique from head to toe ain't the wave going into 2014 brehs? :what:

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
I don't get how dudes can day they don't care about their ____ muscles :why:

Having a complete physique from head to toe ain't the wave going into 2014 brehs? :what:
if this is directed at my post above yours, I didn't mean I'm neglecting biceps bruh.. I just mean I want to know how to focus strictly on hitting my lats when I do pull-ups.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
@Jerry McGuire but your body is one thing and it's connected to each other. Big lats = big biceps. Big chest = big triceps

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I don't care about my bi's, what kind of grip should I be using if I just wanna focus on lats? Really trying to get that V look. Do I just need a really wide grip?
Actually, any rowing motion exercise, whether it is T-bar row, cable row, dumbbell row, bent-over barbell row, pull-ups, will work the lats. Whether you use narrow grip or wide grip, you are still pulling back either way. The back is made up of one huge muscle slab per side, the left and the right, not multiple muscles bound together like the bicep, tricep or quadricep. It's the largest muscle group in your body. The quadriceps are not the largest unless you add the left and right quads together. You can get wide lats with narrow or wide grip. Switching grips affects how much you are targeting the biceps.
I believe it's a fitness fallacy to say narrow grip works inner back muscles and wide grip works outer back muscles. Have you ever seen someone with buff inner back muscles but narrow lats?

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps

More importantly make sure you angle yourself back a bit (chest towards the sky). Because pulling straight up will use more bicep than anything.

I've always just done regular grip and the V look was accomplished. I also do weighted pull ups which have helped tremendously building size as well. I can do 8 reps now with +55.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
if this is directed at my post above yours, I didn't mean I'm neglecting biceps bruh.. I just mean I want to know how to focus strictly on hitting my lats when I do pull-ups.

I hear you breh. It's good that you're not neglecting anything.

What I said is directed at everyone who says they don't care about certain muscle groups. I find that really strange and ignorant.

Playeroni

Aka Nasty Neighbor #CREEPLIFE
Daps
I do pull-ups on a consistent basis. I mix it with underhand narrow grip, overhand wide grip, and v-grip. Of course, your gym will need a v-grip pull-up bar to do that.
They improve lats, biceps and forearms.
Just like anything else, you need to mix up the resistance. If your gym has them, use the weight belt to add resistance so that your reps per set is between 1 to 6 on the heavy days.
When doing pull-ups, extend the arms fully when you are at the bottom of the pull-ups. This allows you to work the long head of the bicep. If you don't, then you won't work the long head as much. For those who subscribe to the constant resistance school of thought, you can keep your elbow flexed with constant bicep flex and not bottoming out, but this mainly works the short head of the bicep. If you want mass, fully extend in order to do the most work per rep.
Cheaters don't get the V, if you know what I mean. :shaq:

The V-shaped back.
Good looks broski. I've been doing what I said in my first post for 4 days and can see improvements already. My chest wasn't popping like I wanted, did some research, and seen that if your lats are on point, your chest will improve.

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
Two words for you son..... get to 'Foam Rolling' especially post heavy lifting i.e leg day torment. You'll thank me for this down the line!

hip_it_foam_2.jpg

Nah...I'll...I'll just take my pain like a man :patrice:

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
Nah...I'll...I'll just take my pain like a man :patrice:

Suit yourself :ehh: just an FYI using those long spongy cylinders daily will make a world of difference to your recovery time as you progress with the lifting . Here's a a few benefits to hopefully make you reconsider;

Helps prevent common injuries. One of the most important reasons for a regular foam-rolling routine is to prevent those often too common exercise-related injuries. Many runners, for example, become painfully well acquainted with their IT band if they don't take care to massage the band of tissue. IT band syndrome and other similar flare-ups can be caused by too-tight muscles. Foam rolling every day ensures you are massaging away fascia buildup in your muscles, in order to help prevent those areas from becoming injury trigger points.

Helps you de-stress. Had a hard day? Foam roll your worries away. Digging for those knots "releases tension that is built up in the connective tissue to keep you less stressed," says also a simple all-over body routine in order to combat the "desk posture blues" that happen from sitting too long in the office.

Keeps you flexible. Building up your flexibility is key for any fitness routine, which means you constantly should be stretching and doing exercises that'll help you gain flexibility. Stretches that lengthen your hip flexors for example, can help combat tightness from sitting as well as lower back pain.

Last edited: