Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
dead lifting and squatting on the same day is a bytch. i wish stronglifts had more arm shyt. i feel like i got good leg and back gains, but arms are on some :ld: shyt

:russ: i saw a dude doing stiff legged deads in the smith machine
:lupe:

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
dead lifting and squatting on the same day is a bytch. i wish stronglifts had more arm shyt. i feel like i got good leg and back gains, but arms are on some :ld: shyt

Yep had the SAME session yesterday... 4PPS deadlifts got my hamstrings shorter than a leprechaun ROM on Squats. But yeh SL doesn't entail alot of arm work because its not a necessity breh. People don't realise that squatting adds inches to your arm.... when you say that to someone you should see the inquisitive look they give you like WTF is you saying bruh :ohhh: then you gotta school them on some Miyagi mantra :wow:

:scusthov: @ the dude doing RDL's in the smithsonian lol

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Get misdiagnosed with high blood pressure because your biceps are too large for the lil' nikka arm cuff, brehs. :camby:

That's why I can't wait to get my ass back in shape. I remember like two years back a nurse going to take my blood pressure and I swear she came off grabbing my arm. She just lets "ooh my and starts fanning herself then says "it feels like a rock". Then switched up and grabbed the bigger one.

So far down 12 over two and a half weeks of being back home. Did heavy cardio for first week and a half. Started mixing in weights now and staying consistent as hell diet wise minus like 3 bad days. No alcohol or sweets during that time frame. Definitely way weaker on the weights than I had been.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

For triceps, I recommend doing dips. Get as close as possible to bottoming out on the dips for a full range of motion. Then, when you get stronger, or if you already are strong, get a dip belt and start doing dips with plates. Then, you can get to stronglift-ish exercises for your triceps doing one rep max with three or more 45 lbs. plates. The triceps can grow much bigger than the biceps because there are more muscle cells. But you will want to grow your biceps for a proportionate looking arm. I suggest a mix of barbell curls and dumbbell curls on heavy days.
For light weight/high rep days, I suggest cable straight-bar curls. You get a linear amount of resistance through the range of motion and you can evenly and quickly decrease the weight for super sets.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
For triceps, I recommend doing dips. Get as close as possible to bottoming out on the dips for a full range of motion. Then, when you get stronger, or if you already are strong, get a dip belt and start doing dips with plates. Then, you can get to stronglift-ish exercises for your triceps doing one rep max with three or more 45 lbs. plates. The triceps can grow much bigger than the biceps because there are more muscle cells. But you will want to grow your biceps for a proportionate looking arm. I suggest a mix of barbell curls and dumbbell curls on heavy days.
For light weight/high rep days, I suggest cable straight-bar curls. You get a linear amount of resistance through the range of motion and you can evenly and quickly decrease the weight for super sets.
i stopped doing dips because i have/had a shoulder issue. took a break, now my shoulder doesnt hurt as much, but hurts sometimes at random. never hurts while i'm lifting, hurts the day after, like some weird ass form of DOMS. it hurts less now that i've stopped doing military press, chinups, and dips. i was planning on gradually working all of those back into my sessions in about 3 weeks. By then, it will have been a little over 2 months of not doing those.
2nd thing is my triceps get EXTREMELY tight after doing any direct work, even with light weights.. i then have to stretch the shyt out of them, then maybe after 5 minutes i can go back and hit them. my triceps are weird.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Anyone else go for high reps when exercising? I used to be on that 6 reps, 9 sets per muscle. Now I go for 120 reps per muscle now.

semtex

:)
Daps
Anyone else go for high reps when exercising? I used to be on that 6 reps, 9 sets per muscle. Now I go for 120 reps per muscle now.
doc2_medium.gif

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
What's this about squats and arms breh?

Read the following excerpt breh.... Hope you see the logic in this approach to lifting

Quickest way to bigger arms is squatting.

Let me try to explain. Most people don’t make good progress on their arm training for a few reasons. First questions I usually ask are

1. Their Current Nutrition
  2. Their Current Training Program
There is usually a trend with people who have trouble building their arms. For the most part it comes down to a few of the following

• Not getting enough overall calories
  • Doing the same exercises (without enough overload)
  • No Leg Training Focus
See when it comes to building muscle most people can’t see the forrest for the trees. They want bigger arms so they focus ON their arms. This is one of the biggest mistakes you can make!

“IF you want to add an Inch to your arm size add 20lbs of muscle” - Charles Poliquin

HUH? What does that have to do with building bigger arms?

EVERYTHING!

The Testosterone Factor.

Testosterone is pretty much King when it comes to building muscle! No testosterone, no muscle. Add testosterone and magic happens.

Muscle gets built easier, recovery improves, strength goes up. Magic. However what if you don’t want to take testosterone (IE Steroids), how can you get more testosterone so you can get better gains?

The answer is simple. Squatting:

Squatting (or any basic lift for that matter), causes your body to cause stress. In turn your body has a RESPONSE SYSTEM to overcome that stress. One of the byproducts of this stress is your body responding and producing more testosterone. So essentially the “Bang for your buck exercises” Such as Squatting, Deadlifting, Chin Ups, cause a hormonal response in your body, and in turn it produces MORE TESTOSTERONE! Hence MORE MUSCLE.

So if you are not squatting or not hitting the big muscles, your body has no reason to respond, doing bicep curls in the squat rack (and if I see you do this I will choke you out), isn’t causing enough STRESS for you to adapt.

But IF you stopped doing arm curls and started squatting, YOUR ARMS GROW WITHOUT EVEN TRAINING THEM!

Not a bad deal hey!

Another way in which arm growth limitations occur is due to what I like to call a Bottle Neck Effect. Essentially your arms won’t grow IF your legs and other muscle groups won’t grow.

Lets go back to coach Poliquin

“IF you want to add an Inch to your arm size add 20lbs of muscle”

Essentially it comes down to this. For many years now we have been brainwashed with bodypart training. Chest & Arms, or back & biceps. Whatever the flavor of the week in Musclemag is telling us the pros are doing.

Even though this isn’t wrong, it isn’t really correct either. See our body isn’t a bunch of bodyparts thrown together. It is a SYSTEM that is meant to work in unison. Together as a FULL SYSTEM. So our arms cant work as well IF OUR LEGS ARE WEAK. Get bigger legs, we get bigger arms. Get a bigger back, get bigger arms.

But remember by training our little muscles (Biceps, Triceps, Calves) we are NOT GETTING THE Overload and adaptive stress and we get very little growth response.

SO TRAIN YOUR BIG MUSCLES, Small Muscles Grow As A Bonus.

Train Small Muscles, No Bonus

So to summarize if you want to increase your arm size and DO NOT TRAIN YOUR ARMS DO THE FOLLOWING

1. Squat. Make your program based around Squats & Deadlifts
  2. Don’t neglect lagging muscle groups. If your biceps suck hit your forearms and grip strength hard, remove that bottleneck in your training
  3. EAT MORE. Not matter how much your eating if yo are not getting gains you need more food
Now go get yourself some good food, hit the squat rack, forget the bicep pump from high rep training and get strong! Your arms will thank you for it.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Nah squats won't build your arms.

You'll get more from your biceps via pull-ups and rows. Pull compounds >