Quick question, why are black folks so interested in white entertainment when the love isn't mutual

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly aren't those kinda shows that black people seem to get behind, that other blacks make? Would Black people actually go out and watch a mostly black Sci-Fi epic. What about Black Horror Film.

As much as we talk about hollywood not making those kinda films. You can't expect them to spend 150 million on a film with a mostly black cast if they like oh shyt, this is going to lose going head up on the same date The latest Tyler Perry movie drops.

Since Spike Lee's Kickstarter campaign was successful, I'd be curious to see if more black directors can get their films crowdfunded. We may start to see some more "risky" films that way, albeit with fairly modest budgets.

If Hollywood won't support a psychological thriller, an action film, or a Cyberpunk film with a majority black cast, maybe Kickstarter and Indiegogo will.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Well We can't rely on Blacks to support Black films err.....QUALITY black films AND THAT is a key issue as well.

List of the top 10 profitable "Black" Films.

1. Coming To America (1989) $288 Million
2. Bad Boys II (2003) $272 Million
3. Big Momma's House (2000) $173 Million
4. Dreamgirls (2006) $154 Million
5. Bad Boys (1995) $141 Million
6. Big Momma's House 2 (2006) $137 Million
7. Boomerang (1992) $131 Million
8. Ray (2004) $125 Million
9. Little Man (2006) $101 Million
10. Are We There Yet? (2005) $97 Million

marinate on that for a sec. LOL

I just gotta say this though. That's a very poor argument considering the budgets they were working against, the directors, the producers, the distributors, the studio backing and the world wide revenue. It's not a matter of black people support, it's just the fact that they were very successful films (commercially) and the main characters were black.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
IzH0ZXO.jpg

Now you're just deflecting because you know you're wrong and that you've contradicted yourself. YOU started this thread about how white people don't support black shyt. The Butler, which was produced, written, and directed by black people, and has a majority black cast, is #1 in the box office. Now you wanna act like, "well it's only because black people acting subservient to white people," which is not the argument you presented in this thread. Hell, your first post is how white people don't watch fukking LOVE AND HIP-HOP. So you're cool with white people supporting a show where black people act ratchet, but when white people support a movie about black people, it doesn't count anymore? :what:

Nevermind the fact that The Butler is already getting early Oscar buzz.

I understand what he's saying just fine. White people don't support black movies where black characters are empowered. They support films that have us in stereotypical roles (ex. Training Day, Precious), films that have us playing subservient roles (ex. The Help, The Butler), white man's burden type films (ex. Freedom Writers, The Blindside)....the kinda films where black people are sh*t out of luck until the white person comes to save the day :what:

They'll support the fukk out of those muthafukkas. Now a film like Miracle at St. Anna or Red Tails? Where you have a bunch of negros handling business without the help of the white people? Hell nah :comeon: I remember how bad critics/the internet panned Miracle at St. Anna. Until I watched it for myself. It's one of my favorites now :beli:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I just gotta say this though. That's a very poor argument considering the budgets they were working against, the directors, the producers, the distributors, the studio backing and the world wide revenue. It's not a matter of black people support, it's just the fact that they were very successful films (commercially) and the main characters were black.

Well using that logic, What black films can ever be considered a success and what exactly are black people lining up to support.

Tyler Perry the only person with a diehard black audience. and his type of shyt, is the type of shyt the majority of us want an alternative to.

Girl 6 made 5 million dollars.

At some point we have to admit that for whatever reason Black people support comedy and dramas, and hell not really even drama. Unless its TP

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Well using that logic, What black films can ever be considered a success and what exactly are black people lining up to support.

Tyler Perry the only person with a diehard black audience. and his type of shyt, is the type of shyt the majority of us want an alternative to.

Girl 6 made 5 million dollars.

At some point we have to admit that for whatever reason Black people support comedy and dramas, and hell not really even drama. Unless its TP

Well, I don't know man, cause we're not even seen as a demographic that matters. So if there's a movie that has Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay as the director/producer, Paramount Studios is backing it, and there's a black lead it's a sure fire commercial hit. They take chances on us, if we can prove that we're box office successes.

I just don't wanna put my trust in white run media and hope that they put out movies that positively show black people when we can create our own studios, distribution companies etc. and represent ourselves.

P.S The Butler is backed by the Weinstein Company we all know that's why it's getting "Oscar Buzz". It's probably gonna go the same route as SLP did last year. :ld:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I understand what he's saying just fine. White people don't support black movies where black characters are empowered. They support films that have us in stereotypical roles (ex. Training Day, Precious), films that have us playing subservient roles (ex. The Help, The Butler), white man's burden type films (ex. Freedom Writers, The Blindside)....the kinda films where black people are sh*t out of luck until the white person comes to save the day :what:

They'll support the fukk out of those muthafukkas. Now a film like Miracle at St. Anna or Red Tails? Where you have a bunch of negros handling business without the help of the white people? Hell nah :comeon: I remember how bad critics/the internet panned Miracle at St. Anna. Until I watched it for myself. It's one of my favorites now :beli:

I'll give you Miracle at St. Anna because I haven't seen it, but Red Tails got a lot of hate, largely from black people, because of its lead characters (one was an alcoholic, the other was an insubordinate who was lusting after a white woman), and because it wasn't as historically reverent as the old HBO film. Also, it was a piece of shyt.

That said, Red Tails does fit the idea of my earlier post since George Lucas was very clear that this was merely supposed to be a big budget action film with a black cast, and that this would be the closest we'd get to a Star Wars Episode VII (this was before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney). So in that sense, it was intended to be viewed at differently from other black movies we see, but I don't know that audiences knew that or responded well to it.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Honestly aren't those kinda shows that black people seem to get behind, that other blacks make? Would Black people actually go out and watch a mostly black Sci-Fi epic. What about Black Horror Film.

As much as we talk about hollywood not making those kinda films. You can't expect them to spend 150 million on a film with a mostly black cast if they like oh shyt, this is going to lose going head up on the same date The latest Tyler Perry movie drops.

They just have to keep the budget low.

Fruitvale Station was made for under a million. It's made $14 million so far.
Think Like a Man was made for 12 million. It made $96 million.
Jumping the Broom was made for 6.6 million. It made $37 million.
Just Wright was made for 12 million. It made $22 million.
Almost every Tyler Perry flick was made for under 10 million and makes back $30-$50 million.

You can't throw $100 million into a "black" movie because we all know white people won't support it. It is what it is :beli:

Now if studios started taking those small budgets they put towards Black Rom-Coms and put them towards other genres, it could work.

Juno was made for $7 million. Did $231 million at the box office.
Napoleon Dynamite was made for $500,000. Did $46 million at the box office.
Saw was made for $1.2 million. Did $102 million at the box office.
Hostel was made for $4.8 million. Did $80 million at the box office.
The Strangers was made for $9 million. Did $82 million at the box office.
The Purge was made for $3 million. Did $63 million at the box office.
Jason Statham has made a career of indie action flicks. Too many to name.
Looper was made for $30 million. Limitless was made for $27 million....which is alot more than the others but, still relatively cheap (example: Red Tails had a $59 million budget). Looper did $176 million at the box office. Limitless did $161 million.

The model is there. For horror, thriller, action and comedy flicks. They can make black movies of all genres if they stick to indie budgets. Stay far away from big budget blockbusters...

Last edited:

GoPro

EscoBeard Season Has Returned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#CertLife #ITGang
It is my contention(and pretty much universally -accepted fact) that some nikkas like to complain just to complain.

That is all.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin

Almost every Tyler Perry flick was made for under 10 million and makes back $30-$50 million.

You can't throw $100 million into a "black" movie because we all know white people won't support it. It is what it is :beli:

Now if studios started taking those small budgets they put towards Black Rom-Coms and put them towards in other genres, it could work.

Looper was made for $30 million. Limitless was made for $27 million....which is alot more than the others but, still relatively cheap (example: Red Tails had a $59 million budget). Looper did $176 million at the box office. Limitless did $161 million.

The model is there. For horror, thriller, action and comedy flicks. They can make black movies of all genres if they stick to indie budgets. Stay far away from big budget blockbusters...

They better hire non-A Listers then :heh:

Seea

rill rill
Daps
Reppin
Nope.
Here's the thing: look at where you live. Of course there's going to be more Whites represented in media. But you have a choice as to whether you want to watch. Some people still don't know they have a choice, or are so conditioned they will eat up whatever is shoveled to them.

Also, entertainment is entertainment to some of us. Our interests are more diverse than what the public is exposed to. You're still Black whether you watch Big Brother or not; it's a fact of your life that does not change with the weather or the news or the time.

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
I wonder if there's anything on Earth that the coli could not make about race.

Now if studios started taking those small budgets they put towards Black Rom-Coms and put them towards in other genres, it could work.

Jason Statham has made a career of indie action flicks. Too many to name.

nikka... :lawd:

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Its true that white people dont really fukk with movies/tv shows starring minorities outside the odd one here or there. However Im curious as to what the OP's solution is. Stop watching TV altogether? Who's being affected if I stop watching a show I enjoy besides myself?

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what: now I know you white

the hell does being dark skin have to do with anything....you think that shyt gives you some extra powers nikka :stopitslime:

only a cac would make such a comment.......the realest nikkas ever were light skin.....Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, etc......while almost every big time c00n is dark skin......see Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson

:mjpls:
Don Lemon refutes that theory.
So does pastor manning.
:mjpls: