Quick question, why are black folks so interested in white entertainment when the love isn't mutual

bsmooth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Go to a concert, a black artist is much, much more likely to have a mixed crowd than a white artist regardless of whatever genre it is.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Bullshyt, I don't believe in that type of stuff especially considering how anti-black these other "people of color" are. It's sickening. Then they wanna join in with whitey and appropriate our culture and spew some racist ass shyt. We lack funding, we don't lack the support. If you're not catering to the white man, there's a fat chance your shyt's gonna be put on. shyt's hard as hell if you're tryna tell your story especially if it's in cinema. You gotta pitch your shyt to studios that'll tell you to come back and make the focal point a white person. Unless we start making our own studios, distribution companies, etc. then nothing's gonna change. We need to hold positions of power so we can control our image in cinema, television, and other platforms of media and art.

Ultimately WHAT race of people put those Idea's about blacks in those peoples heads?

But I agree with the rest, I just feel it would be helpful to band together because we all want the same thing.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Ultimately WHAT race of people put those Idea's about blacks in those peoples heads?

But I agree with the rest, I just feel it would be helpful to band together because we all want the same thing.
I just think we can't rely on whitey to put out positive images of us and equal representation, we must hold positions of power ourselves in order for that to happen.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Look at how epic the ending of Spartacus was :damn:

You mean to tell me out of all the execs/agents/writers in Hollywood, no one can see the potential in making a series like this but on Egypt?

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:snoop: White people will never get it

IzH0ZXO.jpg

Now you're just deflecting because you know you're wrong and that you've contradicted yourself. YOU started this thread about how white people don't support black shyt. The Butler, which was produced, written, and directed by black people, and has a majority black cast, is #1 in the box office. Now you wanna act like, "well it's only because black people acting subservient to white people," which is not the argument you presented in this thread. Hell, your first post is how white people don't watch fukking LOVE AND HIP-HOP. So you're cool with white people supporting a show where black people act ratchet, but when white people support a movie about black people, it doesn't count anymore? :what:

Nevermind the fact that The Butler is already getting early Oscar buzz.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No offence breh but you point is actually incorrect.

Maybe a week ago you could have said all of that. THE BIGGEST black supported, funded and created Youtube Series Awkward Black Girl JUST got picked up by HBO.

So yes they do have support that otherwise a network like HBO wouldn't have picked them up. Let's hope this is a point in the right direction and other networks start following suit.
I looked up the series. Only saw one video that hit a mil. the first episode:bryan: . I mean even semi popular anime series can do numbers over or around that and that's about a niche as you can ask for. The exception proving the rule. Though if it got picked up, that's at least a start. I wonder how it'll do. Still let's be real, this is a far cry from the creativity or diversity the thread originally called for. seems like yet another black drama, just with more savy and less ratchet.

Unwritten Rules is another black made and black supported Youtube series which is in talks with networks. Before the internet and social media no-one wanted to hear these people or give them a chance but finally networks are listening to them and giving them a chance.

Now your point about what the average black viewer actually likes to watch ,that wasn't what I was talking about. I was responding to the point of the 'black people don't make good shyt'. The black writers are making good shyt.

Why black people like 'ratchet' things is a completely different topic maybe we will make another thread for that.

@ bold understand that, but unfortunately the two points are connected. if they can't make money then the black writers are going to pool their brainpower on another drama or reality show cause that's what sells.

Though the underlined got me thinking. It really reminds me of the rap game, how the white execs pushed an image of black folks and black entertainment by only signing thugs and drug dealing rappers. like if the internet never existed would honest down to earth rap acts like Kendrick, drake, cole etc ever had got on? or would there just be more walking stereotypes and caricatures of black culture dominating the airwaves? When they were trying to get on the regular way the execs were telling them to either run with the hood image or make pop tunes. the internet gave a voice back to the people :blessed:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I just think we can't rely on whitey to put out positive images of us and equal representation, we must hold positions of power ourselves in order for that to happen.

Well We can't rely on Blacks to support Black films err.....QUALITY black films AND THAT is a key issue as well.

List of the top 10 profitable "Black" Films.

1. Coming To America (1989) $288 Million
2. Bad Boys II (2003) $272 Million
3. Big Momma's House (2000) $173 Million
4. Dreamgirls (2006) $154 Million
5. Bad Boys (1995) $141 Million
6. Big Momma's House 2 (2006) $137 Million
7. Boomerang (1992) $131 Million
8. Ray (2004) $125 Million
9. Little Man (2006) $101 Million
10. Are We There Yet? (2005) $97 Million

marinate on that for a sec. LOL

NY's #1 Draft Pick

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black shows from back in the day ie Martin ,fresh prince, family matters>>>>>> all the shyt they got on these days.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Well We can't rely on Blacks to support Black films err.....QUALITY black films AND THAT is a key issue as well.

List of the top 10 profitable "Black" Films.

1. Coming To America (1989) $288 Million
2. Bad Boys II (2003) $272 Million
3. Big Momma's House (2000) $173 Million
4. Dreamgirls (2006) $154 Million
5. Bad Boys (1995) $141 Million
6. Big Momma's House 2 (2006) $137 Million
7. Boomerang (1992) $131 Million
8. Ray (2004) $125 Million
9. Little Man (2006) $101 Million
10. Are We There Yet? (2005) $97 Million

marinate on that for a sec. LOL

:usure:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I looked up the series. Only saw one video that hit a mil. the first episode:bryan: . I mean even semi popular anime series can do numbers over or around that and that's about a niche as you can ask for. The exception proving the rule. Though if it got picked up, that's at least a start. I wonder how it'll do. Still let's be real, this is a far cry from the creativity or diversity the thread originally called for. seems like yet another black drama, just with more savy and less ratchet.

@ bold understand that, but unfortunately the two points are connected. if they can't make money then the black writers are going to pool their brainpower on another drama or reality show cause that's what sells.

Though the underlined got me thinking. It really reminds me of the rap game, how the white execs pushed an image of black folks and black entertainment by only signing thugs and drug dealing rappers. like if the internet never existed would honest down to earth rap acts like Kendrick, drake, cole etc ever had got on? or would there just be more walking stereotypes and caricatures of black culture dominating the airwaves? When they were trying to get on the regular way the execs were telling them to either run with the hood image or make pop tunes. the internet gave a voice back to the people :blessed:

Honestly aren't those kinda shows that black people seem to get behind, that other blacks make? Would Black people actually go out and watch a mostly black Sci-Fi epic. What about Black Horror Film.

As much as we talk about hollywood not making those kinda films. You can't expect them to spend 150 million on a film with a mostly black cast if they like oh shyt, this is going to lose going head up on the same date The latest Tyler Perry movie drops.