Quick question, why are black folks so interested in white entertainment when the love isn't mutual

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
No offence breh but you point is actually incorrect.

Maybe a week ago you could have said all of that. THE BIGGEST black supported, funded and created Youtube Series Awkward Black Girl JUST got picked up by HBO.

So yes they do have support that otherwise a network like HBO wouldn't have picked them up. Let's hope this is a point in the right direction and other networks start following suit.

Unwritten Rules is another black made and black supported Youtube series which is in talks with networks. Before the internet and social media no-one wanted to hear these people or give them a chance but finally networks are listening to them and giving them a chance.

Now your point about what the average black viewer actually likes to watch ,that wasn't what I was talking about. I was responding to the point of the 'black people don't make good shyt'. The black writers are making good shyt.

Why black people like 'ratchet' things is a completely different topic maybe we will make another thread for that.

I have never heard of that Youtube series in my life prior to reading this statement, but looking at the title alone, I can see it was made by a bw, for bw, and it will hold white supramacist beliefs, so I can see WHY this was picked up by one of the white establishments.

And sure enough, after a quick google and wiki search I can see why HBO would pick this up: She leaves her black boyfriend for a cac. :pacspit:

See this is what I meant, be VERY leery of what white people support. They will support this film not only because of the cac/bw romance, but because of the subtle white supremacist message, show-casing that white men are superior and more charming then black men. :pacspit:

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Damn, what happened to black pride. Nevermind you prolly white anyway, no need to comment.
How can you say "black pride" while you support the garbage Tyler Ferry puts out?

So this means you support ANY black publication, editorial, or filming that a black person make, regardless if its c00nery or buffoonery??

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Why are you mad for? Whether he's white or not, he's right. Black entertainment fukking sucks in this country. What kind of person wants to watch the bullsh*t black shows you named in your OP? Everything we put on tv is rachet, "my man is cheating on me" garbage. The sad truth is, we aren't on that level, and we'll probably never will.
This.

BLacks have to live with what THEY want us to see. We don't even have the power to show what IS GOOD for us. Something that is aspiring, educational, and empowering.

We have resorted for the white man to greenlight projects instead of us producing and distributing ourselves.

Sad state of affairs we live in.

ch15x

Mountaineer
Daps
Reppin
TN (east)
Outside of sports, certain flicks, and docs, I haven't touched TV in years (minus syndicated shows). Black folk (as I see w/ YouTube examples) should continue to embrace alternate media outside of TV. TV as a medium isn't the sole basis as it used to be prior to the digital age. Plus, it's all about content. Obviously, I can't relate to the ratchetness while the rest of TV is unbearable. There's way too many ideas (that don't involve typical H-wood shticks) to not have a plethora of movies, books, and other media, whether on the airwaves on the net. I used to frequent a message board hosted by http://www.blacksuperhero.com/. They had quite a few artists, storytellers, and such that went into sci-fi, comics, and other genres. There's a sizable pool out there waiting to be tapped. It's a matter of reaching them and distributing the material...:obama:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Outside of sports, certain flicks, and docs, I haven't touched TV in years (minus syndicated shows). Black folk (as I see w/ YouTube examples) should continue to embrace alternate media outside of TV. TV as a medium isn't the sole basis as it used to be prior to the digital age. Plus, it's all about content. Obviously, I can't relate to the ratchetness while the rest of TV is unbearable. There's way too many ideas (that don't involve typical H-wood shticks) to not have a plethora of movies, books, and other media, whether on the airwaves on the net. I used to frequent a message board hosted by http://www.blacksuperhero.com/. They had quite a few artists, storytellers, and such that went into sci-fi, comics, and other genres. There's a sizable pool out there waiting to be tapped. It's a matter of reaching them and distributing the material...:obama:

But will that equate to sales. Sure there are black comic writers, artist and storytellers. But do we WANT that. Looking at the success of Black films people support they are ALL basically the same shyt. Even if its not ratchet. Its the same 8 black faces from every other successful non ratchet movie. we are 13% of the population, so if you are a comic book writer how big your base REALLY. lets say 10% of blacks read comics. are all 10% going to support your product. What about Artist, lets say 7% of black people like "art" well what percentage is going to actually purchase it. There are a lot of problems involved that there really aren't answers for ESPECIALLY considering Whites don't buy Black Art, Black Comics Etc... That is why it is essential we make stories and use characters that APPEAL to POC. because we have a much better chance building within our own communities.

Deetee

Notorious Lurker
Daps
Reppin
T.Dot
:what: now I know you white

the hell does being dark skin have to do with anything....you think that shyt gives you some extra powers nikka :stopitslime:

only a cac would make such a comment.......the realest nikkas ever were light skin.....Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, etc......while almost every big time c00n is dark skin......see Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson
:usure:

ch15x

Mountaineer
Daps
Reppin
TN (east)
That is why it is essential we make stories and use characters that APPEAL to POC. because we have a much better chance building within our own communities.

This piggy-backs on this digital age avenue. If were going the POC route, global networking is must! That minority tag is touching the bushes as tech is a game changer. Getting in touch and collaborating with folks from here to the Caribbean, South America, the continent, etc. opens new worlds. It'll take a mix of sales, investments, and interest if were tackling monetary goals as a means of success. Otherwise, just seeing positive images can spawn serious ideas and innovation. Access to information is also key, since mainstream avenues are a no-go (canttrussit). It'll take time and effort (past efforts are templates), but it can work. :obama:

iaknet8m

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe we should start a "Independent Black Entertainment" thread or something? A lot of people didn't know about even Awkward Black Girl, so it would be cool if there was a place we could go to find out about cool new projects/kickstarters that need funding and hype. if we promoted these kind of quality shows on our own and prove they can be a success, then the variety we want will start to show up.

Good shows are good shows though, and I'm gonna keep watching them, no matter what race is putting it out. Though this is an important discussion to have, because its true that black artists/creators need our support and we could do better in that regard.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Props man I watch the whole hello cupid season in one swoop and will check the other ones out also. I saw them two chicks and I got got but I liked it. I honestly didn't know cats was doing it like this on YouTube will definitely check out more from black and sexy and other black shows on there. This is what I'm talking about though when cats got the shytload of excuses about why they can't make it. Cats ain't trying to hear what you saying fukk it put it out yourself and make your own moves. That's why it's no excuse for blacks not to be able to do things like this in almost every field. shyt make me proud like I was behind it.