Question: Whats the difference between a casual gamer and a ‘hardcore’ gamer?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Is it just the amount of hours you play games? A causal may only play a few hours of games a week, versus someone that plays year round.

I’ve heard someone that plays something like dark souls or elden ring described as a hardcore gamer but they only played 200 hours of games that year, versus someone that plays FIFA or Warzone that put in 3000 hours a year. What about the person that has like 5000 hours in Marvel Snap and spent over 1000 dollars on it? Where do they fall into the equation?

When people describe casuals they always describe them as multiplayer type gamers that stick to franchises, but isn’t that kind of apply to people who only play pokemon or souls games also?

Im not really sure what the distinction is anymore… I feel like everyone is playing games.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always saw hardcore gamers as someone that plays games across all genres/platforms.
And usually play games on the hardest setting. Casual gamers are not grinding out camos in COD. They just play the game recreationally.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
And usually play games on the hardest setting. Casual gamers are not grinding out camos in COD. They just play the game recreationally.
Nah difficulty doesn’t matter to me. To experience the game in general from beginning to end is enough

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nah difficulty doesn’t matter to me. To experience the game in general from beginning to end is enough

So if someone plays every game on very easy/story mode you’d consider them a ‘hardcore’ gamer?

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Both have negative connotations from the other's perspective. To a hardcore gamer, a casual gamer is not a "real" gamer. To a casual videogame player, a hardcore gamer is akin to a nerd who leaves no stone unturned in a game. They're elitists who play on the hardest difficulties and look down on those who don't.

Maybe the hardcore gamer play more indie games than a casual gamer does. I'd imagine it's similar to a "film snob" who watches a bunch of indie movies that only critics see, like shyt that gets Oscar nominations, while the casual moviegoer sticks with the Blockbusters. A film snob might be like "that's not real cinema. You need to expand your palate."

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I would call that being a gaming enthusiast not a hardcore gamer imo

So, whats the difference between a enthusiast and a ‘hardcore’ gamer?

Enthusiast are just more involved in the overall culture of gaming im assuming, and a hardcore gamer is the dude that wants to just break the Pac-Man world record?

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don't think those terms work these days since gaming is a mainstream form of entertainment. Back in the day casuals were people that played mainly sports games, shooters, and whatever the very popular game at the time. On the other hand, hardcore gamers were considered people that played RPGs, action, single player fps, stealth, etc. These days you have people playing many different genres and you can probably thank stuff like PS+, gamepass, and social media hyping up games. I think the lines between casual and hardcore is blurred, but I guess you can consider hardcore gamers are people that consume gaming news frequently and are in tune with upcoming games and industry moves.

Last edited: