Question: Whats the difference between a casual gamer and a ‘hardcore’ gamer?

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
Trying to go for 100% achievements, outfits, weapons, dialogue, skins, weapon camos, etc. Maybe participate in gaming tournaments. Multiple games across multiple genres. Multiple consoles spanning generations. Complete mastery of 1 game, character moveset, or more.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Trying to go for 100% achievements, outfits, weapons, dialogue, skins, weapon camos, etc. Maybe participate in gaming tournaments. Multiple games across multiple genres. Multiple consoles spanning generations. Complete mastery of 1 game, character moveset, or more.

The competition aspect is interesting, because people don’t lump multiplayer people into ‘hardcore’ or ‘enthusiast’ terms but e-sports are all comprised of gamers that are on a way higher echelon of skill than a typical souls player

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What’s the diff?

Let’s say someone plays 50 games all the way through, and 1 guy only plays nba2k at the highest level.

How would you describe the 2?
I don’t think you can be a hardcore gamer if you only play one game

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
How I think of it:

Casual - plays shytty f2p games, mobile games, only really popular games in franchises if they do on consoles like pokemon, nba 2k, the Sims etc. (Not that you can't be Hard-core in those games its just most people are not)

Hardcore - plays mostly console/pc, spends most of their free time playing games, tries to be competitive in multiplayer games, avoids free 2 play/pay to win type games.

I think most of us on here lean towards hardcore but probably fall in the middle.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I would call that being a gaming enthusiast not a hardcore gamer imo
I always saw an enthusiast as someone who spends a lot on gaming products. I see a hardcore gamer as someone who plays a lot of games and goes beyond the super popular mainstream titles. A casual only really dabbles in the mainstream.

If you play 3 hours a day of Madden 7 days a week and that’s the only game you play you might be a hardcore Madden player but a casual gamer overall.

If you have a large gaming collection and every console made in the last 3-4 generations you’re an enthusiast.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always saw an enthusiast as someone who spends a lot on gaming products. I see a hardcore gamer as someone who plays a lot of games and goes beyond the super popular mainstream titles. A casual only really dabbles in the mainstream.

If you play 3 hours a day of Madden 7 days a week and that’s the only game you play you might be a hardcore Madden player but a casual gamer overall.

If you have a large gaming collection and every console made in the last 3-4 generations you’re an enthusiast.
Great take and I whole heartedly agree. :salute:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Depends on which stan argument is being made.:mjlol:

Ain’t no difference, if you spend a considerable amount of your leisure time playing games, you are a gamer :manny:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I would describe myself as a casual gamer even though i log in alot of hours. its mostly on a console, mostly triple AAA cinematic games. Don't really care about difficulty as long as its fun. Not in it to be challenged, just to have fun. think games like spiderman or ghost of tsushima, but on normal mode.
only ever platinumed one game in my life.

i think of hardcore gamers as someone who can play competitively against on people like in mortal kombat. type of dude who has fatatilies memorized and shyt. Type of person you could sneak up on in COD online and still get 360 no scoped.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I would describe myself as a casual gamer even though i log in alot of hours. its mostly on a console, mostly triple AAA cinematic games. Don't really care about difficulty as long as its fun. Not in it to be challenged, just to have fun. think games like spiderman or ghost of tsushima, but on normal mode.
only ever platinumed one game in my life.

i think of hardcore gamers as someone who can play competitively against on people like in mortal kombat. type of dude who has fatatilies memorized and shyt. Type of person you could sneak up on in COD online and still get 360 no scoped.
This is pretty much my definition of a casual and hardcore gamer also.

The only thing now is there is basically a middle tier between that would be called like advanced gamer or something.

Someone that plays causally but has been around a while follows the industry a little bit and says certain games kind of competitive or for a challenge. But still aren't really hardcore.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Off the top of my head
  • using a headset and talking to strangers online vs not doing that shyt
  • pc vs console
  • keyboard vs controller
  • japanese games vs normal games
  • buying dolls at gamestop vs buying games at gamespot (less relevant these days)
  • using deals and weird promotions to lower monthly subscription costs vs just paying the couple bucks

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Casual: SNES

Hardcore: Sega Genesis & going to arcade (important)

Don't know what makes a hardcore gamer these days.... because the laughed at FMV sega CD games for casuals turned into modern narrative games that get heaps of praise. People that play narrative games don't always respect the stick skills of gaming.

I used to skip resident evil cut scenes on PS1....I just wanted to play. I thought cut scenes and talking were annoying....now in days people watch them and you are kinda forced to watch them now in days.

Tetris on Gameboy was a casual game....but because it doesn't have a cinematic story it might be hardcore these days, lol.

Last edited:

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
I’ve always considered a “Hardcore Gamer” as someone who’s main hobbies or interest revolve around gaming. Doesn’t have to be ur #1 Hobby but that shyt probably gotta be too 2-3 things ur interested in. Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and not game a lot. Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and only play 2-3 games.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, I took my switch to a wedding reception like 6 months ago, my girl hated it, but I’d rather sit and play my switch than mingle with her doo doo brained friends.