Question: Whats the difference between a casual gamer and a ‘hardcore’ gamer?

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
But at what point do you not have to shift through the firehose of content?

Do you have to play every game or watch every movie like a critic in order to be respected as hardcore?

You shouldn't have to play everything like it's your job, but you should have an eclectic taste, know some basic history and engage with the culture. Plus, there's nothing wrong with being a casual gamer:manny:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I feel like casual gamer would mostly just play what’s popular or play very infrequently.

Imo a hardcore gamer is usually either super into shyt like res and performance or constantly searching for games that are great but would get overlooked by the average gamer.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I won't even speak on what a hardcore gamer is because it's a corny term to begin with, but you can definitely be a casual while keeping up with all the console war and video game industry shenanigans.

A casual in gaming would be the same as a casual in movies or literature. He knows the big titles but not much about what goes into making the art and can't appreciate it how it is made for shyt.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was so distracted by that wedding story I forgot my question lmao

Wouldn't you consider someone who is deep into the Sims community or a serious Civ/strategy player a hardcore gamer, even if they only play one game? Does it have to be about how proficient you are at playing games, even if you log hundreds of hours?

Casual and Hardcore should be based on how invested you are in gaming culture.
Gamer is somebody who plays video game(s) plural. So if you play one game you're more of a hardcore sims player than a hardcore gamer. Hardcore in the gaming community has always been synonymous with higher skill level.

Sleepy Floyd

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
I think it's more about the level at which a person plays or tries to play.

I only have time to play a couple hours a week but I use the most advanced techniques in fighting games, the hardest combos and I always top the scoreboard in COD games. I have a good wired connection and play on a monitor so I don't lag. I'm a hardcore gamer.

A casual gamer just wants to play and doesn't care about the extra shyt. He can play on wifi on a laggy TV and he doesn't notice or care. He can play 8 hours a day and never rank up in fighting games and always be at the bottom of the leaderboard but he doesn't care or notice

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
Any number of things, but I'll add the pace at which you beat a game. I'll game in 30-45 minute sessions here and there, whereas a more hardcore gamer will beat a 10 hour campaign in a day or two.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
  • Do you follow development cycles?
  • Do you understand how games are made?
  • How many different games do you play per year?
  • How long do you game per day?
  • Apart of any communities?