Question: Whats the difference between a casual gamer and a ‘hardcore’ gamer?

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ve always considered a “Hardcore Gamer” as someone who’s main hobbies or interest revolve around gaming. Doesn’t have to be ur #1 Hobby but that shyt probably gotta be too 2-3 things ur interested in. Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and not game a lot. Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and only play 2-3 games.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, I took my switch to a wedding reception like 6 months ago, my girl hated it, but I’d rather sit and play my switch than mingle with her doo doo brained friends.

You have to be trolling

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’ve always considered a “Hardcore Gamer” as someone who’s main hobbies or interest revolve around gaming. Doesn’t have to be ur #1 Hobby but that shyt probably gotta be too 2-3 things ur interested in. Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and not game a lot. Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and only play 2-3 games.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, I took my switch to a wedding reception like 6 months ago, my girl hated it, but I’d rather sit and play my switch than mingle with her doo doo brained friends.

Capital G Gamer :huhldup:

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and not game a lot. Can’t be a Hardcore gamer and only play 2-3 games.
i think of hardcore gamers as someone who can play competitively against on people like in mortal kombat. type of dude who has fatatilies memorized and shyt. Type of person you could sneak up on in COD online and still get 360 no scoped.
I don’t think you can be a hardcore gamer if you only play one game
The harder difficulty settings.

I was so distracted by that wedding story I forgot my question lmao

Wouldn't you consider someone who is deep into the Sims community or a serious Civ/strategy player a hardcore gamer, even if they only play one game? Does it have to be about how proficient you are at playing games, even if you log hundreds of hours?

Casual and Hardcore should be based on how invested you are in gaming culture.

Last edited:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like hardcore gamers keep up with the culture. The behind the scenes shyt, stan developers/companies (shout out to GOATjima), know the rumors and controversies etc.

Casual games just keep up with the main info (commercials, release dates etc).

I look at it this way. It’s dependent on how passionate you are about video games in general. Most people know if they’re “hardcore” or “casual”

If you ONLY play Fortnite but you play daily, follow the meta, and clock like 20+ hours a week, I would consider that hardcore :yeshrug:

Alternatively you can play all the big release games each year but if you hardly ever finish them or only play games sporadically, I’d consider that casual

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I was so distracted by that wedding story I forgot my question lmao

Wouldn't you consider someone who is deep into the Sims community or a serious Civ/strategy player a hardcore gamer, even if they only play one game? Does it have to be about proficient you are at playing games, even if you log hundreds of hours?

Casual and Hardcore should be based on how invested you are in gaming culture.
nah, because then them youtubers like Pokimane who play nothing but fortnight for views would be considereed hardcore gamers. I'm sure shes really good at that game. but i literally saw a video were she tried to play some basic console game and was clueless about how a playstation controller worked. :mjlol:
thats not a gamer, thats just someone who found a lane to make money.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
picture everyone on the dance floor, slapping the ground as the DJ plays the intro to Gasolina and this loser in the corner playing Zelda
Lol nah I mean before the groom and bride come out and everyone is small talking. Lol but yeah I see what u mean 😆

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
nah, because then them youtubers like Pokimane who play nothing but fortnight for views would be considereed hardcore gamers. I'm sure shes really good at that game. but i literally saw a video were she tried to play some basic console game and was clueless about how a playstation controller worked. :mjlol:
thats not a gamer, thats just someone who found a lane to make money.

That makes sense, following that logic you can't be cinephlie if you've seen every Hitchcock film and have a deep understanding of filmmaking but haven't seen any other movies.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That makes sense, following that logic you can't be cinephlie if you've seen every Hitchcock film and have a deep understanding of filmmaking but haven't seen any other movies.

Then you’re just a Hitchcock stan, which would be really weird and might get you tracked by the FBI

Red Money

All Star
Daps

But at what point do you not have to shift through the firehose of content?

Do you have to play every game or watch every movie like a critic in order to be respected as hardcore?

Daps
Reppin
London
Hardcore gamers learn more about the deeper systems of the game they play and take that approach into games they never played. You can be a casual Destiny 2 player with 1000hrs but have not raided once or have builds good enough to do harder content.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
But at what point do you not have to shift through the firehose of content?

Do you have to play every game or watch every movie like a critic in order to be respected as hardcore?
you at least should some knowledge of each genre. Like i'm not a FPS fan myself, but it someone handed me a controller while they were playing call of duty, i can safely assume which button/trigger is to shoot, which is to aim down the sights and generic things like that which are usually common across fps games